startx fails after installing 6.1 RH upgrades

startx fails after installing 6.1 RH upgrades

Post by WaReZ WaNkE » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

After installing the 6.1 RH upgrades I get the following after typing
startx:

xfs: startup succeeded
xfs: fatal font server error
xfs: Cannot establish any listening sockets

and later down :

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno= 111
  failed to set default font path ' unix: -1 '
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have NO IDEA where to go from her

Dan Kosko

Allesandro: your problem also?

startx fails after installing 6.1 RH upgrades

Post by Keith Rhode » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Well, the short answer is that your TrueType fonts aren't working
> correctly. Log in as root, then open up /etc/XF86Config in vi or
> whatever your favorite text editor is, and put a '#' at the beginning
> of the line that says 'FontPath='unix/: -1''. Now try to fire up X.
> After that, you can begin work on what the exact problem is with your
> truetype setup.
> --
> ClassAct

I have TrueType Woes, too! I wonder if the Macromedia fonts may are to
blame...

startx fails after installing 6.1 RH upgrades

Post by Rand » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

internet.fr>:

Quote:>I have TrueType Woes, too! I wonder if the Macromedia fonts may are to
>blame...

Did you set chkfontpath to point to the newly installed tt fonts? I use RH
6.0 with the xfs server and haven't had any problems with TT fonts imported
from Windows and other sources.

Randy

1. RH 6.1 Install - Startx Doesn't (start)

I have just "successfully" installed RH 6.1 (KDE Wrkstation) to dual
boot with Windoz98.  Everything appeared to go well but when I enter
(from root or user) "startx" I get the following

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
_X11TransSocketUNICConnect:  Can't connect.  errno 111
giving up.
Xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X Server.
Xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

If I type startKde I get-

Kbgndwn: cannot connect to X-server
16+0 records in
16+0 records out
kcontrol: cannot connect to X-server
/usr/bin/startKde: /etc/sysconfig/sound: no such file or directory
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xdpyinfo:  unable to open display "".
krootwm: cannot connect to X-server
kpand: cannot connect to X-server
kfm: cannot connect to X-server
kwm: cannot connect to X-server

Is there some magic button I can push to get beyond this (or pointers
would be helpful - I am real new to this)?  I have the Cheapbytes
version if that helps (no hard manual).

Any and all help appreciated.

Wayne

2. LILO restore?

3. HP8595C - Large Disk Drive (36GB) fails to install RH 6.0/6.1

4. USB CDR

5. New box, Athlon 650, Freetech P7F200A2, RH 6.1, install fails

6. Use of kdm to export XWindows sessions.

7. RH 6.1 install: NEC A500 monitor FAILS. HELP?

8. Which driver should I use?

9. RH 6.1 install fail (raid0 module bombs out)

10. RH 6.1 upgrade or install?

11. Upgrading from RH 5.2 to RH 6.1 Problems

12. How painful is it to upgrade from RH 4.2 to RH 6.1?

13. Upgrade RH 5.2 -> RH 6.1