Two X clients

Post by Arthur Chi » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I started two (possibly more) XFree86 clients with startx in two different vt.
I checked with pstree and found two branches of X invocation.
The two X clients are the same (same server, same resolution,..., (sure, they run on the
same computer!)) except directed to different vt.
Is there a better way to start the second client so as to save memory space?

Two X clients

Post by Prasanth Kuma » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I started two (possibly more) XFree86 clients with startx in two different vt.
> I checked with pstree and found two branches of X invocation.
> The two X clients are the same (same server, same resolution,..., (sure, they run on the
> same computer!)) except directed to different vt.
> Is there a better way to start the second client so as to save memory space?

First of, you start the *server* using startx. A client is an actual
application you run
on this server. Is there any particular reason you are trying to start 2
servers? You
can run multiple clients on each server...each will get their own
window. To save
memory, you just don't run 2 servers!

--
Prasanth Kumar

Two X clients

Post by Arthur Chi » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Pls show me how to start, say, fvwm2 when a server is already running for fvwm or icewm.

Two X clients

Post by David Kaczyns » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Pls show me how to start, say, fvwm2 when a server is already running for fvwm or icewm.

Go to a virtual terminal/console and login.
Run "startx"
Once it's running load whichever window manager you want from an xterm
(e.g., fvwm2).

Go to a new virtual terminal and login
Run "startx -- :1"
Once it's running, load whichever window manager you want from an
xterm (e.g., fvwm).

You can switch back and forth between the two X clients by using the
appropriate CTRL+ALT+Function keys.

1. Two consoles and/or two X servers/clients together?

Hello all,

I want to know, whether or not it is possible
to use two different
graphic devices connected to two different
monitors TOGETHER under
X-windows.

I have one primary SVGA device (Matrox
Millenium) connected to a
multisync monitor and a Hercules monochrome
device connected to a (of
course) monochrome monitor.
I normally use the XF86_SVGA server but the
XF86_Mono server works as
well. Can they be used together in any way
instead of only one or the
other?

Would it be possible to use both devices and
monitors as a kind of "dual
consoles" as well?

Any help will be appreciated, TIA for your replies.

Regards
Gerhard

2. COMMERCIAL: MPAS Software - Easy resource management for Linux

3. Two Cable Modems, two clients...how to route?

4. _STILL_ get "_setutent: Can't open utmp file.."

5. Connecting two machines:; Client only communicate with server when server continuously pings client.

6. looped back...

7. How to setup two terminals, two keyboards, two mouses?

8. Intel SE7210TP1-E

9. two routers (two wans) connecting to one lan using two nics.

10. two dsl connections, two routers, dual nics on linux box , want to run two websites

11. Connecting two machines, Problem: They only communicate properly when server is pinging the clients ip.

12. One DHCP Server for clients on two subnets

13. Two clients to one floppyfw gateway