XDM setup

Post by Charles Kendrick » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello All,

  I have a couple of questions regarding starting X using xdm.  First of
all after adding a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to start xdm on boot-up,
xdm starts fine but when I log in the X session is immediately terminated
and I am returned to the xdm login prompt.  The last line in my
.xsessions file calls the mwm window manager and is the only command in
the file that is not run in the background.  When I start X with the
startx command the system works fine.
  The other question I have is regarding the automatic placement of
iconified windows.  What is the syntax for the xsessions or xinit files
to specify where on the screen the applications that I start as icons are
to be placed.
  Please email responses.  Thanks in advance.
--

Charles Kendricks
IS Systems Administrator

XDM setup

Post by Luc Lalond » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> Hello All,

>   I have a couple of questions regarding starting X using xdm.  First of
> all after adding a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to start xdm on boot-up,
> xdm starts fine but when I log in the X session is immediately terminated
> and I am returned to the xdm login prompt.  The last line in my
> .xsessions file calls the mwm window manager and is the only command in
> the file that is not run in the background.  When I start X with the
> startx command the system works fine.
>   The other question I have is regarding the automatic placement of
> iconified windows.  What is the syntax for the xsessions or xinit files
> to specify where on the screen the applications that I start as icons are
> to be placed.
>   Please email responses.  Thanks in advance.
> --

> Charles Kendricks
> IS Systems Administrator
> International Billing Services
> (916) 939-5663

Hello Charles,

I suspect that you have the permissions wrong on your .xsessions file.
You have to make it executable by the user by typing:

chmod u+x .xsession

The same goes for your .Xresources, .mwmrc, etc.
Hope this helps you out.  Give me some news on how it turned out.

Regards, Luc.

XDM setup

Post by Ray Curt » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Try starting Xdm from your /etc/inittab which is where it should
be started. If it is not already there add a line :

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon

Make sure this runlevel i.e. 5 is same as the runlevel at the top
of the inittab file, such as:

id:5:initdefault:

: Hello All,

:   I have a couple of questions regarding starting X using xdm.  First of
: all after adding a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to start xdm on boot-up,
: xdm starts fine but when I log in the X session is immediately terminated
: and I am returned to the xdm login prompt.  The last line in my
: .xsessions file calls the mwm window manager and is the only command in
: the file that is not run in the background.  When I start X with the
: startx command the system works fine.
:   The other question I have is regarding the automatic placement of
: iconified windows.  What is the syntax for the xsessions or xinit files
: to specify where on the screen the applications that I start as icons are
: to be placed.
:   Please email responses.  Thanks in advance.
: --

: Charles Kendricks
: IS Systems Administrator
: International Billing Services
: (916) 939-5663

       _/_/_/_/       _/      _/      _/  Ray Curtis
      _/     _/     _/ _/      _/   _/    Frederick, Maryland

    _/   _/     _/       _/     _/
   _/     _/   _/         _/    _/        'Linux Host Ray'

Disclaimer: None

1. xdm-setup question

Hello out there!

    A problem of a novice Linux user:

       I'm unable to have xdm control  the login procedure. Xdm starts itself
       and starts the X server right, the xlogin window appears, but the user
       password verification allways fails.

       Deleting the password entries in /etc/passwd makes login enable, but I
       don't think that's the right way to establish this feature.

       Running 'xdm -debug 1' enforces this fact, cause it says 'verification
       password  failed' (or something   like that, don't remember the  exact
       message). Telling me  the length of the typed  password --  I think it
       reads the correct one from the login window.

    Obviously xdm crypt's the password in another way the passwd program does.

    So:

    What can I do?  Do I have to recompile xdm?

    I  got XFree86-3.1.2  from  a precompiled installation  and  there  is no
    source code of the  XFree86 clients. Do I  have to recompile the original
    MIT distribution? (Is  this even possible on  linux  systems?)

    Are there  places in the net  where I can  get binary  xdm versions using
    different password coding algorithms?

    Many thanks in advance -- Peter
Peter Weiss, Sonnenstra?e 17, D-26123 Oldenburg, Tel:  0441/ 81058
http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de:/~weissp
-- Slow has got 4 letters so has calm; speed has got 5 letters so has death --

2. ip.tun0:1 added but from where?

3. XDM setup with chooser

4. Is there anywhere I can get a free shell account?

5. xdm setup

6. That LCK.. thing

7. ATI pro turbo PC2TV drivers?

8. xdm setup problem

9. SunOS 4.1.4 XDM Setup???

10. xdm setup

11. xdm - setup procedure not implemented ?

12. XDM setup