WD/Paradise Chipset?

Post by Michael Ree » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
  I'm configuring XFree86 for the first time, and am trying to get it to
set up properly in a mode other than VGA.  Unfortunately, the card I
have is an old SVGA card, which I believe is either a Western Digital or
Paradise card ( I received the card second hand and do not have the
associated documentation).    The various prominent chip serial numbers
on the card are as follows:
WDC '90 62-003167-031; Paradise '88 PVGA1A-JK; (a smaller chip on the
side of the card reads: WD90C60-PC - I assume one of these might give
some idea of the chipset/card type?

In RH Linux I'm using Xconfigurator to try what seem to be the relevant
settings, i.e. Paradise, and Western Digital, and SVGA without any
luck.  I was just wondering if someone might recognize what the chipset
was, whether XFree86 supports it, and might have some tips on how to
configure it.  I'm a little greedy, I know :-)

Thanks,
Michael

WD/Paradise Chipset?

Post by Michael Ree » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Unfortunately, a search of the Western Digital Site doesn't seem to bring up
anything for the string "90C60".  Thanks for the idea though!  :-)

I have some additional information as well:
Under Windows 95, at an MS-DOS prompt I used the debug command suggested on
howard mann's web page to determine what the card was: an IBM Compatible
PARADISE 003056-021 Copyright WDC 1987-89.
However, I have the sneaking suspicion this just reflects the choice I made
when I specified the card under Win95 (I didn't autodetect) which works, but
may not reflect what the card actually is?

Some additional details if you're interested:
It's an ISA card.  Various other serial numbers are as follows:
A sticker on the back has a bar code and the number WP/ 50020325
Printed on the Board itself on the front right top (when inserted into a slot)

is 'WDC 1989'
On the top left front of the Board under an FCC number is the number '2190'
Another sticker on the back reads:
MAUI 8/16 F000 B 75028901
61-603381-00 Made in P.R.

I have a CTX-1451C monitor (which I do not have manuals for either,
unfortunately but
for which I've gathered some 'possibly correct' info off of the web)
The data sheet I have specifes:
H Frequency 30-50KHz
V Frequency 50-90 Hz
Sync Signal: Separate

Maximum Resolution:
Maximum: Up to 1024x768, 60Hz
Flicker free: 800-600, 75Hz
also it's a 14" 28mm dot pitch screen

I've been using Xconfigurator:
I've attempted to specify the card as a Paradise Accelerator Value    Oak
OTI-087
and as a Paradise /WD 90CXX

Since there is no setting for the monitor, I choose Custom, and have specified

50-90 as the V Freq, and try to specify 1 Meg of video memory.

I'm prompted after that to specify a clockchip, which I'm not sure how to
respond to.
I try specifying 'No clockchip' so that it will automatically probe the board
to try and
determine the clockchip, but it keeps returning me to the specification
screen.  I end
up choosing SKIP to move on.  I select the various video modes that are
offered
on
the next screen 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768, and am done with
Xconfigurator.

However, calling startx at this point is not very successful.

I should also mention that one of the error messages from calling startx
indicates that
not enough memory was detected to support certain modes.  Perhaps I am wrong
in

specifying 1M as the amount of memory on the card?

> : Hi,
> :   I'm configuring XFree86 for the first time, and am trying to get it to
> : set up properly in a mode other than VGA.  Unfortunately, the card I
> : have is an old SVGA card, which I believe is either a Western Digital or
> : Paradise card ( I received the card second hand and do not have the
> : associated documentation).    The various prominent chip serial numbers
> : on the card are as follows:
> : WDC '90 62-003167-031; Paradise '88 PVGA1A-JK; (a smaller chip on the
> : side of the card reads: WD90C60-PC - I assume one of these might give
> : some idea of the chipset/card type?

> My guess is that last one, the "90C60", 'cos that's most in line with
> their stuff that I've seen before.  Can't check on whether 3.3.3.1
> supports it, I'm in <sigh> windows.  Go to the WD site (I think
> www.westerndigital.com) and see if that brings anything up on a search.

> Good Luck!

> AC

1. X on old Dell laptop with WD/Paradise 90C22 chipset

Is this possible or am I out of luck?

Config:
    Dell 325N laptop
    running Linux 1.2.13 (running fine)
    Output from SuperProbe:
        Chipset: WD/Paradise 90C22
        Memory: 256 K
        RAMDAC:  Generic 8-bit pseudo-color DAC
                 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit model))

Everything I have looked at so far seems to point at 90C22 chipset as
being unsupported.  Is this true?  Are there any hacks?

Thanks for all your help.

2. C --> ADA ?

3. Some probs with standard WD/paradise chips

4. running linux in RAM

5. Need HELP with X Windows and WD/Paradise 90C11

6. Passing STDERR to other command

7. XFree86 driver/config for Paradise(WD) ???

8. Sparc install problems

9. WD/Paradise Video Problems

10. Help : WD paradise BAHAMAS card

11. WD/Paradise 90C33

12. Need Help setting up WD Paradise wd90c33 video

13. XF86Config for WD/Paradise 90C31