Editing xinitrc & menu items

Post by Haghani Sas » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 04:18:27

Is there a FAQ or HOWTO on how to endit the XFree86 initialization file (I
believe its called xinitrc) so that you can start up programs when X starts up.
Also, how can I go about editing the menu items that appear when I click my left
mouse button on the X desktop (a menu appears listing programs, shells,
functions and options to quit X) so that I can add my own programs.

Any info on XFree86 configuration and customization is appreciated.
Thanks.

Sasha Haghani
Toronto, Canada

Editing xinitrc & menu items

Post by Michael Petsal » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 07:53:16

|> Is there a FAQ or HOWTO on how to endit the XFree86 initialization file (I
|> believe its called xinitrc) so that you can start up programs when X starts up.

I don't believe that there's a faq on the subject, but there are some
useful books that can really help.  Personally, I recommend anything
from the O'Reilly series of books on X (I believe that vol. 4, the red
one, is what you need).

|> Also, how can I go about editing the menu items that appear when I click my left
|> mouse button on the X desktop (a menu appears listing programs, shells,
|> functions and options to quit X) so that I can add my own programs.

A lot of the info that you're looking for is window-manager-dependent.
For setting up options like the ones you mention you must edit a file in
you home directory called .<window-manager>rc (eg. .twmrc for "twm", .fvwmrc
for "fvwm").  The syntax of these is quite different, but all are easy
to learn and understand. You also have a file called .xinitrc in which you
may start the window-manager of your choice (in fact you may have several
.xinitrc's, which are specific to each window manager, but that's another
story).

Best approach for you is to find someone who has a "neat" setup and ask them
for their init files as named above, look through them and adapt them to
your needs.  That's what most people do, until they really get the hang of
things.  You don't become a guru overnight... :) and god knows I'm NOT one.

Hope this helps

Mike

--

Bell Northern Research - Ottawa, Canada
    N.B:  Any opinions mentioned here are thankfully my own.