problem starting X

Post by Arpad Horvat » Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:00:00

When I run 'startx' I can see X come up and xclock briefly before
it shuts down again. The error messages are:

xterm:unable to find usable termcap entry

possible remedies for this?

thanks

problem starting X

Post by Ovidiu Mot » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> When I run 'startx' I can see X come up and xclock briefly before
> it shuts down again. The error messages are:

> xterm:unable to find usable termcap entry

> possible remedies for this?

> thanks

Your /etc/printcap file does not contain an entry for your terminal
type. Check arround.

Regards,

Ovidiu Motz

problem starting X

Post by arp » Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > When I run 'startx' I can see X come up and xclock briefly before
> > it shuts down again. The error messages are:

> > xterm:unable to find usable termcap entry

> > possible remedies for this?

> > thanks

> Your /etc/printcap file does not contain an entry for your terminal
> type. Check arround.

> Regards,

> Ovidiu Motz

Hmmm.. Don't have a /etc/printcap file. What (if any) are the necessary
environment variables?
Is there anywhere on the web a detailed description of how X runs e.g. what
initialization
files and env variables X reads etc... ?
regards,
- arp