Basic question

Post by Crai » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I'm using fvwm95.  I have been using ClickToFocus and was playing around
with MouseFocus and noticed that when I move the mouse over a window in
the background, the focus follows but the window does not move into the
foreground.  I have to click on the window to get it to the foreground.
Shouldn't a window move to the foreground when it gets focus?  If thats
the case, any ideas about why its not doing that?

Thanks in advance

Basic question

Post by Dirk Geschk » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I'm using fvwm95.  I have been using ClickToFocus and was playing around
> with MouseFocus and noticed that when I move the mouse over a window in
> the background, the focus follows but the window does not move into the
> foreground.  I have to click on the window to get it to the foreground.
> Shouldn't a window move to the foreground when it gets focus?  If thats
> the case, any ideas about why its not doing that?

To focus means to make the window to the atual one which is used. This does not
mean that this window must get in foreground automatically. To achieve such a
behaviour there is a program called FvwmAuto. The syntax is

FvwmAuto time

Where time is time in miliseconds after which the window will be moved to
foreground. This value should not be to low so that not every window comes
to foreground if you are moving with the mousepointer across the screen,

Dirk.

Basic question

Post by Roger D. Towe » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm using fvwm95.  I have been using ClickToFocus and was playing around
>with MouseFocus and noticed that when I move the mouse over a window in
>the background, the focus follows but the window does not move into the
>foreground.  I have to click on the window to get it to the foreground.
>Shouldn't a window move to the foreground when it gets focus?  If thats
>the case, any ideas about why its not doing that?

See the man page for fvwm95-2. I think you have to load the AutoRaise
module in your .fvwm2rc95 file. Probably both in the InitFunction and the
RestartFunction.

Hope this helps
...Roger
--

      Roger Towers           | Ignorance can be enlightened
                             | But Prejudice will destroy you

Basic question

Post by David Z. Ma » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

C> I'm using fvwm95.  I have been using ClickToFocus and was playing around
C> with MouseFocus and noticed that when I move the mouse over a window in
C> the background, the focus follows but the window does not move into the
C> foreground.  I have to click on the window to get it to the foreground.
C> Shouldn't a window move to the foreground when it gets focus?

Not necessarily.  Under fvwm2 (from which fvwm95 is derived) this is
explicitly not the case; you need to use the FvwmAuto module to do
this for you.  Try putting "Module FvwmAuto 0 Raise" in your
.fvwm95-2rc (or whatever it's called) to get windows to automatically
raise when they're entered (when they gain keyboard focus).

--
 _____________________________
/                             \  "...electronic spam is about as appealing
|          David Maze         |   as the luncheon meat of the same name..."

| http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/ |  -- _The San Jose Mercury News_,
\_____________________________/                              August 8, 1997

1. Newbie basic questions... many questions

Here is a challenge:

I need to start using Linux for several reasons (too many to enumerate...).
I have never used Linux or Unix for that matter. Even the "language" used by
everyone describing steps or recommendations is foreign to me. I have
extensive knowledge of (cough, cough)  Windows 9X and NT but no Unix
experience of any kind.

So here are some of my questions:

1- Is there a good FAQ list that I could start with instead of pestering
everyone with my questions?

2- At the same time that I start with the FAQ, I would like to take a crack
at installing Linux. I've done some research and apparently all my hardware
is compatible (at least with RedHat). What is the best use of my dollars?
RedHat? Slackware? Or are there any others that I may want to look at? At
this stage I don't need the most powerful or the fastest implementation just
the easiest to install. Is there a site that compares the different
implementations?

3- Are there specialized FAQs for some of the more "arcane" subjects: for
example network or performance issues?

At this time I would rather be pointed to where these issues are addressed
instead of being told what to do ( not that I wouldn't welcome the answers
:-)

Thank You

ps: if I committed a "faux pass" by asking these questions in the wrong
newsgroup, please just point me to the correct one. Thanks

2. CGI SCRIPTS.

3. Basic Question, please advise

4. SLS boot disks A1 problems NMI recieved.?

5. security for many users... (basic question)

6. silence some superfluous boot messages

7. Linux Networking Very Basic Question

8. Status of modem ?

9. Basic Question: How to make a boot disk?

10. Linux newbie w/basic questions

11. Setting up a Linux Server - Basic Question

12. basic question

13. Very basic questions on setting up sendmail