could not open default font "fixed"

Post by bria » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:49:53

help

xserver starts I get the Nvidia logo screen a couple of clicks out of the
monitor and the following error

starting x font server:
an error has occured:
could not open default font "fixed"

any ideas

Brian

Post by Hal Burgis » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:11:05

> help

> xserver starts I get the Nvidia logo screen a couple of clicks out of
> the monitor and the following error

> starting x font server:
> an error has occured:
> could not open default font "fixed"

> any ideas

Run 'df'. Also, check permissions on /tmp. 1777, IIRC. Check logs too.
Maybe you have a bad font somewhere. I think the 'fixed' message,
typically really means 'no fonts available, I just tried for fixed as a
last resort, and it didn't work either, so I am useless without fonts'.

--
Hal Burgiss

Post by Jim Chishol » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:57:54

> help

> xserver starts I get the Nvidia logo screen a couple of clicks out of the
> monitor and the following error

> starting x font server:
> an error has occured:
> could not open default font "fixed"

> any ideas

> Brian

Hey Brian..
Make sure that you have a font server running (e.g. xfs under RedHat)

Jim

Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Captain/Training Officer  Bay Road Station 59

Post by Brian in SLC,U » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:14:04

> > help

> > xserver starts I get the Nvidia logo screen a couple of clicks out of
the
> > monitor and the following error

> > starting x font server:
> > an error has occured:
> > could not open default font "fixed"

> > any ideas

> > Brian

> Hey Brian..
> Make sure that you have a font server running (e.g. xfs under RedHat)

> Jim
> --

> Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
> Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
> Captain/Training Officer  Bay Road Station 59

Thanks for the replys, the font server was not running and would not start,
I had tried to install ximian and it had filled the / directory, removed the
ximian files and all was good again

brian

1. fatal server error: could not open default font "fixed"

hi list

my xwindow system doesn't start.
when i type startx the graphicmodus shifts from text to graphic. then
after a few seconds the graphicmodus is shifted back to text mode and the
following error is outputed:

fatal server error: could not open default font "fixed"

i have debian woody and a matrox mystique with 4 mb.
its a pentium 166.
i searched in the net but the tip, that i should comment out some font
paths in /etc/X11/xf86config wasn't the solution.

thx for your help
tom

------                          .-.
free source for free users!     /v\      L   I   N   U   X
                               // \\    >Phear the Penguin<
                              /(   )\
                               ^^-^^

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6)

3. Help: XFree86 startx error "could not open default font 'fixed'"

4. Request: Stories---Linux in the Large Scale?

5. couldn't open default font "fixed"

6. FTP - Server ? which one

7. Error when starting X: "couldn't open default font 'fixed'"

8. linksys

9. "could not open default font path unix/:1"

10. X crashes with "could not open font 'fixed'"

11. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

12. "netstat -nr" should show "default" or "0.0.0.0"?

13. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'