Help -- Xserver already running?

Post by Scott Gues » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I installed XFree86 3.3.3.1 and got good results.  Unfortunately, now
when I log in
as a user instead of root and "startx" I get the following message.

     1
     2 _XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener()
failed
     3 _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
     4
     5 Fatal server error:
     6 Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server
isn't already running
     7
     8 When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
     9 the full server output, not just the last messages
    10
    11 _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
    12 giving up.
    13 xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X
server
    14 xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

No matter how many times I exit, reboot, or change consoles the problem
remains but only
when I log in as user.  If I exit and log back in as root all is well
again.

Please help.  Thanks.
Scott Guess
Scott.Guess at Asu.edu

1. how to see a display thats already displayed (vnc and xserver q)

Dear newsgroup,

maybe this does not match 100% to this group, but it is heavily related
to networking.

I have set up a linux box for my parents, who are living some hundred
kilometers away. I thought that i could use vnc if they are in trouble.
But in fact, in contrast to win32-systems, the vncserver sets up a new
display, so that i can not see the display my parents are looking at.

What can i do. i thought of starting a vncserver then a windowmanager
with the only application being a vncviewer connected to the display of
the vncserver. Then i could connect to the same vncserver and see the
same display. But thats a bit ugly, because you always have one window
(the vncviewer) with the other windows as parents.

Isnt there a more direct solution. Maybe one can achieve the same results
with raw x-stuff?

Thanx for help, c.

____________________

Christian Verbeek    \    http://ais.gmd.de/~verbeek
Bergstrasse 18a       \   phone: +49 2241 142404
53757 Sankt Augustin   \         +49 2241 333041
Germany                 \___________________________

2. Another IP Masquerading problem

3. X says that an xserver is already started

4. arch-ppc64

5. Running xdm without run XServer

6. Extend /var

7. HELP: gpm-Linux is already running at pid xx

8. gcc error(sig11 strikes again!)

9. Help running Openwindows on remote Xserver

10. Saving the terminal output for a jobs already running.????????

11. inetd: dhcpd already running

12. Find already running instance of program in C

13. shutdown: already running (was Re: Big problems with SysVinit 2.60)