Diamond Stealth video card - blank screen

Diamond Stealth video card - blank screen

Post by John Hemming » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have recently installed Redhat Linux v5.1 OK except when I run 'startx' to
launch XWindows, a relay inside the monitor clicks to change the resolution
and then I get a blank screen.

I have the following hardware:

Computer 586 133MHz 64MB RAM 1G SCSI disk.

Video card - Diamond Stealth 64 Video RAM PCI 2MB.  The chips on the board
are Ti Video TVP3026-220PCI, S3 Vision 968 86C968-P and Stealth 64 PROM v
2.07.

The monitor is an Iiyama VisionMaster 17.  During installation, this
particular monitor is listed 5 times with (1), (2) ... (5) after each one.
I have tried several of these settings without effect.

The installation correctly identifies my card as an S3 968 type.

I can then get a text screen back using ALT F1 .... F6 keys and ALT F7 will
give a frozen XWindows screen.  This then locks the computer, the mouse is
frozen, the time at the bottom of the X screen is frozen.  I then have to
reboot.

Any ideas please e.g. any settings need to be added to the XF86Config file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
John Hemmings

Diamond Stealth video card - blank screen

Post by Arndt Mehlhor » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

getting blank screnn....
Quote:> I can then get a text screen back using ALT F1 .... F6 keys and ALT F7 will
> give a frozen XWindows screen.  This then locks the computer, the mouse is
> frozen, the time at the bottom of the X screen is frozen.  I then have to
> reboot.

> Any ideas please e.g. any settings need to be added to the XF86Config file.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> John Hemmings

I've got the same Video card, the same S3 chip and the same TI RamDac.
The exact name of my card is: Diamond Stealth64 Video 3200
I already tried a lot of hours to get this thing work. Tried other card
definitions
tried different resolutions, edited the XF86Config, so that I am really
pulling my hair.
Once I managed to get a sort of zoomed screen working (the upper left
corner of the
total screen, maybe a 320x??? resolution). This was using the definitons
of a generic
S3 card. Nevertheless I couldn't shut down the X-Server either so that I
had had
to reboot like always when I just get a blank screen. I tried to start
the X-server
bare to trace the problem, but no output file is written to disk (I have
to do a
cold Reset, file is not closed).
Everything worked fine with my old Diamond SpeedStar 24 1MB ISA-Card
(Chip: Tseng ET400).

Any help is greatly appreciated !!!

Arndt

resisting Diamond Card.

Diamond Stealth video card - blank screen

Post by Kyle Fin » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

If you are interested in a commercial server which will quickly solve your
problems try our free demo at http://xwww.xig.com/support/demo2.html.
It supports all modes and resolution fully hardware accelerated.  It takes about
10 minutes to install and setup.

Kyle

--
Check out Xi Graphics' performance marks:
http://www.xig.com/benchmarks/bmrk.index.html

Kyle Fink, Account Executive
Xi Graphics, Inc.   1801 Broadway Suite 1710, Denver, CO 80202 USA
Voice- Toll free:  1.800.946.7433, Worldwide:  +1.303.298.7478
Fax- +1.303.298.1406

1. Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM Problem (Blank Screen)

hmm, no real idea.  I'd guess your new main board is the problem
(in combination witht he card; PCI timing problems, ...). but maybe

where is this COM4 port located ??
did you have it on your 486 board too (using the *same* card) ?
some COM4 ports have address conflicts with the S3 chips due to
broken address decoders. try to disable/remove this port.

also get XFree86 3.1.2B which has some minor PCI fixes...

and try your graphics card in every single PCI slot...

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\

2. Help : File system full

3. Screen blanks white with Diamond Stealth 32

4. Where can I find float.h

5. Diamond Stealth leaves blank screen

6. Ghostscript on ODT 3.0

7. Video card for Linux: Diamond Stealth Video 64 DRAM?

8. ATI Xpression Mach64

9. Diamond Stealth 64 Video 3240 video card

10. Will X work with the Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI video card?

11. Help - Video Card Problem (Diamond Stealth 64 dram)

12. XF8632A S3V setup 24bpp on Diamond Stealth 3D video card.

13. xf86config for Diamond Stealth video card?