Strange vi-editing behaviour in editing XF86Config

Strange vi-editing behaviour in editing XF86Config

Post by Sander De Graa » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Last week I was editing the /etc/X11/XF86Config of Debian Linux 2.0.6.
and XFree86 3.1.2. and I had the strangest experience.

I was editing in tty0 (alt-F1). When I wrote XF86Config and quitted vi,
and after that started X (startx) it seemed that there was something
odd. Startx didn't complete. When I tried xinit, everything was okay.

I tried to start X in tty1 (altF2) where it worked fine. Also did xinit
work.

This seems strange to me, because they both use the same file, (I made
sure that vi was properly closed) Both both terminals gave (very
different) results.

After a reboot everything was fine. Both (in fact all) terminals could
startx, until I edited XF86Config once more. startx doesn't work in a
terminal where I've edited XF86Config.
Several reboots later ander everything was still the same, it all works
fabulous, except after editing.
When I edited the file with 'ae' there were never any problems.

I hope someone can do something with this.

Sander
--

1. why doesn#t "set -o vi" enable vi style cmdln editing?

Hi,

I am running RH6.1 and want to use the vi style command line editing.
From the bash shell I entered

set -o vi

and I can the environment variable _ ist set to vi. However I the
retrieve key "esc K" for example would just echo another k on the
command line. It may be stupid to say, but it seems when I enter "set -o
vi" often enough, it does work eventually.

Anyone has clue why it is like that? "set -o emacs" does work
immediately.

2. Question about upgrading

3. Editing a 4.7Mb file (VI limit 2Mb)

4. Search Buy a Alpha Plateform ..

5. command line editing using the vi keys

6. Unix security tutorial??

7. VI on openBSD, Is there anything else out there for editing text files?

8. Console switch box for PC and Sun workstation?

9. How to invoke VI editor to edit buf[] from within C program ?

10. text mixed up after editing with vi

11. VI not displaying entire file for editing

12. ksh Filename Completion using vi command line editing mode?

13. How to view/edit xf86config?