kdm will not start

Post by Andy Hepbur » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

If you are using the XFree86 S3 server (i.e. your video card uses the S3
chipset), then the chances are you are using an older version of the
KDE-1.1 RPMs.

If you upgrade to:
kdebase-1.1-6rh5x.i386.rpm
kdelibs-1.1-6rh5x.i386.rpm
kdesupport-1.1-5rh5x.i386.rpm

(or presumably the equivalent .tgz distribution) it should solve it (it
did for me.)

BIG thankyou to Alexander Filep (see his note below) for solving this
one!

Andy.

> I am running Red Hat 5.2 with KDE 1.1 installed.  The system boots into
> X mode with kdm as the login gui.  kdm comes up fine when the system
> boots.  However, when I log out, kdm does not come up, the screen blanks
> out and the system freezes.  None of the keys work.  My only option is
> to crash the system.  I see nothing in /var/log/messages that indicates
> a problem of any kind.

> My inittab files reads as follows:

> x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/env KDEDIR=/opt/kde /opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon

> I was operating in this manner with KDE 1.0 with no problems.  Does
> anybody know what is going wrong?

> Thank you,

> Josef Sikora

> > I've got the same problem.  It seems to be kdm that's causing the
> > problem - when I use xdm in runlevel 5 I can log in and out of KDE no
> > problem.
> > I'm using RedHat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36 and KDE 1.1.

> > I had no problems with KDE 1.0 either...

> > Andy Hepburn.

> > > I am having the exact same trouble.  Running the "out of the box"
> > > version of RedHat 5.2 with KDE 1.1.  I don't have any trouble until I
> > > modify /etc/initab from runlevel 3 to 5.  Then the system hangs up big
> > > time when the logout screen appears.  The only thing I can do is hit the
> > > reset switch. I have been searching the news groups since February
> > > looking for an answer to this  problem.

> > > Rick Lucent

> You are probably using the S3 X server, aren't you? This problem was resolved in
> a recent update to the 1.1 RPMs. Download and install the latest and you'll be
> ok. It works fine for me now.

> Alexander

1. GL programs do not start on local X when started from xdm/kdm

Hi
Im using XFree4 with the NVidia Driver 0.93 (GeForce) and as long as I run X
through "startx" everything is fine and working. But Im not the only one using
this machine and therefore I usually login locally via kdm. Now the problem:
I really like xmms and some GL programs and I just cant get them running on a
X server that is started through xdm/kdm. Did I miss something in the config
files - or is this impossible at all?

Thanx for you help in advance
Frank

2. Speed test

3. Solutions: KDE not starting KDM loop PATH not SET

4. CodeWarrior Linux and ld error messages

5. kdm not starting kde kde2 fwm .....

6. RedHat Installation FTP (LAN)?

7. kdm will not start

8. Newbie Questions about video card and downloads...

9. starting kdm not as root

10. Starting KDM

11. kdm doesn't start wm

12. KDM can't start xsm

13. kdm and where to start X on terminal