X11R6 and fonts

Post by Hoang Ng » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello all,

I am starting to work on a project that requires the understanding
of the X server and how it uses the fonts in the system. How one
goes about creating fonts and tell X to use it, etc...

Thanks,
hoang

X11R6 and fonts

Post by Sven Dumme » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I am starting to work on a project that requires the understanding
> of the X server and how it uses the fonts in the system. How one
> goes about creating fonts and tell X to use it, etc...

What exactly do you want to do? Do you need information on how to
install fonts in X or on the internal treatment of fonts?
Do you really want to *create* fonts?

If you want to install fonts in X: what kind of fonts? - X can use
nearly any PostScript font and certain bitmap fonts.

It's easy to install e.g. Type-1 fonts in X, but - unlike with
windows or mac - this does not mean, that every application will
then automatically be ready to use these fonts. What application are
you planning to use for displaying and printing the fonts?

Will you be using PostScript- or non-PostScript printers to print
the fonts? - If you're using non-PS printers, you'll need a printer
filter program (e.g. ghostscript) to print them, and that filter
needs to have access to the font files...

(But it works!)

Maybe I can help you if you send me more details.

--

Sven Dummer

  Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Goettingen
  Arbeitsstelle Deutsches Woerterbuch
  Herzberger Landstr. 2, D-37085 Goettingen, Germany