Help with S3 ViRGE/XFree setup!

Post by cbebb » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I was trying to help a friend get XFree going on his machine, but we ran into
some problems when trying a 'startx'.  The following is the script of what it
was barfing.  I made sure to install the S3 ViRGE (Trio 64+) goodies too, so
if anyone knows what we could possibly do to get it working, I'd really
appreciate a response.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

-Charlie

--
WWW: http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~cbebber
PGP: 768 0x2F9B4879  35 93 D1 42 D0 45 44 CB  E7 8F 64 37 FB FD 54 5C

Post by F. GALIEGU » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I was trying to help a friend get XFree going on his machine, but we ran into
> some problems when trying a 'startx'.  The following is the script of what it
> was barfing.  I made sure to install the S3 ViRGE (Trio 64+) goodies too, so
> if anyone knows what we could possibly do to get it working, I'd really
> appreciate a response.  Thanks in advance.

> Regards,

> -Charlie

> --
> WWW: http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~cbebber
> PGP: 768 0x2F9B4879  35 93 D1 42 D0 45 44 CB  E7 8F 64 37 FB FD 54 5C

  According to X output, the problem is with your monitor section, which seems
to be awfully configured (see al the "blah" mode needs RR of blah - deleted).

The problem doesnt come from your video as X has perfectly recognized it.

So you have to go to your monitor sections and enter proper settings in
horizonal and vertical refresh rates. You can pick these out in your monitor
user's manual.

1. S3 ViRGE/DX and S3 ViRGE/GX: is one better than the other?

On a friend's recommendation, I ordered an S3 ViRGE/DX video card for
the PC I am putting together. I received an S3 ViRGE/GX card instead.

Is one better than the other in general? Is one more compatible with
XFree86? Or are the two roughly the same, so that I should just keep
the GX card?

Thanks for your input,

Mike Decerbo

617-873-4443

2. GTK+: resizing the top level window?

3. Screen size when using XFree/Metro-X with S3/ViRGe 3D

4. Stupid question, Part II

5. updating xfree to be able to run S3 Virge

6. Linux 2.5 and Parallel Port Zip 100

7. XFree 4.0 with S3 Virge: can't go back to console

8. Working with BIG data files in C

9. S3 Virge 375 with XFree

10. XFree 3.1.2 and S3 Virge Chipset

11. Flashing screen on S3-Virge and new XFree

12. XFree With an S3 Virge...

13. XFree and #9(S3 Virge)