tiny menus & tooltips in enlightenment

tiny menus & tooltips in enlightenment

Post by Lloy » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 07:01:23



Help! Using Enlightenment, any menu I open is tiny - so small I can't
even tell if there's any text present, far less read it. Tooltips are
the same. I can read other text in windows - it's fine. Changing themes
alters the size and appearance of the menus and tooltips but they're
still tiny and unreadable. The menus work - by reading the config file
(menus.cfg IIRC) I've figured out what belongs to what menu-item so I
can start apps and so on, but I have to do it all basically blind. I've
read what I can about this and hunted for problem reports from other
people, but I'm stuck. I'm running Red Hat 6.2, Enlightenment 0.15.5-48
and XFree86-3.3.6-20. I can provide other info if that helps - config
files or whatever. My only hunch is that this might have something to do
with fonts. Does Enlightenment auto-size menus and tooltips according to
the size of the text they contain? If so, perhaps there's no text - or
text in a very small font-size - being written into the menus and
tooltips, and they're autosizing to something very small as a result.
It's only a guess and even if it's right I don't know how to fix it :(

TIA

Lloyd

email replies welcome: lloydb !! computerwire ^^ co ^^ uk

 
 
 

tiny menus & tooltips in enlightenment

Post by Clifford V. Moravet » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:29:47



> Help! Using Enlightenment, any menu I open is tiny - so small I can't
> even tell if there's any text present, far less read it. Tooltips are
> the same. I can read other text in windows - it's fine. Changing themes
> alters the size and appearance of the menus and tooltips but they're
> still tiny and unreadable. The menus work - by reading the config file
> (menus.cfg IIRC) I've figured out what belongs to what menu-item so I
> can start apps and so on, but I have to do it all basically blind. I've
> read what I can about this and hunted for problem reports from other
> people, but I'm stuck. I'm running Red Hat 6.2, Enlightenment 0.15.5-48
> and XFree86-3.3.6-20. I can provide other info if that helps - config
> files or whatever. My only hunch is that this might have something to do
> with fonts. Does Enlightenment auto-size menus and tooltips according to
> the size of the text they contain? If so, perhaps there's no text - or
> text in a very small font-size - being written into the menus and
> tooltips, and they're autosizing to something very small as a result.
> It's only a guess and even if it's right I don't know how to fix it :(

Next to the theme selector in the GNOME control selecter, there's
a place to select your own font for whatever theme you have selected.
Click the "Use custom font" button and then click the button below
with the current font name. This will bring up a font picker and you can
select the font face name and size.

 
 
 

tiny menus & tooltips in enlightenment

Post by Lloy » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:08:11



> > Help! Using Enlightenment, any menu I open is tiny - so small I can't
> > even tell if there's any text present, far less read it. Tooltips are
> > the same.
> > []
> > My only hunch is that this might have something to do
> > with fonts.
> > []

and Clifford V. Moravetz kindly replied:

Quote:> Next to the theme selector in the GNOME control selecter, there's
> a place to select your own font for whatever theme you have selected.
> Click the "Use custom font" button and then click the button below
> with the current font name. This will bring up a font picker and you can
> select the font face name and size.

Clifford, thanks for the suggestion. I should have explained that I'm
using Enlightenment as a barefoot window-mmanager. At this stage I'm not
using Gnome or any other desktop, only enough of Gnome to meet
Enlightenment's RPM dependencies (e.g. gnome-lib). I don't have
gnome-core installed - Enlightenment doesn't require it - and I haven't
installed the Gnome control selector you refer to nor any other Gnome
apps. I'll try out your idea - it's definitely worth experimenting with
- but I suspect that, if the problem is in fact font-related, it's at a
deeper level than Gnome and may have something to do with Enlightenment
itself.

Why would anyone use Enlightenment without Gnome or some other desktop?
For a project I have in mind I'm installing everything from the
Internet, to teach myself how and to prove to myself that it's feasible.
That means downloading as little at a time as possible, and getting
each layer working before adding the next. So, I brought up RH6.2 sans
X, then installed X. Now I'm working to get Enlightenment going - Gnome
will come after that. It's hugely instructive, and the fun of it far
outweighs the frustration :-)

Cheers

Lloyd

 
 
 

tiny menus & tooltips in enlightenment

Post by kari savolaine » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:44:05




> > > Help! Using Enlightenment, any menu I open is tiny - so small I can't
> > > even tell if there's any text present, far less read it. Tooltips are
> > > the same.
> > > []
> > > My only hunch is that this might have something to do
> > > with fonts.
> > > []

> Why would anyone use Enlightenment without Gnome or some other desktop?

Because Gnome just slows down the system, besides you can run Gnome apps
without starting Gnome itself :) That's what I do as well, I have the
Gnome stuff installed so I can run the apps but I run plain E as
desktop.

As for your question, at least in E 0.16.x fonts are normally defined in
~/.enlightenment/themes/<Theme>/textclasses.cfg file, try changing the
font name to "fixed" or something else that you have in the system for
sure. You said that you're running 0.15 though, I've never tried that so
things might be different there. Of course you can try upgrading to
0.16...

This is a section from my textclasses.cfg (the font is tahoma, it is
true type font but normal X fonts can be used as well, then you don't
specify the size with "/8"):

__TCLASS __BGN
  __NAME "MENUTEXT"
  __NORMAL "tahoma/8"
  __DRAWING_EFFECT __EFFECT_SHADOW
  __FORGROUND_COLOR 196 196 196
  __BACKGROUND_COLOR 0 0 0
  __JUSTIFICATION 1023

  __NORMAL_ACTIVE "tahoma/8"
  __DRAWING_EFFECT __EFFECT_SHADOW
  __FORGROUND_COLOR 196 196 196
  __BACKGROUND_COLOR 0 0 0  
  __JUSTIFICATION 1023

__END

// kari

--
# Consciousness reset by beer

 
 
 

1. put User Menu in a mouse pop-up menu in Gnome/Enlightenment?

Hello,

I am a relatively new Linux user (RedHat 6.2) and am trying to
customize Gnome/Enlightenment.  I have put applications want in the
User Menu (~/.gnome/apps), but I would like that menu to pop up within
the menu that comes up with a middle or right mouse button click.  I
cannot figure out how to do it.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Brian Flaherty

--
      /"\
      \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
       X        AGAINST HTML MAIL  
      / \

2. streaming undre linux

3. Enlightenment menus vs. GNOME menus

4. Quadrate24

5. Enlightenment 0.16 & Window menus

6. Linux as a programmation OS

7. Tiny menus

8. Redhat Linux 7.2 wirh PCI bridge

9. Looking for Drag&drop and ToolTips in dtksh...

10. Adding to 'Foot' Menu in Enlightenment?

11. no enlightenment application menus

12. How do you create menus in enlightenment?