Anyone get xmcd-1.4 to compile/run under linux, X11R6, Motif 2.0??

Anyone get xmcd-1.4 to compile/run under linux, X11R6, Motif 2.0??

Post by Wig » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Title pretty much asks it all.

I downloaded the xmcd-1.4.tar.gz file from sunsite.unc.edu and tried to
install it.  I run into a couple of problems...

   1) cda fails to compile because visual.c can't #include <term.h>

   2) xmcd simply seg. faults. I traced it down and this is being caused by
      the XtVaSetValues() command that tries to assign the pixmaps to the
      four upper left check box toggle button gadgets.  It seems that after
      the call to XtCreateSimpleCheckBox() the following four calls to get
      the widgets for button_0, button_1, button_2 and button_3 do not
      return valid widgets.  anybody know how to fix this?

   3) I can get around 2) by simply not trying to set the XmNlabelPixmap
      values for those toggle buttons but then when I run xmcd the
      controller pops up followed by a dialog box that states
      "Device /dev/scd0 is not a CD-ROM!"
      and /dev/scd0 darn well is too a CD-ROM.

I'm running Linux v1.2.10, Slackware 2.3.0, gcc 2.6.3 and Infomagic's
Moo-Tif 2.0.

Would somebody please tell me how to correctly repair these faults so that
I can fix the distribution and replace the buggy version currently on
Sunsite?

Thanks,

Anyone get xmcd-1.4 to compile/run under linux, X11R6, Motif 2.0??

Post by Ronald Wah » Mon, 26 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> Title pretty much asks it all.

> I downloaded the xmcd-1.4.tar.gz file from sunsite.unc.edu and tried to
> install it.  I run into a couple of problems...

>    1) cda fails to compile because visual.c can't #include <term.h>

>    2) xmcd simply seg. faults. I traced it down and this is being caused by
>       the XtVaSetValues() command that tries to assign the pixmaps to the
>       four upper left check box toggle button gadgets.  It seems that after
>       the call to XtCreateSimpleCheckBox() the following four calls to get
>       the widgets for button_0, button_1, button_2 and button_3 do not
>       return valid widgets.  anybody know how to fix this?

Yes, I posted this for a while also. Maybe it's a bug in the shared
library of Motif 2.0 because the statically linked version will do.

Quote:

>    3) I can get around 2) by simply not trying to set the XmNlabelPixmap
>       values for those toggle buttons but then when I run xmcd the
>       controller pops up followed by a dialog box that states
>       "Device /dev/scd0 is not a CD-ROM!"
>       and /dev/scd0 darn well is too a CD-ROM.

Hmm, did you made a correct `make install' ?

Quote:> I'm running Linux v1.2.10, Slackware 2.3.0, gcc 2.6.3 and Infomagic's
> Moo-Tif 2.0.

I use Motif 2.0 from Metrolink.

Quote:> Would somebody please tell me how to correctly repair these faults so that
> I can fix the distribution and replace the buggy version currently on
> Sunsite?

I think Motif is buggy and not xmcd.

Ciao,
  Ronald.

| >> PGP key available by finger <<  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~row |
| PGP fingerprint: 9D 4A 66 7C A9 9F 6A 5F  90 45 D5 0C DF E5 CB 71 |

Post by Johannes Eder bei GSSE BS » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Title pretty much asks it all.

>I downloaded the xmcd-1.4.tar.gz file from sunsite.unc.edu and tried to
>install it.  I run into a couple of problems...

>   1) cda fails to compile because visual.c can't #include <term.h>

Don't know what happens here. Had no problems here.

Quote:

>   2) xmcd simply seg. faults. I traced it down and this is being caused by
>      the XtVaSetValues() command that tries to assign the pixmaps to the
>      four upper left check box toggle button gadgets.  It seems that after
>      the call to XtCreateSimpleCheckBox() the following four calls to get
>      the widgets for button_0, button_1, button_2 and button_3 do not
>      return valid widgets.  anybody know how to fix this?

I have made a fix in just changing the creation of the CheckBox.
Create the CheckBox just as a RowColumn to get a contaner for the
ToggleButtons and set the appropriate resources to act as  a CkeckBox.
Then create the ToggleButtons as widgets.

The rest of the program remains the same and everything works fine for me.

Johannes

Johannes Eder ---  GSSE BS4

Post by Dave Hwan » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

   >Title pretty much asks it all.
   >
   >I downloaded the xmcd-1.4.tar.gz file from sunsite.unc.edu and tried to
   >install it.  I run into a couple of problems...
   >
   >   1) cda fails to compile because visual.c can't #include <term.h>

I was compiling it yesterday, and I had the same problems. I'm not at
home right now, but I'll try to describe what I did to fix it.

In the file visual.c, you need to chance a couple of lines. At the
beginning of the file,  there a section that chooses ncurses or curses,
depending on your system. If it's Ultrix or BSD, it will be ncurses.h,
else it defaults to curses.h. On my linux system, I have the ncurses
package installed in /usr/include/ncurses, so I changed the default
curses.h, to ncurses.h. /usr/include/ncurses is already one of the -I
directories in the Makefiles, so it should have no problem finding it.

Then where you need to change #include <term.h> to <nterm.h>

after that, I could compile without any problems.

I couldn't do a "make install" though, for some reason, although the
docs tell me to do it. "./install.sh" runs the install script correctly.

Dave Hwang

Anyone get xmcd-1.4 to compile/run under linux, X11R6, Motif 2.0??

Post by Joerg Mert » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

[ Stuff deleted ... ]
: I have made a fix in just changing the creation of the CheckBox.
: Create the CheckBox just as a RowColumn to get a contaner for the
: ToggleButtons and set the appropriate resources to act as  a CkeckBox.
: Then create the ToggleButtons as widgets.

: The rest of the program remains the same and everything works fine for me.

Hmm... That's great. May you eventually post a patch in here, since it
looks quite small and more than 1 person seems interrested ? Would be
great :) I don't think I bought motif for running it statically linked ;)

Thanks

cu
--
Solong & Happy Hacking

| Stardust's Linux System :   Data, Fax & Voice 49 30 3627345          |
`Fatal Error: Found [MS-Windows] System -> Repartitioning Disk for LinuX...'

1. Xmcd-1.4 and ELF Motif 2.0?

Has anybody gotten xmcd-1.4 to compile
with ELF and Motif-2.0?

Mine dies with a memory fault every time,
and I can't seem to track it down.

Thanks,
Byron
--
Mathematicians often resort to something called Hilbert space, which is
described as being n-dimensional.  Like modern sex, any number can play

2. Now that I have a Linux server...

3. Help compiling xmcd on x11r6 xfree 3.1 metrolink 1.2.4 motif

4. Crontab syntax

5. Has anyone gotten xmcd to compile?

6. FreeBSD install problems

7. Anyone compiled Motif 2.0 with linux, XFree3.1, gcc 2.6.3?

8. What is

9. xmcd and Motif 2.0

10. Motif 2.0 Solaris and X11R6

11. Motif 2.0 on Sol 2.4/X11R6

12. Dialog Title problem with Motif 2.0, X11R6 (longish)

13. Has ANYONE gotten pcomm OR minicom to compile/run correctly?