HELP !!! with SCSI cd-rom when lilo boot

HELP !!! with SCSI cd-rom when lilo boot

Post by Gonzo Zabijak » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi to all.

I have a problem with my SCSI CD-ROM and CD-R.
Ok the problem is that when i install linux from the cd-rom it crush
sometime on the installation, anyway after few attempts i did install
linux, but then the real problem happens when the LILU boot up it is
detecting my SCSI controller card which is ADAPTEC AIC-7850 PCI, so
after he detect the controller card it is looking for my cd-rom's. So
far so good it is displaying the the cd-r's and then it is crushing no
message error nothing the computer is restarting !!!! ( sometime i get
???????? all over the screen and then restarts ) ??

Some info on my cd-rom:
Sony CD-ROM CDU625
MATSHITA CD-R CW-7502

My connection to the cd-rom's and the jumpers at the back are:
The fires devise on the SCSI cable is my CD-ROM ( test mode OFF,
prevent/allow ON, term OFF, ID select is set to ID5, parity ON )
The second devise on my SCSI cable is my CD-R ( term power ON,
terminator ON, parity ON, ID selector is set to ID6 )

Ps: The strange think is that i was installing about 2 months ago the
same linux on the same computer and i didn't have all these problems !!!

The only hardware i added was a voodoo2, so i did plugt off my voodoo2
and it still was not working.

THANKS to you all for you priceless TIME.

With Regards
Gonzo

HELP !!! with SCSI cd-rom when lilo boot

Post by Stefaan A Eecke » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi to all.

> I have a problem with my SCSI CD-ROM and CD-R.
> Ok the problem is that when i install linux from the cd-rom it crush
> sometime on the installation, anyway after few attempts i did install
> linux, but then the real problem happens when the LILU boot up it is
> detecting my SCSI controller card which is ADAPTEC AIC-7850 PCI, so
> after he detect the controller card it is looking for my cd-rom's. So
> far so good it is displaying the the cd-r's and then it is crushing no
> message error nothing the computer is restarting !!!! ( sometime i get
> ???????? all over the screen and then restarts ) ??

LILO doesn't recognize cards or devices - that is handled by the
various BIOSes. If your computer crashes before there's *any*
output (no 'L', no 'LI'), then I guess that the problem with
the hardware (or BIOS) rather than with LILO.

Maybe you could give some more details about your system (ie is
the boot disk SCSI or IDE, can you boot from a floppy, can you
boot MS-DOS, what *exactly* do you see on the display, etc).

--
Stefaan
--

PGP key available from PGP key servers (http://www.pgp.net/pgpnet/)
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add,

1. HELP !!! with SCSI cd-rom when LILO boot

[...]

2. Iwill motherboards

3. Upgrading to SCSI CD-ROM from IDE CD-ROM

4. version.h missing/kernel update

5. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

6. SAMBA mit vielen FILES

7. Red Hat lilo problem with ATAPI CD-ROM and SCSI disk

8. Anyone have specs on NEC 4D?

9. Booting from CD-ROM with lilo.

10. Problems with booting lilo with PCI CD-rom controller

11. LILO: Booting from CD-ROM (again)

12. CD-ROM boot through LILO?

13. Linux and ATAPI CD-ROM recognised from boot disk, not from LILO