vrweb VRML viewer

Post by Graham Tod » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Has NE1 used VRWEB vrml viewer successfully - it seems to have
compiled here and I have Mesa libs installed.  But the source is in a
tangled spaghetti mess of dirs and uses strange perl based compilation
scripts.  It's really tangled ... I'm not sure I've even found the
executable that was compiled and there.

My only Q: Has anyone got it to work? (this way I'll keep trying)

OK one more - do you remember any particular "gotchas"?

--
Graham Todd
York University, Toronto

vrweb VRML viewer

Post by Tim » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I got it to work but I don't use it any more.  I use VRWave which is done
in java and supports vrml 2.0 and 16-bit depth.  If you are trying to use
vrweb in 16-bit depth you'll be unsuccesfull.  What error are you getting
when you run what you think is the binary.

Tim

Quote:

> Has NE1 used VRWEB vrml viewer successfully - it seems to have
> compiled here and I have Mesa libs installed.  But the source is in a
> tangled spaghetti mess of dirs and uses strange perl based compilation
> scripts.  It's really tangled ... I'm not sure I've even found the
> executable that was compiled and there.

> My only Q: Has anyone got it to work? (this way I'll keep trying)

> OK one more - do you remember any particular "gotchas"?

> --
> Graham Todd
> York University, Toronto
> http://www.yorku.ca/academics/gtodd

1. VRweb VRML Browser is now free software

Dear GNU community,

Following a request from Richard Stallman, we have made VRweb, our
browser for 3D models on the Web specified in the Virtual Reality
Modeling Language (VRML), available under the GNU General Public
Licence. VRweb works in conjunction with Web browsers such as Netscape
or Mosaic on Unix and Windows platforms.

VRweb is a joint project of IICM, home of Hyper-G, NCSA, home of
Mosaic, and the University of Minnesota, home of Gopher. The software
is freely available in binary and source: VRweb 1.2 for Unix has just
been released, VRweb 1.2 for Windows will follow in due course [the
currently available Windows version is VRweb 1.1 beta 5 under our
original licence terms].

You can download VRweb from:

  ftp://iicm.tu-graz.ac.at/pub/Hyper-G/VRweb/UNIX

and numerous mirror sites. Further information on VRweb can be found
at:

  http://hyperg.iicm.tu-graz.ac.at/vrweb

VRML is a non-proprietary, platform-independent file format for 3D
graphics on the Internet. More information about VRML can be found at
the VRML Repository:

  http://www.sdsc.edu/vrml/

Best regards,

   Keith Andrews and Michael Pichler

Keith Andrews                   http://hyperg.iicm.tu-graz.ac.at/keith

Graz University of Technology                     tel +43-316-873-5610
Schieszstattgasse 4a                              fax +43-316-824394
A-8010 Graz
Austria                            "There are no kangaroos in Austria"

2. Log File of ALL keyboard input

3. VRML 2.0 - viewer for Solaris

4. adding to Tape archive ?

5. vrml viewer for linux and open inventor

6. outbound load balancing with 2 NIC

7. VRML Viewer for sparc Solaris 2.5.1 and OGL

8. Is it possible, two clients can talk to server simultaneously?

9. VRML Viewer ?

10. Need compressed tar file viewer, a la winzip viewer.

11. Help with vrweb??

12. "generic.h" (for VRweb)

13. VRweb running in stand-alone mode?