starting x programs automatically

Post by Ronald Wipling » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Finally I could install x on a SiS board (version 3.12E)

Now I want to customize something!

My command line looks normally like:

I would like to keep this within X. When I put into .xinitrc:

color_xterm -bg red -fg white -T ROOT -geometry 80x24+12+79 &
color_xterm -bg green -fg blue -T Ronald -geometry 80x24+12+79 &

than it says:

bash/~:$

I tried to give this two lines into an executeable file with #!/bin/dh
or #!/bin/bash

but this brings me an error.

What do I miss here?

Often I would like to know something whats going on on my system, and
use often commands like w, ps -ax, ..... this often used infos I would
like to add in the menu  (submenu ??) - like "top". How can I do that,
and is there a way to keep the info open? I mean, when I use color_xterm
-e w ... & than the new window opens, the info appears and the window
close. Is there an option, that the window will not close?

Also one thing I could not figure out. I make the links to the used
server during the installation. And I can only run one server. When (if
and how) I want to connect another X client to this machine? I use now
VGA16, the other machine has a Mach64 card. Can I use X for it too? if
how? It is on the same LAN, and on an OS/2 machine.

...  for more information use:

*   http://www.trace.com.tw          *   gopher://gopher.trace.com.tw
*   ftp://ftp.trace.com.tw        *   telnet://bbs.trace.com.tw
*   sticky:  ronald  gate.trace.com.tw  (the very fast way to reach me)

*   Tel: +886 2 609-0652, Fax: +886 2 600-0132, NET: +886 2 600-2318

Ronald Wiplinger    [Taipei, 24h online]

starting x programs automatically

Post by Georges » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> color_xterm -bg green -fg blue -T Ronald -geometry 80x24+12+79 &
> than it says:
> bash/~:$
> What do I miss here?

        You should add a `-ls' option, which executes bash as a login
shell.

Quote:> Often I would like to know something whats going on on my system, and
> use often commands like w, ps -ax, ..... this often used infos I would
> like to add in the menu  (submenu ??) - like "top". How can I do that,
> and is there a way to keep the info open? I mean, when I use color_xterm
> -e w ... & than the new window opens, the info appears and the window
> close. Is there an option, that the window will not close?

        To add something in the windows manager (fvwm ?), you have to
edit either the global configuration file or your own copy. You should
find it in /usr/lib/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm. You should copy it in your
$HOME under .fvwmrc. The syntax should be easy to figure out.
        About keeping static info (w, ps, ...), you should use
xmessage : "w | xmessage &", etc...

Quote:> Also one thing I could not figure out. I make the links to the used
> server during the installation. And I can only run one server. When (if
> and how) I want to connect another X client to this machine? I use now
> VGA16, the other machine has a Mach64 card. Can I use X for it too? if
> how? It is on the same LAN, and on an OS/2 machine.

        Don't understand... You want to put an X server on another
machine ? Or you want to use an X client from another machine ? And
OS/2 ? etc.
--

1. Automatically starting program when GNOME starts

I looked all through the doc pages, man pages for GNOME, but i still
haven't found a way to start program automatically when i login in. I'm
talking about loading programs like gaim, licq, possibly some dockable
apps, etc, etc... I know their has to be a config file for the startup
somewhere. Could someone please let me know were i can change
that? Please respond to my email address.

--Min

2. Internet Connection Sharing question

3. How to automatically start a program in runlevel 3

4. pnp - Resource Management Changes (2/12) 2.5.59-bk3

5. How to start a program automatically.

6. swsusp updates

7. how to start several programs at different virtual terminal automatically when booting

8. input u-cleanup

9. How to start a program automatically.

10. Linux no password start program automatically

11. Login and logout start automatically program?

12. How start an interactive remote program automatically ?

13. start up a program automatically on reboot .