RH 7.2 and cvs using xinetd

Post by Thoma » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 23:01:04

I am new to CVS.  I setup a CVS Server using xinetd in RH 7.2.  However, I
restarted xinetd, but the port 2401 (for CVS pserver) is not listening at
all (with Connection Refused error).  I am more familiar using older version
that uses "inetd", instead of "xinetd" (now standard after RH 7.x).  This is
my procedure:

1. I add a file in /etc/xinetd.d called "cvspserver" with these setting: (as
root)

# default: on
service cvspserver
{
   disable = no
   socket_type = stream
   protocol = tcp
   user = root
   wait = no
   server = /user/bin/cvs
   server_args= -f --allow-root=/home/cvs/repository pserver
   log_on_success +=USERID
   log_on_failure += USERID

Quote:}

2. I then added in /etc/services the line as below:

cvspserver 2401/tcp     # CVS client/server operations
cvspserver 2401/udp     # CVS client/server operations

Then I restarted xinetd and it how stop and start OK, but 2401 port is not
listening.  (I make sure I have flush my firewall before this!).  Using
"ntsysv" I can see that "cvspserver" are setup to "on"; however, I simply
can not make it listening at port 2401.  (I checked using "netstat -tl").

Anyone has any idea why?  (I checked the google and couldn't find anything
related regarding this!  There are many dealing with Connection Refused
error, but not provided answer to my problem!)

Thomas

RH 7.2 and cvs using xinetd

Post by ne.. » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:42:42

> I am new to CVS.  I setup a CVS Server using xinetd in RH 7.2.  However, I
> restarted xinetd, but the port 2401 (for CVS pserver) is not listening at
> all (with Connection Refused error).  I am more familiar using older version
> that uses "inetd", instead of "xinetd" (now standard after RH 7.x).  This is
> my procedure:

> 1. I add a file in /etc/xinetd.d called "cvspserver" with these setting: (as
> root)

> # default: on
> service cvspserver
> {
>    disable = no
>    socket_type = stream
>    protocol = tcp
>    user = root
>    wait = no
>    server = /user/bin/cvs

               ^^^^ I hope this is a typo.

Quote:>    server_args= -f --allow-root=/home/cvs/repository pserver
>    log_on_success +=USERID
>    log_on_failure += USERID
> }

> 2. I then added in /etc/services the line as below:

> cvspserver 2401/tcp     # CVS client/server operations
> cvspserver 2401/udp     # CVS client/server operations

> Then I restarted xinetd and it how stop and start OK, but 2401 port is not
> listening.  (I make sure I have flush my firewall before this!).  Using
> "ntsysv" I can see that "cvspserver" are setup to "on"; however, I simply
> can not make it listening at port 2401.  (I checked using "netstat -tl").

Xinetd is what is listening. When a successful connection is
made, then cvs takes over. I would first make sure that the
server can run without xinetd and then connect to it. If this
works, then you can look into using xinetd.
[...]

Certified: 40% bastard, 22% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

RH 7.2 and cvs using xinetd

Post by zeljk » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 07:48:12

> I am new to CVS.  I setup a CVS Server using xinetd in RH 7.2.  However, I
> restarted xinetd, but the port 2401 (for CVS pserver) is not listening at
> all (with Connection Refused error).  I am more familiar using older
> version
> that uses "inetd", instead of "xinetd" (now standard after RH 7.x).  This
> is my procedure:

> 1. I add a file in /etc/xinetd.d called "cvspserver" with these setting:
> (as root)

> # default: on
> service cvspserver
> {
>    disable = no
>    socket_type = stream
>    protocol = tcp
>    user = root
>    wait = no
>    server = /user/bin/cvs
>    server_args= -f --allow-root=/home/cvs/repository pserver
>    log_on_success +=USERID
>    log_on_failure += USERID
> }

service cvspserver
{
        disable = no
        socket_type = stream
        protocol = tcp
        wait = no
        user = root
--->>   passenv = PATH
        server = /usr/bin/cvs
        server_args = -f --allow-root=/home/cvs/cvsroot pserver

Quote:}
> 2. I then added in /etc/services the line as below:

> cvspserver 2401/tcp     # CVS client/server operations
> cvspserver 2401/udp     # CVS client/server operations

> Then I restarted xinetd and it how stop and start OK, but 2401 port is not
> listening.  (I make sure I have flush my firewall before this!).  Using
> "ntsysv" I can see that "cvspserver" are setup to "on"; however, I simply
> can not make it listening at port 2401.  (I checked using "netstat -tl").

> Anyone has any idea why?  (I checked the google and couldn't find anything
> related regarding this!  There are many dealing with Connection Refused
> error, but not provided answer to my problem!)

did U start rpc portmapper ?
on RH type -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start

cheers

1. RH 7.2 Can't get cvspserver to run under xinetd.

I'm having trouple getting CVS pserver to work with xinetd. When I try
connect from a remote system, I get the following in /var/log/messages:

May  2 13:12:02 boss xinetd[565]: FAIL: cvspserver libwrap
from=192.168.2.3
May  2 13:12:02 boss xinetd[1070]: USERID: cvspserver OTHER :mike

The remote server fails as follows:

cvs [login aborted]: recv() from server boss: Connection reset by peer

The file /etc/xinetd.d/cvspserver is as follows:

service cvspserver
{
 socket_type  = stream
 protocol                = tcp
 wait   = no
 user   = root
 server   = /usr/bin/cvs
 server_args             = -f --allow-root=/usr/mike/CVS-Repository
pserver
 log_on_success  += USERID HOST
 log_on_failure   += ATTEMPT USERID HOST RECORD
 disable                 = no

It looks like xinetd is succeeding and spawing CVS but it's encountering

a problem with libwrap and exiting right away.

Does anyone have a clue?

--
Michael Maloney
Ilex Engineering, Inc.

Tel: 410.465.6948

2. icmp & udp

3. Problems booting ASPLinux (RH 7.2 compat) using DHCP

4. Trouble with X Windows, Mouse setup, and gcc with Linux-PMac

5. RH 7.2 - how to get webpages to be served properly, using Apache

6. Video driver support?

7. Using rules in Fetchmail/RH 7.2

8. portmapper and mountd of nfs

9. logging on to another server using RH 7.2

10. Can't install RH 7.2 using sbpcd CD ROM

11. help needed for migratring to RH 7.2 using cable modem

12. Need Help w/ W2K & RH 7.2 Dual boot using Grub

13. Can not copy + paste with mouse using RH 7.2 on terminal windows