XFree86 3.1.2E expiring date problems

Post by Ivan Tvin » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I've just installed the XFree86 3.1.2E update to the 3.1.2D beta
that expired a couple of days ago. I downloaded the ELF files
from ftp.xfree86.org and followed the upgrade procedure descriped
in RELNOTES. But running "startx" it still complains about expiration
of 3.1.2D!!?!

Can somebody help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Ivan Tving
--

Post by Mattias Brunsche » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I've just installed the XFree86 3.1.2E update to the 3.1.2D beta
> that expired a couple of days ago. I downloaded the ELF files
> from ftp.xfree86.org and followed the upgrade procedure descriped
> in RELNOTES. But running "startx" it still complains about expiration
> of 3.1.2D!!?!
> Can somebody help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Did you install the driver when beeing in text mode? Or was X11
still running when you installed 3.1.2E ?

Regards,
               Mattias

XFree86 3.1.2E expiring date problems

Post by Ivan Tvin » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> > I've just installed the XFree86 3.1.2E update to the 3.1.2D beta
> > that expired a couple of days ago. I downloaded the ELF files
> > from ftp.xfree86.org and followed the upgrade procedure descriped
> > in RELNOTES. But running "startx" it still complains about expiration
> > of 3.1.2D!!?!
> > Can somebody help me out here? Thanks in advance.

> Did you install the driver when beeing in text mode? Or was X11
> still running when you installed 3.1.2E ?

> Regards,
>                Mattias

I was in text mode - i.e. I was not running X while I was upgrading X.

Ivan
--

Post by ch.. » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> > I've just installed the XFree86 3.1.2E update to the 3.1.2D beta
>>> But running "startx" it still complains about expiration
>> > of 3.1.2D!!?!
>> > Can somebody help me out here? Thanks in advance.

>> Did you install the driver when beeing in text mode? Or was X11
>> still running when you installed 3.1.2E ?

>> Regards,
>>                Mattias

>I was in text mode - i.e. I was not running X while I was upgrading X.

I installed the X312Eupd.tgz file, and I go thte above problem, but after
I installed the new server (X312ESVGA.tgz), everything was fine.

PS, I installed it without X running.

Cheers
Chris

Y Chris H. Lindley                                              Y

Y Postal: Scotgate Cottage, Honley, West Yorkshire, HD7 2JQ, UK  Y

Post by Andy J Ro » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I've just installed the XFree86 3.1.2E update to the 3.1.2D beta
>that expired a couple of days ago. I downloaded the ELF files
>from ftp.xfree86.org and followed the upgrade procedure descriped
>in RELNOTES. But running "startx" it still complains about expiration
>of 3.1.2D!!?!
>Can somebody help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Try:

        which X

Then follow through the several levels of symbolic links to find the
actual executable.

Regards,
Andy Robb.

Post by Paul Engli » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: >I've just installed the XFree86 3.1.2E update to the 3.1.2D beta
: >that expired a couple of days ago. I downloaded the ELF files
: >from ftp.xfree86.org and followed the upgrade procedure descriped
: >in RELNOTES. But running "startx" it still complains about expiration
: >of 3.1.2D!!?!

: >Can somebody help me out here? Thanks in advance.

: Try:

:       which X

: Then follow through the several levels of symbolic links to find the
: actual executable.

Heh.. or you could try what I did, as I don't have the connectivity to download
the newer beta, (as root):
        date -s some-date-prior-to-expiration-date

*grin*

1. FLAME: Xfree86 3.1.2E is expiring: Will die?

I _HATE_ this netscapish fashion of make expiring software that seems to
spread like plague. It goes straight against the spirit of Internet-ware, but
maybe there are some (hidden/clear) reasons. One of the victims of this
'hare-virus' was the X11-Xfree86 team that released a binary only 3.1.2E-beta
version that was going to be replaced and so and so and so.... Well indeed it
is expiring and no news about that replacement...

Now it seems that all the X11 and maybe Xfree86 are going commercial
(strange mis-partial-information, people getting in and out the board of
directors and things like that...). Maybe because of this: NO MORE SOURCE CODE
and expiring beta versions that eventually die... to resurrect commercial, ET
VOILA M$$$$ (see former)

Wonderful that after the _SUCCESS_ of Linux (which means a base of Unix
systems not known before or ever dreamt of) some Unix, X11, etc., 'free'
software developpers are going commercial... It seems that the only one which
is not getting money is Linus himself (and somehow not even credit -just
remember the obnoxious liGnux thing ARGHH!!!).

Indeed the Nescape position turns on to be honest and blunt: they have been
commercial from the starting point and they give their browser for free to
Linux users (and no crippled with 'you can not save things' or alike...)

Just a question: all these people that are suddenly rushed by the 'gold
fever', are going to share their income with the thousands of contributors
spread all around the Internet that sent corrections to their bugs, broke
their video cards and/or monitors or spoiled their hard disk partitions with
their alpha, beta, gamma, and epsilon releases?

Well, Linus, what are you waiting for?, if all them are going to get money,
feel free to charge for your kernel (just remember, from now on: expiring
beta, binary only kernels) next year your expiring betas die and you are ready
to release your code to the "Y22-CONSISTORTIUM/CLOSED CRIPPLEWARE
MISFOUNDATION(=all the sharks in UN*X biz who never expect to get the $$$ they
are rising with Linux)" to retire as a MegaSOFT millionaire to play golf with
W. Gates alllllllll around the Wide World.

Et voila, MIcro$loth, Orange, HAL, et al. won the game (no more good free
software to compare against their trashware Winblows, MacDavid, OS/2222, etc)

Regards
MGM

P.S:Yes, this _IS_ a _FLAME_.
<sarcasm>
An advice for free developpers: you are wasting your time. Learn assembler,
make a Win95 virus and rise an antivirus software company.

Users: charge a fee for beta test crippleware, you will save money to buy the
_FINAL STABLE WORKING FULL FLEDGED_ release, of course if your hardware and/or
software breaks, SUIT THE DEVELOPPER and ask for a compensation (in $$$ of
course).

This way, soon we will kill all the Internet-ware and will be much richer (or
maybe poorer?!)
</sarcasm>

2. What is librt?

3. Xfree86 3.1.2E expiry date

4. 2.2.21-rc3 IDE/Keyboard problem

5. ATI Mach64 & XFree 3.1.2E Expires 9/1

6. XBF and Megahertz PCMCIA Ethernet Adapter Question

7. XFree86 3.1.2E: libXt.so.6 problem?

8. Memory error debugging idea

9. Modem problem with XFree86 3.1.2E

10. Selective key repeat in XFree86 3.1.2E

11. XFree86 3.1.2E ??

12. XFree86 3.1.2E on a TI Extensa 570CDT

13. XFree86 3.1.2E + Mach64 CT Atlantis