Xterm mouse problem

Post by M Huffm » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Using XFree86 3.2 on Red Hat 4.1, I have a problem with the middle mouse
button.  It works on the desktop but when I try Control-middle in an xterm
window the resultant menu disappears as soon as I move the mouse.  It
reappears very briefly when I release the button.

If this is relevant I get the following error message every time I startx:

Warning: /dev/gpmdata unable to get status of mouse fd: Invalid argument

I am using gpm -R and /dev/gpmdata in XF86Config

Pasting with the middle button works fine.  Could this be a problem with
xterm rather than the mouse?

Thanks in advance

Adam Huffman

Xterm mouse problem

:
: If this is relevant I get the following error message every time I startx:
:
: Warning: /dev/gpmdata unable to get status of mouse fd: Invalid argument
:
: I am using gpm -R and /dev/gpmdata in XF86Config
:
: Pasting with the middle button works fine.  Could this be a problem with
: xterm rather than the mouse?

Nope, it's a mouse problem.  Have you tried getting the mouse directly in
X, ie from /dev/mouse rather than /dev/gpmdata?

Ref:  http://kipper.york.ac.uk/mouse.html

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

1. Mouse paste in XTerm (pty problem)

Hello!

If you select a larger portion of text and paste it into an xterm
it sometimes doesn't paste the complete selection. The xterm manual
pages says in the BUGS section:

BUGS
     Large pastes do not work on some systems.  This is not a bug
     in xterm; it is a bug in the pseudo terminal driver of those
     systems.  xterm feeds large pastes to the pty only  as  fast
     as  the  pty  will  accept data, but some pty drivers do not
     return enough information to know  if  the  write  has  suc-
     ceeded.

I have this problem with Solaris 2.4. Is this a known problem or
bug? Is a patch available? I couldn't find anything in the SunSolve
database...

         GMD-SET
   Schloss Birlinghoven                   phone:    (+49) 2241 14 2039
53754 St. Augustin, Germany               fax:      (+49) 2241 14 2342

2. SRGP

3. xterm, vi, and mouse problem

4. Failed init of my AHA1520 SCSI card

5. xterm and mouse - problem?

6. HP Deskjet 600c print fine color and graytone images

7. Mouse problem with vi in an xterm.

8. TCPA FOR LINUX

9. problem with mouse copy-pasting in xterm windows

10. Problem with the mouse buttons in xterm

11. Upgraded to XFree86 4.0.1, xterm locks up mouse and kb

12. XFree - Xterm - mouse -basic

13. HOWTO: Mouse editing with readline in xterm