A resolution besides 640x480

Post by brent verne » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I recently installed Xfree86 on my Redhat 5.1 box.
> I have a Trident 97503d video card.  and a CTX VL700 monitor (17inch)

> I cannot seem to get a resolution besides 640x480.  I never played with
> Xfree86 before so any help would be nice.  here is a copy of my startup
> file..

> -Matt

run 'Xconfigurator' -- when prompted, choose the default resolution that
you want. when you startx next, it will be in the chosen resolution.

to change resolutions while in X, press and hold down ctrl+alt, then
press the '+' key to switch between the _available_ resoltion modes.

--brent

DJLATM, read it -- five or six times.

A resolution besides 640x480

Post by Kurt Wa » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

%
%
% >
% > run 'Xconfigurator' -- when prompted, choose the default resolution that
% > you want. when you startx next, it will be in the chosen resolution.
% >
% > to change resolutions while in X, press and hold down ctrl+alt, then
% > press the '+' key to switch between the _available_ resoltion modes.
%
%
% I have tried this.  The monitor blanks out in the other resolutions.  This is
% the part I do not understand.

I had this problem, too, in the SVGA server.  I added
  Option "xaa_no_color_exp"
to my config file (in the Device Section) and it quit happening.  Your
monitor may turn itself off if it is being "overclocked" by the card,
so it may be doing you a favor. :-)

Is this card by chance an AGP card?  It seems that the AGP code in
XFree86 is not quite there yet.

[snip]

Kurt

1. X and resolution higher than 640x480 ??????

yes, the problem isnt my being unable to start X in 800x600.. the
displayer turns on, and gives me that mess I described (I edited the
XF86Config file in the way you described.. The problem is that It
doesnt help anything )

Now I think I got it semi-working (with a bunch of hacks and a
terribly low dotclock) but the cursor is off, and its just a big mess
(I know, I know.. i RTFM'd.. i'll do "Options "sw_cursor"" next)

But.. isnt there a simpler way that DOESNT make me freak out about
blowing the LCD on my laptop?

refreshment: C&T 65545 chip w/1024K, and (allegedly) up to 1074x768
supported.

Thanks for your help again.

Can.

2. Where to find latest version of Shadow Password?

3. Resolution Stuck at 640x480

4. PDF editor for linux?

5. Best resolution with i810 video on Redhat 6.2 is 640x480

6. Mounting USB drive in FC3

7. Xconfig problem on higher resolution than 640x480

8. IOMEGA PC2 Driver Available

9. Can't get 640x480 resolution with Linux at work.

10. Max resolution I can get in X-Windows is 640x480

11. How can I use X with 640x480 resolution instead of 800x600?

12. XF86free 3.2 - S3 Virge - Problem for resolutions higher than 640x480

13. Howto Change Resolution in Linux e.g. fr 640X480 to 800X600 etc...