DOSEMU graphics in X-Windows?

Post by J Gurgan » Wed, 19 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Is it possible to display VGA (or greater?) level DOS graphics in an
X-Window?  If not, is it planned?  I've seen lots of references to how
good DOSEMU is with graphics on the console, but can it be done in an
X-Window?

Thanks for any info!

--
James Gurganus

Post by Rickdm » Thu, 20 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Is it possible to display VGA (or greater?) level DOS graphics in an
>X-Window?  If not, is it planned?  I've seen lots of references to how
>good DOSEMU is with graphics on the console, but can it be done in an
>X-Window?

Yes, dosemu supports a "Dos Box".
When you compile dosemu you will have a file "xdos" that is a symbolic
link to "dos".

If you can run dosemu in graphics mode from your console, the xdos box
will run fine.

It is well worth the effort to compile and run.

BTW, the MKS Toolkit (unix shell for DOS{real dos}) runs perfectly under
dosemu.
You might even forget that your dos box is DOS!

Rick
=======================================
Rick Mantooth

Dictionary: Murpys Law- 1.) see Mantooth
=======================================

Post by Rob Colem » Thu, 20 Apr 1995 04:00:00

 ->Is it possible to display VGA (or greater?) level DOS graphics in an
 ->X-Window?  If not, is it planned?  I've seen lots of references to how
 ->good DOSEMU is with graphics on the console, but can it be done in an
 ->X-Window?

 -Yes, dosemu supports a "Dos Box".
 -When you compile dosemu you will have a file "xdos" that is a symbolic
 -link to "dos".

 -If you can run dosemu in graphics mode from your console, the xdos box
 -will run fine.

 -It is well worth the effort to compile and run.

 -BTW, the MKS Toolkit (unix shell for DOS{real dos}) runs perfectly under
 -dosemu.
 -You might even forget that your dos box is DOS!

I think that the question was 'Will xdos display VGA graphics?'.  If so,
then the answer is no, and I don't know if it is planned.  It seems like
it was a goal, but I haven't heard of any movement toward the goal.  If
will display ansi character graphics if you have ansi-xterm, but as far
as running things like Doom in an xdos session, the answer is no, it
won't work.
--
Rob Coleman                                   Years go by, will I still be
Computer Science / Georgia Tech               waiting for somebody else to

http://ec50.residence.gatech.edu/                     -Tori Amos/SATY

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. New Media Bus Toaster and Linux

3. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

4. Breaking News - natively compiled Eclipse (Re: Eclipse IDE with GCC: is anyone using it?)

5. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

6. pppoe carrier

7. dosemu 0.63.x.y and X-windows

8. Libraries not working.

9. DOSEMU 0.63.1.55 in X-windows

10. DOSEMU has no keyboard in X-windows

11. Hercules graphics card and X-Windows

12. How to create/print graphics w/out X-Windows

13. Graphics Modes with X-Windows