Motif........Which one dto buy????

Post by BJD » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I was thinking of buying one of those Motif packages and wondered which one
to buy.  Are some more compatible than others???  I was thinking of getting
Mootif, is that a decent one???

Any Guidance is Needed,
Thanks
Brian

Motif........Which one dto buy????

Post by Ashwin Biha » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I was thinking of buying one of those Motif packages and wondered which one
> to buy.  Are some more compatible than others???  I was thinking of getting
> Mootif, is that a decent one???

You can try out LessTiff for free, you can get the RPM packages from
http://orchis.w3.org/linux/RPM/Development_Libraries_Lesstiff.html, but
just serach for it on the Net to get the regular *.tar.gz package..Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

| NOTE: The E-mail address on top has been mangled to stop Spam Bots..please  |
|       use the address in this box for replying.                             |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Motif........Which one dto buy????

Post by Bernie Borenste » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I was thinking of buying one of those Motif packages and wondered which one
> to buy.  Are some more compatible than others???  I was thinking of getting
> Mootif, is that a decent one???

> Any Guidance is Needed,
> Thanks
> Brian

Brian,

  I use Metrolink Motif and I think it is the best.  Please note that you
must get the correct motif for your system.  If you are running Redhat 5
or 5.1, use must get Motif 2.1 for Glibc (glibc is the library system).
If you have a libc based system, then you need a Motif compiled for
libc5.  I started with Mootif, but found some bugs (minor but annoying)
and Infomagic tech support was useless.  Metrolink is expensive, but
worth it if you are going to do serious Motif work.  If you are running a
libc5 system, I will sell you my Mootif cheap.  Email if you have any
questions.

                                                Bernie Borenstein
                                                Boeing

Motif........Which one dto buy????

Post by Ted Sikor » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I was thinking of buying one of those Motif packages and wondered which one
> to buy.  Are some more compatible than others???  I was thinking of getting
> Mootif, is that a decent one???

> Any Guidance is Needed,
> Thanks

Brian,

I would stick with one of the big guns like Metroline which
strickly follows the OSF/Motif standard. The extras like XRT are a
definte plus. Also go with the latest version 2.1 or if you are on
a budget try to get a discounted version of  Motif 1.2.4 (Netscape
was written with this version and most of the suites like
WordPerfect and Applix too!) Stay away from versions * 1.2 or 2.0
* if you can. Also Motif is much more secure with libc5. It can be
outright ornery with glibc.

Regards,
--
Ted Sikora

http://tsikora.tiac.net

Motif........Which one dto buy????

Post by Riccardo Scorrett » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > I was thinking of buying one of those Motif packages and wondered which one
> > to buy.  Are some more compatible than others???  I was thinking of getting
> > Mootif, is that a decent one???

> > Any Guidance is Needed,
> > Thanks

> Brian,

> I would stick with one of the big guns like Metroline which
> strickly follows the OSF/Motif standard. The extras like XRT are a
> definte plus. Also go with the latest version 2.1 or if you are on
> a budget try to get a discounted version of  Motif 1.2.4 (Netscape
> was written with this version and most of the suites like
> WordPerfect and Applix too!) Stay away from versions * 1.2 or 2.0
> * if you can. Also Motif is much more secure with libc5. It can be
> outright ornery with glibc.

> Regards,
> --
> Ted Sikora

> http://tsikora.tiac.net

  I would suggest you to look for a free version at:
http://bock.physics.sunysb.edu/doc/lesstif-bin/lesstif.html
It won't work as well as a commercial version, but perhaps you can start with
it.

1. Motif - to buy or not to buy

I'm using a great debugger called DDD 3.0.

It uses motif. I am using a full static linked copy w/ Motif libraries
built in. Its a little buggy and I was wondering if buying a copy
of RH Motif might clear things up?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin Counts

p.s. could you cc any responses to me? thanks :)

--
Kevin M. Counts

---------------------------------------
Linux -- The Choice of a GNU Generation

2. Anyone seen the new 1.3GHz processors yet ?

3. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

4. TCP Crossed Syn's on Solaris

5. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux

6. Is PCImale-flat_cable-PCIfemale possible?

7. Which Motif to buy?

8. Is there a way to disable a specific warning from LD?

9. Which Port of Motif to buy for Linux?

10. Which Motif To Buy??

11. staroffice worth buying motif?

12. Install faile dto create MRB (Master Boot Record) on 13G HDD

13. Which Motif to Buy?