Commercial X/OpenGL for Linux - which is best?

Commercial X/OpenGL for Linux - which is best?

Post by Doug Coope » Wed, 18 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I just got a Pentium 90 system with a Matrox Millenium 4mb video board which I
want to use for Linux.  I want to use a good commercial OpenGL library, and I
know of two at the moment I can choose from.  Could I get some user feedback on
any of these packages if you have experience with them, or suggestions for any
packages I'm missing?

I figure whatever vendor I get the OpenGL from, I'll probably also get the X
Server from (I'll need a commercial X Server to drive the Matrox card).  I'm
also interested in getting Inventor libraries in the future.

My choices are:

1.      "Accelerated-X", and "Accelerated-GL" from X-Inside
2.      "Metro-X", and "Metro-GL" from Metrolink.

Thanks for the comments, I'll post a summary.

--
"Coop" - Doug Cooper - Animation Technology - Dreamworks

1. Best commercial OpenGL for linux?

What's the best hardware and software combination for reliable,
high-performance OpenGL under linux? We're looking for some mid-market
scientific visualisation here, so the free offerings (XFree86, Mesa)
that we normally use aren't going to cut it.

Any thoughts on how a high-end linux combo stacks up against a low-end
SGI (other than being a lot cheaper of course!)?

Tanks

John

2. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 1/2

3. REPOST: COMMERCIAL: OpenGL for Linux from Evans and Sutherland

4. disk question

5. COMMERCIAL: Metro Link's OpenGL - Linux

6. telnet or ssh over local network

7. COMMERCIAL: OpenGL For Linux

8. BASH complete -o broken?

9. REPOST: COMMERCIAL: OpenGL for Linux from Evans and Sutherland

10. COMMERCIAL: OpenGL For Linux

11. COMMERCIAL: I am Linux campaign slogan

12. Best SPECviewperf OpenGL Video Card for Linux?

13. Commercial: Latest Linux Best Prices