X won't run - can't communicate with server?

X won't run - can't communicate with server?

Post by Ronny Adsett » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a problem getting X up and running and can't find any reference in
any HOWTO's or in the man pages to what I am experiencing.

When I run startx or XF86Setup I get the following error:

_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/arthur:0

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections
giving up.
xinit: Invalid argument (errno 22): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No suvh process (errno 3): Server error.

When I run the server (X) I get no errors.

I am totally at a loss here.

I'm running kernel 2.2.1 with XFree86 3.3.3.1 (started out as a Debian
distribution).

Can anyone help?

TIA,
Ronny Adsetts

Post by Ronny Adsett » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I have a problem getting X up and running and can't find any reference in
>any HOWTO's or in the man pages to what I am experiencing.

>When I run startx or XF86Setup I get the following error:

>_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
>_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
>_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/arthur:0

>waiting for X server to begin accepting connections
>giving up.
>xinit: Invalid argument (errno 22): unable to connect to X server
>xinit: No suvh process (errno 3): Server error.

>When I run the server (X) I get no errors.

>I am totally at a loss here.

>I'm running kernel 2.2.1 with XFree86 3.3.3.1 (started out as a Debian
>distribution).

Additional data:

When I boot with kernel 2.0.36, startx works fine. Am I missing something
totally obvious here? Do I have to recompile X to use with 2.2.x kernels?
Have I set a compilation option incorrectly in the kernel compile?

Any pointers would be great.

Ronny Adsetts

X won't run - can't communicate with server?

Post by Pavel Greenfiel » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I've been having the exact same problem. I solved by enabling "Unix domain
sockets" under Networking Options when compiling the kernel. I have no clue
what it does, but is solved the problem for me.

Post by Mark Hah » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

| I've been having the exact same problem. I solved by enabling "Unix domain
| sockets" under Networking Options when compiling the kernel. I have no clue
| what it does, but is solved the problem for me.

Unix sockets are how your X clients talk to your X server...

1. vold won't start: vol_init failed (can't communicate with kernel)

I am trying to start vold on my Ultra 5 running 2.8.  For some reason
the SUNWvol* packages weren't installed, so i installed SUNWvolu,
SUNWvolr, and SUNWvolux off the CD.

when i try to start vold, i get the following:

 bash-2.03# /usr/sbin/vold -v -L 11 >&/dev/console &
 Wed Dec  5 14:54:19 2001 warning: vol_init: open failed on
/dev/volctl; No      such file or directory
 Wed Dec  5 14:54:19 2001 fatal: vol_init failed (can't communicate
with kernel)
 Dec  5 14:54:19 shockwave /usr/sbin/vold[686]: vol_init failed (can't
 communicate with kernel)
 [1] 686
 [1]   Exit 255                /usr/sbin/vold -v -L 11 1>&/dev/console

There is no /vol directory, and /dev/volctrl doesn't exist.  The vol
pseudo driver is also not installed.

I have tried loading the pseudo driver manually using:
  bash-2.03# modload /usr/kernel/drv/vol

But it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Does anyone know what i should try? How i can i create /dev/volctrl
manually?

Thanks in advance,

-Lkb

2. HELP: How to install network card driver

3. is this possible?

4. REQ: LAN PC's can't communicate w/ POP3 Server

5. Executing binary deletion on System V

6. 'Server already active for display 0' - won't start

7. inittab and telinit problems

8. Knoppix 3.3 - modem connects but won't communicate

9. kermit won't communicate with modem???

10. can't make win and linux communicate

11. Action directive won't run cgi in non ScriptAlias'ed dir?

12. Why won't NCSA run my CGI's?