XWindows help needed

Post by David Whitn » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:44:04

Okay, all, I have to go to the Mount of XWindow Stupidity and claim
it.

I've been wrestling with what should have been a very simple XWindows
setup, and I've botched it. I'll try to keep this simple:

1. I have a Slackware Linux box
2. I have a W2K PC.
3. I'd like to run Xterm sessions on the PC against the Linux box.

What have I done:

1. Installed Cygwin/XFree86 on my W2K box. Installation was
essentially errror free; it starts up as advertised.
2. In an xterm window within CygWin/XFree86, with the XServer running,
I tried:
'rstart -v <linuxIP> xterm -display 10.10.10.4:0'
  That gets me "cannot open display 10.10.10.4:0.0: refused by server"
and
  'XLib: No protocol specified."
3. Realizing I haven't started an Xwindow display session, I fire up
xwin,
   and then use xauth to get its local info. I then go to xauth on my
linux
   box and add that information therein.
4. Already realizing I'm way off base, I start trying to fire up XDM
on the
   linux box, but that doesn't get me anywhere, either.

I've pored through the Cygwin docs and numerous searches on Google
since early AM today, and I'm getting more confused. I know I'll feel
incredibly stupid when I discover the answer.

As I said, all I want to do is as noted above, and I thought I was
smart enough to get it done. Silly me.

What have I missed?

Thanks in advance,
David

XWindows help needed

Post by Norman Levi » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:22:04

You have to set up your linux display manager (KDM, XDM or GDM??) so it will
handle XDMCP.  Couple of files you need to modify for that to happen.

Then, from your windows machine, after you've openned the bash shell - you
can
cd /usr/X11R6/bin
./xwin -from 'linuxaddree' -to 'winaddress' -ac
I think the -ac was to have minimum access controls.
Norm

| Okay, all, I have to go to the Mount of XWindow Stupidity and claim
| it.
|
| I've been wrestling with what should have been a very simple XWindows
| setup, and I've botched it. I'll try to keep this simple:
|
| 1. I have a Slackware Linux box
| 2. I have a W2K PC.
| 3. I'd like to run Xterm sessions on the PC against the Linux box.
|
| What have I done:
|
| 1. Installed Cygwin/XFree86 on my W2K box. Installation was
| essentially errror free; it starts up as advertised.
| 2. In an xterm window within CygWin/XFree86, with the XServer running,
| I tried:
| 'rstart -v <linuxIP> xterm -display 10.10.10.4:0'
|   That gets me "cannot open display 10.10.10.4:0.0: refused by server"
| and
|   'XLib: No protocol specified."
| 3. Realizing I haven't started an Xwindow display session, I fire up
| xwin,
|    and then use xauth to get its local info. I then go to xauth on my
| linux
|    box and add that information therein.
| 4. Already realizing I'm way off base, I start trying to fire up XDM
| on the
|    linux box, but that doesn't get me anywhere, either.
|
| I've pored through the Cygwin docs and numerous searches on Google
| since early AM today, and I'm getting more confused. I know I'll feel
| incredibly stupid when I discover the answer.
|
| As I said, all I want to do is as noted above, and I thought I was
| smart enough to get it done. Silly me.
|
| What have I missed?
|
| Thanks in advance,
| David

XWindows help needed

Post by Wayne Thro » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:56:20

: 1. I have a Slackware Linux box
: 2. I have a W2K PC.
: 3. I'd like to run Xterm sessions on the PC against the Linux box.

Do you mean that the xterm process is running on the PC, displaying
somewhere else?  Or do you mean it's DISPLAYing on the PC, and running
somewhere else?

: 1. Installed Cygwin/XFree86 on my W2K box. Installation was
: essentially errror free; it starts up as advertised.

This makes it seem you want to executet he xterm process elsewhere,
and display on the PC's Cygwin server... is that right?

: 2.  In an xterm window within CygWin/XFree86, with the XServer
: running, I tried: 'rstart -v <linuxIP> xterm -display 10.10.10.4:0'
: That gets me "cannot open display 10.10.10.4:0.0: refused by server"
: and 'XLib: No protocol specified."

Is 10.10.10.4 the IP of the PC?
If so, then the problem is that you haven't given the processes
running on the linux box permission to connect to your server.

: 3.  Realizing I haven't started an Xwindow display session,

Huh?  You said you were running xterm.  How did you manage to
run xterm without an "Xwindow display session" (by which I assume
you mean, an X server) ??

: I fire up xwin, and then use xauth to get its local info.  I then go
: to xauth on my linux box and add that information therein.

OK... so now processes running on the linux box (and using the same
Xauthority file to which you added the magic cookie) have permissions
to run against the X server on the PC.

Next obvious step: start an xterm and see if it can connect this time.

Instead:

: 4.  Already realizing I'm way off base, I start trying to fire up XDM
: on the linux box, but that doesn't get me anywhere, either.

Huh?  What does XDM have to do with it?  Why didn't you try
starting an xterm process?

In short... I'm left seriously confused about what you want to accomplish.

XWindows help needed

Post by David Whitn » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:07:56

> : 1. I have a Slackware Linux box
> : 2. I have a W2K PC.
> : 3. I'd like to run Xterm sessions on the PC against the Linux box.

> Do you mean that the xterm process is running on the PC, displaying
> somewhere else?  Or do you mean it's DISPLAYing on the PC, and running
> somewhere else?

The latter. I want to fire the XTerm on the Linux machine, and display
it on my PC running CygWin/XFree86.

Quote:

> : 1. Installed Cygwin/XFree86 on my W2K box. Installation was
> : essentially errror free; it starts up as advertised.

> This makes it seem you want to executet he xterm process elsewhere,
> and display on the PC's Cygwin server... is that right?

Correct.

Quote:

> : 2.  In an xterm window within CygWin/XFree86, with the XServer
> : running, I tried: 'rstart -v <linuxIP> xterm -display 10.10.10.4:0'
> : That gets me "cannot open display 10.10.10.4:0.0: refused by server"
> : and 'XLib: No protocol specified."

> Is 10.10.10.4 the IP of the PC?
> If so, then the problem is that you haven't given the processes
> running on the linux box permission to connect to your server.

> : 3.  Realizing I haven't started an Xwindow display session,

> Huh?  You said you were running xterm.  How did you manage to
> run xterm without an "Xwindow display session" (by which I assume
> you mean, an X server) ??

This was one of the points where I became confused as the day
progressed. I began to think that CygWin/XFree86 was something like a
"session" manager, and I needed to fire up a separate "display"
manager separately. I finally realized this was a red herring.

Quote:

> : I fire up xwin, and then use xauth to get its local info.  I then go
> : to xauth on my linux box and add that information therein.

> OK... so now processes running on the linux box (and using the same
> Xauthority file to which you added the magic cookie) have permissions
> to run against the X server on the PC.

> Next obvious step: start an xterm and see if it can connect this time.

Still couldn't connect. Opening of the display window on the PC fails.
Here's the really oddball part; when I did the 'rstart' of the xterm
session from the PC and specified the display of my pc, I discovered
the xterm session did, in fact, start; *but* on the KDE environment
that I had started earlier (for unrelated reasons) ON THE LINUX
machine.  When I shut down KDE, and did the 'rstart' again from the
PC's CygWin session, I then get a TCP/IP connection error; as though
its trying to connect only to the Linux machine's displays even though
I'm *specifying* a different display.

Quote:> Instead:

> : 4.  Already realizing I'm way off base, I start trying to fire up XDM
> : on the linux box, but that doesn't get me anywhere, either.
> Huh?  What does XDM have to do with it?  Why didn't you try
> starting an xterm process?

Well, as I said, I started wandering off in various directions, and
that's why I got confused, and started doing all manner of wrong
things, and realized I needed some guidance. I realize now xdm has
nothing to do with it, at least I'm reasonably certain it doesn't

Quote:> In short... I'm left seriously confused about what you want to accomplish.

Well, I tried to state it above, and didn't do a very good job of it;
I just want to start an xterm session on my Linux machine and direct
its display to an XWindows server on my PC in the specific, and do the
same for other Xwindows apps in general.

I appreciate your patience, because I know how idiotic I must sound.
That's why I'm forcing myself to go through these steps and learn it.
I hate being on the stupid user side of this equation.

-dew

XWindows help needed

Post by Norman Levi » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:23:02

Depending on how you bring up 'xwin' - you may or maynot get a xterm which
is
running bash on your cygwin/windows machine.  Of course, that is NOT the
xterm from
the linux machine that is wanted.  In that case, why not use the xterm to
bring
up 'telnet linux-machine-ip' and login.  You could bring up an xterm their
with
the 'xterm -display windows-machine-ip:0  & '

If you do this, then BEFORE you start the linux xterm, you will have to use
the
local xterm to 'xhost +' for test purposes to see if the linux box can talk
your windows box.  I run with zonealarm so you can see every attempt to
reach
the windows machine AND all the attempts for xwin to talk to the linux box.
norm

> [...]
| > starting an xterm process?
|
| Well, as I said, I started wandering off in various directions, and
| that's why I got confused, and started doing all manner of wrong
| things, and realized I needed some guidance. I realize now xdm has
| nothing to do with it, at least I'm reasonably certain it doesn't
|
| > In short... I'm left seriously confused about what you want to
accomplish.

| Well, I tried to state it above, and didn't do a very good job of it;
| I just want to start an xterm session on my Linux machine and direct
| its display to an XWindows server on my PC in the specific, and do the
| same for other Xwindows apps in general.
|
| I appreciate your patience, because I know how idiotic I must sound.
| That's why I'm forcing myself to go through these steps and learn it.
| I hate being on the stupid user side of this equation.

XWindows help needed

Post by David Whitn » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 00:30:33

All:

As I predicted, my error would be a stupid one. I found it in about
five minutes the next morning after I gave up the previous night (and
posted my original message).

When I added the info for the CygWin PC X display into the Linux xauth
table, I added the hostname reference incorrectly. When I added the
reference with an explicit IP address, everything worked the way I
expected.

Sheesh. I *knew* it would be stupid.

Thanks to all who offered help. Now I'm just off to customize
everything...

-David