X desktop shifted?

Post by Mark Abr » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have a PC with a STB Velocity 128 (4mb) and a nice 17-inch monitor.
Just installed Redhat 5.2.  When I "startx" the display is shifted to
the right, but is usable.  I have a LED on my monitor which lights
when it's not in one of it's 20 or so predefined modes, and it lights
whenever I start X.  I've been through xconf several times and tried
different settings because the shifted display bugs me.

Any advice would be welcome...

X desktop shifted?

Post by Loren Brooke » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have a PC with a STB Velocity 128 (4mb) and a nice 17-inch monitor.
> Just installed Redhat 5.2.  When I "startx" the display is shifted to
> the right, but is usable.  I have a LED on my monitor which lights
> when it's not in one of it's 20 or so predefined modes, and it lights
> whenever I start X.  I've been through xconf several times and tried
> different settings because the shifted display bugs me.

> Any advice would be welcome...

try xvidtune as root. When you get the desired position, hit the 'show'
button.

Loren

X desktop shifted?

Post by Sasch » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have a PC with a STB Velocity 128 (4mb) and a nice 17-inch monitor.
> Just installed Redhat 5.2.  When I "startx" the display is shifted to
> the right, but is usable.  I have a LED on my monitor which lights
> when it's not in one of it's 20 or so predefined modes, and it lights
> whenever I start X.  I've been through xconf several times and tried
> different settings because the shifted display bugs me.

> Any advice would be welcome...

  Hi Mark,

there are to ways to fix the problem:

1. Use xvidtune to fit the display to  your monitor. But be careful with
the setting not to crash your monitor.

2. Change the monitor settings to center the display on the monitor.
Because its not a predefined mode, it shouldnt change any of the other
modes used in windoze etc

Hope that helped
Sascha

X desktop shifted?

Post by Bev » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > I have a PC with a STB Velocity 128 (4mb) and a nice 17-inch monitor.
> > Just installed Redhat 5.2.  When I "startx" the display is shifted to
> > the right, but is usable.  I have a LED on my monitor which lights
> > when it's not in one of it's 20 or so predefined modes, and it lights
> > whenever I start X.  I've been through xconf several times and tried
> > different settings because the shifted display bugs me.

> there are to ways to fix the problem:

> 1. Use xvidtune to fit the display to  your monitor. But be careful with
> the setting not to crash your monitor.

> 2. Change the monitor settings to center the display on the monitor.
> Because its not a predefined mode, it shouldnt change any of the other
> modes used in windoze etc

I used the monitor controls (NEC Multisync X17+) to fit the screen nicely
in X.  When I run win95, the screen is shifted down and to the left by at
least half an inch.  Not a big enough bother to readjust, but it's
annoying...

--
Cheers,
Bev

1. getting strange numbers while marking text with shift or while changing desktops

Hi y'all

when I select text in joe or netscape or whereever, I get strange
numbers

When I want to select text, I hold shift and then use the arrow-keys to
select text. Everytime I do this, I get a 6 (right) a 4 (left) an 8 (up)
or a 2 (down).

When holding the keys (shift and arrow) I can select the text as normal.

When I change desktops (ALT-SHIFT-arrow) the same problem occurs.

I'm using gnome on redhat 6.1, but before I used gnome on redhat 6.0 and
then there was no problem at all...

What can I do?

2. Sending multicast packet on a raw socket

3. ERROR< shift:shift count must be <= $#

4. NFS, Linux, & printers...

5. Shift: shift count must be <= $#

6. Security hole - has noone noticed so far?

7. ???shift: shift count must be <=$# ???

8. DLPI Promiscuous Levels?

9. Shift-Prev and Shift-Next keys

10. Install problem: shift: shift count must be ???

11. Sun Java Desktop System, Release 2: Simplified Desktop Management

12. no virtual desktop, still the desktop bigger than the screen

13. Changing the default kde directory Desktop to .Desktop