Want your LINUX Hardware experiences for web-page!!!

Want your LINUX Hardware experiences for web-page!!!

Post by Sean » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I figure since I got 10 Megs unused space free with my ISP I might as
well put a few Linux pages up over the next few weeks.

I am going to start with a page(s) dedicated to some of the NEWER
hardware that has been found to run well under Linux and XFree. I would
prefer to stick with newer hardware that is still readily available for
sale because I want this page to act as an aid to people buying new
hardware. Also, I would like to post letters from people with their good
and bad experiences on a particular piece of hardware. I will reply and
ask permission before publishing any letters, however I may use the
letters for doing statistics  (which hardware I get the most
favorable/disfavorable letters for) etc..

So please let me know if you've had good or bad experiences with any
particular video card, CDROM, SCSI adapter, removable media such as Jaz,
Zip, LS-120, Syquest etc.., network cards, sound cards, and everything
else.

Here is my examples:
1) I have a *drive 12x CDROM, It cost me $80 in April 1997, I have
never had a problem with it being properly recognized or functioning
under RedHat, Caldera, or Debian Linux with no special or difficult
set-up. Win95 requires manufacturer software drivers to even see the
drive, Linux sees it as HDB without any specific drivers. The drive has
so far had no problems and seems to work quite well and be quite solid
so far.

2) I have a Trident 9680 PCI video card with 2Megs of DRAM, manufactured
by Jaton. The card cost me $35 in June 1997.  It seems to be quite
adequate under Linux running XFree 3.3.1, with a max 16bit color output
at 800x600 resolution at 72Hz refresh-rate. It will do a max resolution
of 1152x864. It must run XFree 3.3.1 to get that resolution color
scheme. It is simple to setup via XF86Setup using the SVGA server and
seems to run fine at my preferred 800x600 resolution with no ghosts or
abnormalities. If you want to run 16bit color any higher than 800x600,
you will need a different card.

It is really important to me to try to convey "how difficult" the device
was to get set-up! In other words, even if you have nothing but good
things to say about a piece of hardware once it was all set-up, please
let me know how difficult and involved the process of getting it working
correctly was. Thanks

[...]

1. Linux hardware compatibility web page?

There used to be a Linux hardware compatibility web page a while back (like
about 2 years or so) but I don't know if it went belly up or what.  I cannot
find my URL for it or any references in FAQs.  I do know that due to the
large support Linux has, some stuff was being deleted or not included.

If there is no such page, I'd like to try to start one.  I'd focus more on
the unusual devices and for common things like video cards and disk drives,
just list what is know to not work.

--
Phil Howard KA9WGN   +-------------------------------------------------------+
Linux Consultant     |  Linux installation, configuration, administration,   |

2. tty-problem

3. Utility to convert PowerPoint "web pages" into real web pages?

4. Setting up PPP

5. WANTED: experienced web developers

6. 3.x kern.flp for ThinkPAD 750C

7. Can't access Linux web server web pages from LAN client

8. NIS in Linux

9. Great hardware web page.

10. Lowest Profile Web Server Hardware configurations - Suggestions Wanted

11. UNIX HARDWARE: New Web Page

12. WANTED: Web page accounting software?

13. Wanted web page and newsgroup about Sun Certified System Administrator Exam.