Matrox Mil-II and Matrox-M3d under X

Post by Peter Butle » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Greets People,

I am thinking of upgrading my system (K6-200,32MB) with a Matrox
Millenium-II and the M3d daughter card. Does anybody know if this
combination will work under Linux. I will be running Slakware(3.4) and
Xfree 3.3.1, I am not interested in 3D under Linux but would like hot 3d
graphics in doze and hot 2d overall. Somebody else suggested that a
2d/3d card such as the ATI Rage Pro might be better suited to my needs.

Any comments or experience would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance
Peewee,
--
+                              Peter Butler +           ___  ____
_ __  +
|          Year 4, BSc Software Engineering |   ___ ___/ _ \/ / /___
(_) /  |
| DeMontfort University, Leicester, England |  (_-</ -_)_, /_  _/ _ \  /
/ _ \ |

/_.__/ |
+   WWW : http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/~se94pjb +                 /_/
|___/       +

Matrox Mil-II and Matrox-M3d under X

Post by Jim Ki » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am thinking of upgrading my system (K6-200,32MB) with a Matrox
>Millenium-II and the M3d daughter card. Does anybody know if this
>combination will work under Linux. I will be running Slakware(3.4) and
>Xfree 3.3.1, I am not interested in 3D under Linux but would like hot 3d
>graphics in doze and hot 2d overall. Somebody else suggested that a
>2d/3d card such as the ATI Rage Pro might be better suited to my needs.

The current Xfree86 distribution has experimental Matrox Milenium II in the
SVGA server. It works OK, but it only allows you 256 colors (no matter what
settings you tweak).

AccelleratedX has written good support for the Millenium II card into their
latest servers, and it works great. I just downloaded the demo, and after
finally being able to get 16 million colors in X, I ordered it immediately. If
you're running any sort of desktop like KDE or Enlightenment, the color depth
really makes a difference.

In short, if you are going to stick to Xfre86, forget the Matrox card. Pick a
different one. If you are willing ot shell out the $99 for AccelleratedX, go
for it. It's a great card when you have proper drivers for it.

Post by Mark Vojkovi » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>I am thinking of upgrading my system (K6-200,32MB) with a Matrox
>>Millenium-II and the M3d daughter card. Does anybody know if this
>>combination will work under Linux. I will be running Slakware(3.4) and
>>Xfree 3.3.1, I am not interested in 3D under Linux but would like hot 3d
>>graphics in doze and hot 2d overall. Somebody else suggested that a
>>2d/3d card such as the ATI Rage Pro might be better suited to my needs.

>The current Xfree86 distribution has experimental Matrox Milenium II in the
>SVGA server. It works OK, but it only allows you 256 colors (no matter what
>settings you tweak).

   XFree 3.3.1 has accelerated support for the Millennium II in
*all* color depths.
   You must be starting it incorrectly.

startx -- -bpp 16

   exact syntax is important.

                                MArk.

Post by Mark Montag » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>I am thinking of upgrading my system (K6-200,32MB) with a Matrox
>>Millenium-II and the M3d daughter card. Does anybody know if this
>>combination will work under Linux. I will be running Slakware(3.4) and
>>Xfree 3.3.1, I am not interested in 3D under Linux but would like hot 3d
>>graphics in doze and hot 2d overall. Somebody else suggested that a
>>2d/3d card such as the ATI Rage Pro might be better suited to my needs.
>The current Xfree86 distribution has experimental Matrox Milenium II in the
>SVGA server. It works OK, but it only allows you 256 colors (no matter what
>settings you tweak).
>AccelleratedX has written good support for the Millenium II card into their
>latest servers, and it works great. I just downloaded the demo, and after
>finally being able to get 16 million colors in X, I ordered it immediately. If
>you're running any sort of desktop like KDE or Enlightenment, the color depth
>really makes a difference.
>In short, if you are going to stick to Xfre86, forget the Matrox card. Pick a
>different one. If you are willing ot shell out the $99 for AccelleratedX, go
>for it. It's a great card when you have proper drivers for it.

Forgetting Xfree86 is probably not necessary for long... the SuSE
pre-release will be out in a few weeks (see
http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html ) and the Millennium II PCI and
AGP will be supported in the next full release. The Matrox cards seem
quite popular with the folks developing 3-d acceleration
(e.g. xfree863d), so it may be a good choice for that, too, although I
don't know details of that... in general, the commercial 3d/GL stuff
from Xi or MetroX seem more stable.

In the meantime, though, the Xi graphics server appears to work great
on the Mill2AGP, at least insofar as the 10 minute test version on
their web page is concerned.

                                - M

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
DON'T PANIC! I'm a trained professional, and far more | *Why* question
  qualified to panic in this situation than you are.  |   authority?

Post by Jim Ki » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>>I am thinking of upgrading my system (K6-200,32MB) with a Matrox
>>>Millenium-II and the M3d daughter card. Does anybody know if this
>>>combination will work under Linux. I will be running Slakware(3.4) and
>>>Xfree 3.3.1, I am not interested in 3D under Linux but would like hot 3d
>>>graphics in doze and hot 2d overall. Somebody else suggested that a
>>>2d/3d card such as the ATI Rage Pro might be better suited to my needs.

>>The current Xfree86 distribution has experimental Matrox Milenium II in the
>>SVGA server. It works OK, but it only allows you 256 colors (no matter what
>>settings you tweak).

>   XFree 3.3.1 has accelerated support for the Millennium II in
>*all* color depths.
>   You must be starting it incorrectly.

>startx -- -bpp 16

>   exact syntax is important.

I tried for 2 weeks. I can't manually switch the color depth once it's
started, nor does the command-line switch do anything. I checked my XF86Config
against other machines with other brand cards which work, and found the color
setup to be identical.

It's possible that I simply can't run TrueColor at 1024x768, but that is just
as bad as far as I'm concerned.

OTOH, as soon as I installed AcceleratedX, it worked. That tells me that it's
the X-server, not my setup.

Not trying to knock Xfree. They say up fron that Millennium II support is
experimental and preliminary. I imagine that when it is done it will be fine.
And XFree works very well with many other cards.

Post by Mark Vojkovi » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>>The current Xfree86 distribution has experimental Matrox Milenium II in the
>>>SVGA server. It works OK, but it only allows you 256 colors (no matter what
>>>settings you tweak).

>>   XFree 3.3.1 has accelerated support for the Millennium II in
>>*all* color depths.
>>   You must be starting it incorrectly.

>>startx -- -bpp 16

>>   exact syntax is important.

>I tried for 2 weeks. I can't manually switch the color depth once it's
>started, nor does the command-line switch do anything. I checked my XF86Config
>against other machines with other brand cards which work, and found the color
>setup to be identical.

   You run XF86Setup, it will stick the Depth 16 entry in the
XF86Config.  You start the server with "startx -- -bpp 16".
It works on other people's machines.

                        Mark.

Post by gippa » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> The current Xfree86 distribution has experimental Matrox Milenium II in the
> SVGA server. It works OK, but it only allows you 256 colors (no matter what
> settings you tweak).

Wrong!  64K and 16MIL colors are available, even at 1280x1024.  What
have you been smoking?  Higher resolutions are available with the usual
color loss.

Quote:> In short, if you are going to stick to Xfre86, forget the Matrox card. Pick a
> different one. If you are willing ot shell out the $99 for AccelleratedX, go
> for it. It's a great card when you have proper drivers for it.

I disagree, and so do the benchmarks of video cards running X.  The
Matrox cards are the fastest available.

Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Matrox Mil-II and Matrox-M3d under X

Post by gippa » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I tried for 2 weeks. I can't manually switch the color depth once it's
> started, nor does the command-line switch do anything. I checked my XF86Config
> against other machines with other brand cards which work, and found the color
> setup to be identical.

> It's possible that I simply can't run TrueColor at 1024x768, but that is just
> as bad as far as I'm concerned.

> OTOH, as soon as I installed AcceleratedX, it worked. That tells me that it's
> the X-server, not my setup.

> Not trying to knock Xfree. They say up fron that Millennium II support is
> experimental and preliminary. I imagine that when it is done it will be fine.
> And XFree works very well with many other cards.

The Xfree86 instructions are misleading.  You need to follow the
directions on the xf86 matrox team's web site.  http://matrox.alloy.net/
......... if you follow the directions there, it WILL work.

Post by Jim Ki » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> The current Xfree86 distribution has experimental Matrox Milenium II in the
>> SVGA server. It works OK, but it only allows you 256 colors (no matter what
>> settings you tweak).
>Wrong!  64K and 16MIL colors are available, even at 1280x1024.  What
>have you been smoking?  Higher resolutions are available with the usual
>color loss.
>> In short, if you are going to stick to Xfre86, forget the Matrox card. Pick a
>> different one. If you are willing ot shell out the $99 for AccelleratedX, go
>> for it. It's a great card when you have proper drivers for it.
>I disagree, and so do the benchmarks of video cards running X.  The
>Matrox cards are the fastest available.
>Where do you people come up with this stuff?

From weeks of trying to get it to work and giving up. I'm trying some new
suggestions today. According to the directions from the Matrox Xfree team, if
you tell xf86config that you are using a Mystique, it works. If you tell it
you are using a Millenium (I) it doesn't. That was probably my problem. Right
now, though, I can't get a better resolution than 320x???. I'm going to rip
the whole thing out and try again.

so maybe support is hidden in there somewhere, but there are enough postings
about it here that makes me think that finding it is as difficult for other
people as it is for me.

OTOH, Accellerated X just works. As do other cards with XFree. Just working is
always better than weeks of tweaking, no matter how good the benchmarks are.
I'm looking forward to the non-expeimental use of the Mil II. I imagine it
will be as good as the other drivers.

Post by gippa » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> From weeks of trying to get it to work and giving up. I'm trying some new
> suggestions today. According to the directions from the Matrox Xfree team, if
> you tell xf86config that you are using a Mystique, it works. If you tell it
> you are using a Millenium (I) it doesn't. That was probably my problem. Right
> now, though, I can't get a better resolution than 320x???. I'm going to rip
> the whole thing out and try again.

> so maybe support is hidden in there somewhere, but there are enough postings
> about it here that makes me think that finding it is as difficult for other
> people as it is for me.

You need to go and read what the Matrox team said again.  They say that
If you select Millenium I, it wont work.  If you select Mil II, it will
work.  If you have a Mystique 220, you must select Mil II.  Somehow you
got it all switched around, and the Mystique I driver will NOT work with
the Mil II or the Mystique 220.  The Matrox team also says explicitly to
NOT use xf86config, but to use XF86Setup instead, because the proper
driver will NOT show up in the xf86config menu.  Go read the directions
on http://matrox.alloy.net/ again.

The support isn't hidden if you read the directions, and read them
properly.

Matrox Mil-II and Matrox-M3d under X

Post by gippa » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Don't listen to this clown.  He's obviously lying, and I've seen him
post this exact message before.  This makes me suspect it is spam and
he's simply trying to sell Accel-X.  Xfree86 supports any color depth
and any available resolution with this card.  In spite of me trying to
tell the truth about this card, there have been a LOT OF PEOPLE on this
newsgroup spewing B.S. like this.  Go to http://matrox.alloy.net/ for
info on this card and what it can do under Xfree86, and don't listen to
the stooges on this newsgroup trying to sell their expensive "better"
server.

Quote:> The current Xfree86 distribution has experimental Matrox Milenium II in the
> SVGA server. It works OK, but it only allows you 256 colors (no matter what
> settings you tweak).

> AccelleratedX has written good support for the Millenium II card into their
> latest servers, and it works great. I just downloaded the demo, and after
> finally being able to get 16 million colors in X, I ordered it immediately. If
> you're running any sort of desktop like KDE or Enlightenment, the color depth
> really makes a difference.

> In short, if you are going to stick to Xfre86, forget the Matrox card. Pick a
> different one. If you are willing ot shell out the $99 for AccelleratedX, go
> for it. It's a great card when you have proper drivers for it.

Matrox Mil-II and Matrox-M3d under X

Post by Jim Ki » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

No, I am a Linux semi-beginner (been playing with it a while, but hardly
an expert) just like lots of others here. What i find amazing is that by your
own description lots of people claim problems getting the card to work with
the server, it worked for you, and your conclusion is that we're all lying and
trying to sell something. A wee bit paranoid? Any normal person would have
concluded that there was something different between our two systems, and try
to figure out what it was. You didn't offer to help when I (or anyone else)
posted about problems - instead you insulted us, and continue to do so. I on
the other hand am trying to help others by sharing my experiences so that they
hopefully don't make the same mistakes I did.

BTW, I ended up NOT buying Accelerated X. They screwed up my order, and in the
mean time I figured out how to get Xfree to do things right. I couldn't get
any distribution to work with it properly until I downloaded the SuSE-altered
version of XFree 3.3.1. It's working like a charm for me.

But no, you keep thinking it's a * to try to sell things... Nobody is
having problems with it, we just like saying so... It'll make you happy.

Post by gippa » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> the server, it worked for you, and your conclusion is that we're all lying and
> trying to sell something. A wee bit paranoid? Any normal person would have
> concluded that there was something different between our two systems, and try
> to figure out what it was.

I've offered help here many times.  And your original post says that
THERE IS NO WAY THAT THIS CARD WILL WORK WITH MORE THAN 256 COLORS.
This hardly implies any "hardware differences", now does it?  I stand by
my guns that you're full of b.s.

Post by Doug Merri » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>mean time I figured out how to get Xfree to do things right. I couldn't get
>any distribution to work with it properly until I downloaded the SuSE-altered
>version of XFree 3.3.1. It's working like a charm for me.

This worked well for me as well. I can go up to the max limits of an
8M Millenium II with 250 Mhz RAMDAC, e.g. 1800x1440x16 or 1600x1280x24
or 1280x1024x32, etc. This is of course with a high end monitor that can
handle such high bandwidth. I think that the limited color depth at 1800x1440
is due to the RAMDAC, whereas at 1600x1280 it's because there isn't more
than 8M. Still this is all pretty nice, compared with e.g. older cards that
maxed out at 1280x1024x8.

The 250 Mhz RAMDAC option is impressive, rather than the default 220 Mhz,
so as to be able to reach that last little plateau of high resolution, although
that would be overkill on almost all monitors. In addition to bandwidth,
one needs .22 mm dot pitch on a 21" screen to resolve that many pixels.
I believe that with .25mm dot pitch, the 220 Mhz RAMDAC should suffice
for the 1600x1280 resulting approximate-max viewable pixels.

The SuSE server still isn't glitch free by a long shot, but it *is* quite
usable for the moment, IMHO, for anyone who doesn't mind refreshing their
screen once in a while to get rid of garbage, while waiting for the eventual
XFree86 3.3.2 (or 4.0 or whatever it will be).

It's not a bad situation for us early adopters.

Quote:>>>>> Go to http://matrox.alloy.net/ for    [ some sort of matrox info ]

Whoever recommended that, well, that site appears to be down this past hour,
whatever it is.
        Doug
--

Professional Wild-eyed Visionary        Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow
                Fight Spam! Join CAUCE (free) at www.cauce.org
Unicode Novis Cypherpunks Gutenberg Wavelets Conlang Logli Alife Anthro
Computational linguistics Fundamental physics Cogsci Egyptology GA TLAs

1. Matrox G200 vs Matrox Mil II pci

Hi
I've currently got linux set up to boot from the same machine as Win95.
I've found myself spending most of my time in linux so I've decided to
set linux up on a dedicated machine of its own. The current Win95
machine has a Matrox G200 which handles X-windows with good speed. I'd
like to leave this card in the windows machine since it does 3d and I
have not seen any need for 3d support in linux, but I don't want to slow
X down any.
I have a Matrox Millenium II pci card available. I'd like to use it in
my linux only box. Is it just as fast in X-windows as the G200? Is there
a faster card than either of these for X?

I'd like the X stuff to run as fast as possible. WindowMaker deserves
the best video card I can give it.:)

I know I could try both and see, but I thought I'd post here before
doing that to see if anyone has any experience with both cards(Or any
card that is faster under X).  I'd appreciate any info anyone would be
kind enough to share.

Thanks
Jim Smith

2. Can I access Samba server remotely ?

3. Xwindows for Matrox Mil. II?

4. Netmasking with Cable Modem

5. Matrox Mil II AGP patch for v2.6

6. TV-out support for Matrox Mystique G200

7. Matrox Mil II : How is it?

8. Help for beginner

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. matrox m3d support in linux?