IBM ScrollPoint II scroll stick?

Post by Diego Zambon » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:12:16

Hi,

I have an IBM ScrollPoint II mouse. This is the type of mouse that has
a scroll stick instead of a scroll wheel. The mouse works OK, but I
have been unable to get the stick to be recognized for scrolling.

Here is the mouse section of my XF86Config-4 file:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

But still, no luck. The MouseManPlusPS/2 protocol is what the XFree86
README.mouse file suggests for this mouse. I have also tried setting
"ZAxisMapping" to "4 5 6 7" (because the stick moves in 2 dimensions)
with the same results.

This is with XFree86 4.1.0, RedHat 7.2 and kernel 2.4.17-pre7.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
--Diego

1. IBM Scrollpoint Pro mouse stick

I recently bought an IBM Scrollpoint Pro mouse. Instead of a scroll wheel
this mouse has a stick which allows you to scroll both horizontally and
vertically.

Some googling gave me the following working lines for XF86Config:

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7 4 5"

The XFree86 documentation said that I should use protocol
MouseManPlusPS/2, but then the stick didn't work at all.

Now checking with xev all 3 buttons and the stick does generate events,
however the stick doesn't behave as I expected. I thought that the stick
would behave like a mini joystick, moving up and down for two buttons and
left and right for the other two buttons. However moving the stick
sideways does not generate any event. Moving the stick up generates one of
two possible events and the remaining two events gets generated by moving
the stick down. Which of the two events seems to depend on where I put my
finger on the stick. If I put my finger far to the left on the stick while
moving the stick up I get another event than if I put my finger far to the
right of the stick.

Does anyone else have any experience from this mouse? Is this the way it
is supposed to behave?

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

2. LILO doesn't install

3. IBM Scrollpoint mouse?

4. visionfs license key invalid

5. Does IMwheel work for IBM Scrollpoint Mouse?

6. WTerm Question

7. IBM ScrollPoint mouse.

8. 2.5.49-mm1

9. IBM 3-button scroll mouse

10. xterm scrolling question => how to get automatic scrolling with mouse?

11. Konqueror, scrolling, and black scrolled portions of the screen.

12. Scroll Mouse not scrolling

13. 4D+ Scrolling Mouse (Scroll FX) by Micro