*HELP!* - XF863.3, ET6000, Netscape, >8bpp

*HELP!* - XF863.3, ET6000, Netscape, >8bpp

Post by Ben Hemmi » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi there, I'm currently in the midst of trying to get my newly upgraded computer
working to my satisfaction (a slow and painful process :P)

anyway after some starting problems with linux installation etc (the problem
seems to have been the AMD K5 chip.. it's gone away now that I'm using a
true Pentium) I am now playing with getting X11 working.

Problem 1>:
So far I have yet to get a stable system running with more than 8 bpps,
I also have been unable to get x running in more than 8 bpps using any other
method than using an .xserverrc file (one line -> /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 24 (or
whatever other depth)) for some reason doing this results in a large lag between
the stippled x11 screen coming up and fvwm2 kicking in, it also seems to be
strange when I quit, esp if I use ctrl-D to kill the primary x-term, normally
(ie without the .xserverrc) it kills everything and brings me back to my
virtual console, with the .xserverrc it kills fvwm and looks like it kills the
x11 (the display goes somewhat broken) but it then redraws the screen (shows a
new one?) which then sits there... is using a .xserverrc in this way trying to
open two xservers? one after the other one closes?

so is there another way of starting x in depths other than the default?
I tried inserting a DefaultDisplayDepth 16 line in my XF86Config but couldn't
seem to find anywhere where it would work.

Problem 2>:
Netscape! aside from the bus errors (I have since had a look at the relevent
page for this problem (members.ping.at/theofilu/netscape.html)) I have a wierd
problem with gfx: while xv shows gifs and jpgs more or less fine (see NEXT
Problem) Netscape, while showing gifs fine doesn't do jpgs well at all,
basically if I look at JPGs with netscape I get a big mess, which resembles
the original picture only in the slightest.. like it has not completely decoded
the jpg or something.. bright colours (pinks, purples etc) and big wierd blocky
areas which sortof make out the outline of what should be there.

any ideas?

Problem 3>: this one is a bit more minor but still irritating,
even using xv I get little errors while showing pictures that have a white
background, I get little pink/purple dots appearing on the white areas,
reloading the picture or resizing it etc changes the location of the dots
(they seem to be a more or less random artefact) but doesn't get rid of them.

ok thanks for bearing with me so far.. heres what I'm having these problems on:

Pentium 166 (true intel)
VX 430 motherboard
32 meg dimm (sdram)
Versailles (only obvious title on the box) ET6000 gfx card with 2 meg
heres what SuperProbe says:
First video: Super-VGA
        Chipset: Tseng ET6000 (PCI Probed)
        Memory:  2048 Kbytes
        RAMDAC:  Tseng Labs ET6000 built-in 15/16/24-bit DAC w/pixel-mux,clock
                 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))

Debian Installation on linux (1.3 debian)
Kernel 2.0.30
Fvwm2
Netscape 3.01

any help Hugely apreciated, I'm so sick of linux not working right for me
(no problems like this whatsoever on my old 486 :P)
Ben.
(either reply here or to my e-mail I'm reading both)

Post by Ang Ho Soo » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> [...]

> Pentium 166 (true intel)
> VX 430 motherboard
> 32 meg dimm (sdram)
> Versailles (only obvious title on the box) ET6000 gfx card with 2 meg
> heres what SuperProbe says:
> First video: Super-VGA
>         Chipset: Tseng ET6000 (PCI Probed)
>         Memory:  2048 Kbytes
>         RAMDAC:  Tseng Labs ET6000 built-in 15/16/24-bit DAC
> w/pixel-mux,clock
>                  (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))

> Debian Installation on linux (1.3 debian)
> Kernel 2.0.30
> Fvwm2
> Netscape 3.01

> any help Hugely apreciated, I'm so sick of linux not working right for
> me
> (no problems like this whatsoever on my old 486 :P)
> Ben.
> (either reply here or to my e-mail I'm reading both)

  try runnin x like this
$startx -- -bpp 16 &

1. Newbie > XF863.3 > Mystique > Ugly Black Borders!

I have managed to install XFree86 3.3 with my Matrox Mystique
card and it all seems to work fine except for the large ugly
black borders around the edge of the monitor. I have tried to
change this with xvidtune but this will only allow me to make
minor changes to position/width/height. I can expand the screen
display using the monitors functions keys to eliminate the border
but the next time I restart Linux I have to do this over again.
Have I missed something in the configuration here???

P166 32Megs

Linux 2.0.29
RedHat 4.1
Scepter 17" Monitor.

Any Help Appreciated. Thanks!

------------------------------------
Norman Baccari

Toronto,Ontario
CANADA
------------------------------------

2. linux shows no space on windows drive

3. Netscape/Java crash w/ > 8bpp

4. Adding DSO standard module?

5. CL-GD 5428 >8bpp >16 M patch

6. Parallel port scanner