Rendition Verite - X server fails

Post by Denis » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:44:36

Hi

I try to change my very old Matrox Mystique PCI 2Mo to a less old AGP
card. I don't know the manufacturer but the chip is Rendition Verite
V2200. My machine is a MDK9.1.

XFdrake recognizes it, proposes the good driver, but impossible to lanch
X (XFree 4.3.0)

/var/log/XFree86.0.log talks about PCI, not AGP, and ends with:

(==) RENDITION(0): Default visual is PseudoColor
(==) RENDITION(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
Symbol xf86SetDDCproperties from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/rendition_drv.o is unresolved!

    *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
    *** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 4.  Server aborting

What's the problem??
Somebody could help??

THANX

--
DenisG

!-------------------------------!
!  Utilisateur Linux n.317018   !
!-------------------------------!
! visitez www.fermedelangle.com !
!-------------------------------!

Post by lobotom » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:34:49

> Hi

> I try to change my very old Matrox Mystique PCI 2Mo to a less old AGP
> card. I don't know the manufacturer but the chip is Rendition Verite
> V2200. My machine is a MDK9.1.

Unless you need a mode only supported by the Rendition card (which I
assume has more memory) the Mystique is actually a better bet for use
under Linux.  Neither card has any 3D support, but the Matrox is supported
by a very old, stable, and full-featured driver.  Even under 3.3.6 the
Rendition driver was not without problems, and the 4.x driver has yet to
reach the level of functionality of 3.3.6 (Acceleration is not supported,
for instance).

Quote:> XFdrake recognizes it, proposes the good driver, but impossible to lanch
> X (XFree 4.3.0)

> /var/log/XFree86.0.log talks about PCI, not AGP, and ends with:

> (==) RENDITION(0): Default visual is PseudoColor (==) RENDITION(0):
> Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) Symbol xf86SetDDCproperties from
> module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/rendition_drv.o is unresolved!

>     *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not *** be
>     the reason for the server aborting.

> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 4.  Server aborting

Did you see any other errors than this in the log?  If that is all, you
might be able to get it to start if you insert a line with Option "NoDDC"
in the Device section of XF86Config-4, disabling the DDC (automatic
monitor probing), which according to the documentation for the driver is
not really supported anyway.

Some more info on the Rendition xf86 driver here:
http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/rendition.html

--
Not to have been a dupe, that will have been my best possesion, my best
deed, to have been a dupe, wishing I wasn't, thinking I wasn't, knowing

Rendition Verite - X server fails

Post by Denis » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:52:01

lobotomy a crit:

Quote:

> Unless you need a mode only supported by the Rendition card (which I
> assume has more memory) the Mystique is actually a better bet for use
> under Linux.  Neither card has any 3D support, but the Matrox is supported
> by a very old, stable, and full-featured driver.  Even under 3.3.6 the
> Rendition driver was not without problems, and the 4.x driver has yet to
> reach the level of functionality of 3.3.6 (Acceleration is not supported,
> for instance).

> Did you see any other errors than this in the log?  If that is all, you
> might be able to get it to start if you insert a line with Option "NoDDC"
> in the Device section of XF86Config-4, disabling the DDC (automatic
> monitor probing), which according to the documentation for the driver is
> not really supported anyway.

> Some more info on the Rendition xf86 driver here:
> http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/rendition.html

Thank you very much for your help.

Yes, I was trying this rendition card to add memory to my machine, but
it seems to have only 4MB.

I added Option "NoDDC" to XF86Config-4, but It doesn't work. I still get
the same message

Symbol xf86SetDDCproperties from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/rendition_drv.o is unresolved!

but no other error message in the log. And it still talks about PCI, not
AGP...

Anyway, I'll try to find an other card with more memory, and a chip
better supported.

Thanks again

--
DenisG