can't open xconsole

Post by Ken Gaugl » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hello folks.

I am having a strange problem trying to have an xconsole window
working under my own login.  I use a .xsession file to set up
certain windows and apps I like to have available when I log in.

Seems that because I have this .xsession file in there, I cannot
get an xconsole window to work.  The window comes up, but in the
window is the message "Couldn't open console".  If I remove the
.xsession file, the xconsole comes up fine.  Here is the important
stuff from the .xsession file:

#!bin/bash
DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISPLAY
xconsole -g 490x200-20-50 &

Has anyone else encountered and solved this problem?  A kind reader of
this group suggested I might need to define and export the DISPLAY
variable in my .bashrc, which I plan to try ASAP.  Any other ideas
out there?

TIA!

---
Ken Gaugler  Hybrid Networks, Inc.  Cupertino, Calif.

"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."

1. xconsole 'Couldn't open console'

Hi,

 I hope somebody can give me a pointer to a how to or something for xconsole.
 Trying to start xconsole I invariably get the message ? Couldn't open console
 ?. This happens also when I try to start it as root (/dev/console is rw for
 root only). The DISPLAY variable is set to ':0.0', and all error/printf
 messagesd from my programs appear on the console, as I can see when switching
 back with ctrl+alt+F1.

 What is it that I haven't understood here ?
 Thanks for your tips .

 Armand

--
email: armand(double u)(at)xs(four)all(dot)nl

-----------------????????????????????-------------------
- Stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal!!              -
- Copy these 3 sentences to your own sig.              -
- http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm       -
-----------------????????????????????-------------------

http://mojo.calyx.net/~refuse/mumia/index.html

2. Csh: Is a Variable set?

3. Why can't open /dev/console when user xconsole ???

4. Help,Au secour

5. xconsole : Couldn't open console !!!

6. Deleting mail from the server

7. xconsole couldn't open

8. Socket question - client that connects multiple times

9. xconsole can't open /dev/console?

10. xconsole - Error Couldn't open console

11. xconsole: Couldn't open console

12. xconsole can't open /dev/console

13. xconsole.... "Couldn't open console"??