Please Help with KDE crash only as root (KFM part of problem?)

Please Help with KDE crash only as root (KFM part of problem?)

Post by Geoffrey Kin » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
Please help with this problem which started yesterday.

Problem: When I log in as root, KDE starts up as usual, but:
1) does not load any desktop icons,
2) the "start" menu is visible, but can't start most apps from it,
however, can use a few items, such as
logout
3) when checking system status with TOP (started from a terminal
window), it shows KFM to be
continually using ~99% of CPU.  Likewise, using PS, it is continually
running.  I'm not sure if this means
anything, but also under PS - the WCHAN value is 0?
4) I can start most programs by starting them from a terminal
5) when clicking on an entry in the menu, Konsole for example, nothing
happens, except the button stays
depressed.
6) PLEASE NOTE THAT WHEN LOGGED IN AS A USER IT WORKS FINE

What I have tried:
Manually: kill (pid associated with KFM).  This releases the visually
depressed button, but has no other
noticeable affect.
Can't come up  with any changes I have made which would have created
this problem?

Please help.  I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Also, I would
be glad to provide any more info
if requested.

I thought I had graduated to above newbie level, but now i'm not so
sure.

Thanks, Geoff

ps.  What are the CORE files all over my hard drive.  Can they be
deleted?

1. (Help part 2 locked out of root) Please help

All the suggestions I got last time didnt work.

I booted to single user mode and typed

boot -s
then
chsh
and it says command not found.

this sucks.....

vipw doesnt work either.....

when I su to root I still get:

su: bash: No such file or directory

this all started when I did a

chsh bash

from root now Im locked out....

what do i do.

2. Review/edit outgoing mail queue

3. Konqueror kfm Crash in kde-3.0rc3

4. need help with kernel patching 2.2.16 -> 2.2.16-1

5. KDE File Manager(kfm) crash???

6. Error loging in

7. KDE,KFM crashed after upgraded to 1.1.1-15.i386.rpm

8. dbx questions.

9. No javascript in kfm with kde-1.1.2 (kfm-1.167.2.21)

10. KFM crash on KDE startup

11. HELP:Problems with KDE and kfm

12. HELP - KDE crashes as root but works for other users !