CDE Integration with other apps?

Post by Brian Kimbal » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello, I've been thinking about buying the CDE for my linux box for
quite some time now, but I need to know a few things before I shell out
big $$.

1) I also have Redhat Motif 2.0.  Will these co-exist peacefully?
Especially if I get the dev version of the CDE?

2) How do 'normal' motif apps handle the CDE?  I noticed that the CDE
uses a shadowDepth(??? it's been a while) of 1 for most of its widgets,
unlike applix (which I have) and netscape.  If I use non-CDE motif
programs under the CDE, will they inherit the CDE's X resources?  I sure
do hope so.

Thanks.

        brian

Post by Roope Anttine » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hello, I've been thinking about buying the CDE for my linux box for
> quite some time now, but I need to know a few things before I shell out
> big $$.
> 1) I also have Redhat Motif 2.0.  Will these co-exist peacefully?
> Especially if I get the dev version of the CDE?

Yes they will, because CDE puts it's libs under /usr/dt/lib and the Motif
libs are 1.2.5, so that shouldn't cause any trouble at all... BTW I think
that there ain't any way to get CDE without libs and headers for developing
purposes.

Quote:> 2) How do 'normal' motif apps handle the CDE?  I noticed that the CDE
> uses a shadowDepth(??? it's been a while) of 1 for most of its widgets,
> unlike applix (which I have) and netscape.  If I use non-CDE motif
> programs under the CDE, will they inherit the CDE's X resources?  I sure
> do hope so.

Most motif apps inherit the CDE resources quite nicely if you edit their
resource files and take all font and colour definitions out.

Roope

--
PS: Look for address here, not from headers...

        +358 9 812 7567  /  +358 49 465 902  /  +358 49 445 565
                http://myy.helbp.fi/~anttiner/index.html
   Helsinki Business Polytechnic - Institute of information technology

CDE Integration with other apps?

Post by Brian Kimbal » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> > 1) I also have Redhat Motif 2.0.  Will these co-exist peacefully?
> > Especially if I get the dev version of the CDE?

> Yes they will, because CDE puts it's libs under /usr/dt/lib and the Motif
> libs are 1.2.5, so that shouldn't cause any trouble at all... BTW I think
> that there ain't any way to get CDE without libs and headers for developing
> purposes.

RedHat just snail-mail spammed me with a list of products, one of them
the CDE.  $99 for client version, ~$250 for dev version.  I wonder if
they hacked it to conform to the free-software-file-system-standard
thingy.  If so, perhaps it conflicts.  I should really ask RedHat.

Quote:> > 2) How do 'normal' motif apps handle the CDE?  I noticed that the CDE
> > uses a shadowDepth(??? it's been a while) of 1 for most of its widgets,
> > unlike applix (which I have) and netscape.  If I use non-CDE motif
> > programs under the CDE, will they inherit the CDE's X resources?  I sure
> > do hope so.

> Most motif apps inherit the CDE resources quite nicely if you edit their
> resource files and take all font and colour definitions out.

I see.  I hate motif!!!  Ugh.

        brian

1. FreeBSD server, NT web design app and database integration problem

I am running FreeBSD server (3.2) on AMD K6II processor.  I design website
with NetObjects Fusion that runs under NT.  I am trying to integrate
Database application with the above combination.  Here's the problem:

1. NetObjects Fusion can only integrate with certain NT based database apps
such as, MS-SQL, Access.  I really do not want to have Windows as my
database server or web-server.  FreeBSD is the only web-server choice for
me.
2. I have tried using MySQL with NetObjects fusion but they do not integrate
at all.
3. There is no way that I am going with NT web-server.
4. Netobjects "object based" design let me make a good looking commercial
website and I have been using it for a while.  I am able to do better
web-design using NT based commercial object based HTML designer/editor so I
am stuck with NT based web-design app.

The site is heavy database content driven commercial site so I need powerful
and reliable database apps.  Can anyone recommend me a good combination for
object based web-design app (NT, FreeBSD or Linux)  and powerful database
server that will work beautifully with FreeBSD server (3.2) running Apache
server?

Thanks,
Joseph Lee

2. Running Dreamwever Under Linux

3. CDE: dtfile and others on second monitor

4. 2.1.72

5. gethostbyname() DNS resolves for some apps, not for others

6. sessions in ONC RPC (like OLE COM)

7. CDE, CDE, CDE, --- !@#%^*_(!#$

8. Can't use EtherExpress CARD!

9. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

10. Problem with dtbuilder (CDE app builder)

11. CDE Linux and remote X apps crashing!

12. app builder under CDE, does anybody actually use this thing?

13. runninf KDE apps from CDE