X11 blanks screen to white, wearing out monitor

X11 blanks screen to white, wearing out monitor

Post by Robert McIlharg » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

We have a linux workstation in our computer lab that blanks the screen to
bright white. I'm afraid that this will wear out the phosphorus on the
monitor. All of our other linux boxes blank to black. What configuration
file contains the settings for the screen blanker?

--
Rob.

http://justice.loyola.edu/~rmcilhar/     | Alt.sport.falconry FAQ         |

1. Console-Screen-Blanking: black chars on white screen

Hi,

I'm doing a lot of my work on the Linux console. Used to that good old
ASCII-Terminals I looked for a utility that would give me black
characters on a white screen. I found setpalette from Koen Gadeyne's
SVGATextMode-Packackage (thanks Koen). The following ioctl's along
with a proper setting of kernel_palette do the job:

    fd = opentty("/dev/console");
    if (ioctl(fd, GIO_CMAP, kernel_palette))
    if (ioctl(fd, PIO_CMAP, kernel_palette))

But there is one disadvantage: The routines for screen blanking simply
make everything show up with the background's color. This gives me a
blanked screen, which is really paperwhite :-(

Any hints ?

Gerd

2. Passwords -- MS -- Unix (NIS)

3. Screen blanks white with Diamond Stealth 32

4. Multiple Xservers at the console

5. screen blanks to white

6. Compiling x0rfbserver for Solaris

7. X11 Screen Blanking

8. Question w/ PIC code

9. C'mon, we all know MSFT wears the pants and Linux wears the dress

10. redhat 7.3 trident 9680 acer 55l monitor = blank screen

11. Monitor powersave and screen blanking modes

12. monitor screen blank after install