: Netscape problem - Backspace key again

: Netscape problem - Backspace key again

Post by Michael T. Peterso » Sun, 03 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm running Netscape V1.1N, XFree 3.2.1, on Linux and have a problem that occurs
under both FVWM and MWM.  The only editing key I am able to use is the backspace
key!  And even then it will only "delete-char-to-the-right".

Can someone help me with this problem?

Regards,

/mtp

   |   Michael T. Peterson     | The hell you say.  My opinions are my own |
   |   http://www.aa.net/~mtp/ | and worth every damn cent you paid.       |

: Netscape problem - Backspace key again

Post by Jangho Ki » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>backspace key to work under Netscape?

***
Make a file called .bashrc in your $HOME
Put the following lines in the file(.bashrc)
or put it the end of your .profile in $HOME

xterm*VT100*translations: #override\
    <Key>Delete:   string(0x04)\n\
    <Key>Home:     string(0x1b) string("[1~")\n\
    <Key>End:      string(ox1b) string("[4~")

Put the following lines in your xinitrc file.
make sure you put these lines before you call up your windows manager.

xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"

Restart your X.

Now, backspace key works not only in Netscape, but also in any
X-Windows's application.
Good news is DEL key and BACKSPACE work just like in DOS.

THAT'S IT....

                        http://www.scsu-cs.ctstateu.edu/homes/kim

Post by Peter Dalgaar » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>backspace key to work under Netscape?
>***
>Make a file called .bashrc in your $HOME
>Put the following lines in the file(.bashrc)
>or put it the end of your .profile in $HOME

>xterm*VT100*translations: #override\
>    <Key>Delete:   string(0x04)\n\
>    <Key>Home:     string(0x1b) string("[1~")\n\
>    <Key>End:      string(ox1b) string("[4~")

>Put the following lines in your xinitrc file.
>make sure you put these lines before you call up your windows manager.

>xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
>xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"

You also want <Key>BackSpace: string(0x7f) among the translations, at least if
you want to run emacs in terminal mode. Also, make sure you know what you're
doing when you let Delete send ctrl-D to applications (sometimes it means
end-of-file).

This is one of the valid ways of fixing the Delete/BackSpace trouble. Another
class of solutions is to use OSF virtual bindings (about 3 different ways of
doing that). The potential drawback of this one is if some X-application should
happen to have Delete hardcoded for deleting. Anyone know if there are any such
programs around? (Programs that use BackSpace for delete-left are generally
Motif and can therefore be configured by binding Delete to osfBackSpace).

--
   O_   ---- Peter Dalgaard
  c/ /'  --- Dept. of Biostatistics

: Netscape problem - Backspace key again

Post by Dave Toppe » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Make a file called .bashrc in your $HOME
>Put the following lines in the file(.bashrc)
>or put it the end of your .profile in $HOME

>xterm*VT100*translations: #override\
>    <Key>Delete:   string(0x04)\n\
>    <Key>Home:     string(0x1b) string("[1~")\n\
>    <Key>End:      string(ox1b) string("[4~")

>Put the following lines in your xinitrc file.
>make sure you put these lines before you call up your windows manager.

>xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
>xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"

Didn't work for me.  I've tried pretty much every recommendation in this group
and nothing really works.  I have to choose between having a Backspace in emacs
(under x-term) or in Netscape.

Tough choice,

DT

: Netscape problem - Backspace key again

Post by Mike Peterso » Tue, 19 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Didn't work for me.  I've tried pretty much every recommendation in this group
>and nothing really works.  I have to choose between having a Backspace in emacs
>(under x-term) or in Netscape.

Sorry, but I came to this thread late.  Did you try using the xkeycaps program?
That worked great for me.

Cheers,

/mtp
--
#      +--------------------------------------------------------------+
#      | Michael T. Peterson       | She got her good looks from her  |

1. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

<if this is a repeat I apologize, for some reason the campus news server is
acting up and none of my posts went through...>

whenever I hit the backspace key in Netscape 405 it deleted the
character to the right of the cursor, basically acting like the delete
key.  This only seems to occur in Netscape.  If you have any ideas on
how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.  thanks ahead of time.

//Pascal

ps: running RedHat 5.0

2. Pictures in order?

3. Netscape 2.0 - Keysyms problem (backspace and delete key problems)

4. VT, screensaver (blank) and switching through consoles

5. Redhat/Netscape Backspace Key Problem

6. want to get familiar with Unix - suggestions?

7. HELP: join lines with sed .....

8. backspace keys again

9. Netscape and backspace (again...)

10. Netscape backspace again