Expert Type 1 fonts crash X Windows?

Post by Robert S. Mai » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

My X server (XFree86 3.1.2, under Linux) unfortunately crashes when
I attempt to display any expert Type 1 font.  Apparently rasterizing any font
that uses the expert encoding triggers a bug in the server.  I have no
difficulty installing and using any other sort of Type 1 font.

This is not good!  Has anyone else seen this, or know of a workaround?
Is the problem restricted to XFree86?

In case you're wondering, I've installed the expert fonts correctly.  The
following are two sample entries from my fonts.scale file:

    AGaramondExp-Regular.pfb -adobe-garamond expert-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-fontspecific
    BodoniBE-RegularExp.pfb -berthold-bodoni expert-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-fontspecific

Doing an `xlsfont' on Adobe Garamond Expert or Berthold Bodoni Expert is
guaranteed to trigger a crash.  It's the same with several other expert
fonts I've tried.

Comments or advice, anyone?

--Robert

--

Dept. of Math.    |
Univ. of Arizona  |

1. adding true type fonts to linux crashes X when running Java

Hi,

        We recently bought a machine from VALinux running RedHat 6.2.3.
I use my workstation to run NetBeans (netbeans.org).

A colleague here mocked my mozilla rendering of Yahoo's front page, which I
ascribed to not having TrueType fonts installed. So I installed the TrueType
fonts I found on Windows2000 following general rules explained
<http://customer.support.redhat.com/rhoaprod/plsql/xxrh_know_pkg.srch2...
38> on Red Hat's support site. The effect was as expected. The rendering of
various internet sites now matched the experience of a windoze user.

Sadly a little later I found that my X server would crash when:
        - I opened the Tasks>Tools>Java Console of Mozilla and entered a command
to list the threads available. (This I tried once)
        - I opened a netbeans [also shipped under the name Forte for Java]
explorer window, clicked on a file system's property menu (right click),
and chose to change the file system's root Directory.

        The fact the I clicked on a file system property led me astray as I
considered my network mounts as the possible culprits. Having tried that
route in vain,  I finally removed the TrueType fonts I had installed and
appropriately reconfigured X to what it had been initially. X
immediately stopped crashing.

        Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this. Should I upgrade to
Xfree86 version 4.0?

        Henry

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. NIC with IP on a IPless bridge?

3. Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

4. XEMACS

5. true type fonts in x-windows apps

6. 2.2 kernels and K6-2 with CXT core ?!

7. E.g. I have a directory called "warez" ; windows true-type fonts

8. Check if file or directory exists in C

9. Can I copy and use Type 1 fonts from a Windows machine?

10. True Type Fonts to PostScript Type 1

11. How can I use Windows True Type Fonts?

12. True Type Font Setup: Fonts Look Bold on Edges

13. converting Adobe Type Basic font names to X11 font names