640X480 monitor- I can't size X windows!

640X480 monitor- I can't size X windows!

Post by Steve in Ph » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:24:54

HELP!  I've got a big problem.  The monitor on my linux machine can only
display 640X480 resolution.  Many of the X window screens (especially with
LINUXCONF) are bigger than that, therefore I can't get to the window buttons
on the bottom of the windows.
How can I get past this?  Is there any way to setup KDE to fit the screens
within the screen size?
 PLEASE HELP!

Post by Anita Lew » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:59:51

>HELP!  I've got a big problem.  The monitor on my linux machine can only
>display 640X480 resolution.  Many of the X window screens (especially with
>LINUXCONF) are bigger than that, therefore I can't get to the window
>buttons on the bottom of the windows. How can I get past this?  Is there
>any way to setup KDE to fit the screens within the screen size?
> PLEASE HELP!

linuxconf will run at console; so for that you can just do 'Ctrl Alt F2' or
F3, etc.  Then login as root and type 'linuxconf'  But that doesn't solve
the problem.

You can set the geometry of the windows for applications in .Xdefaults.  I
have some in mine.  You have to find the right nomenclature for the
application to do it.  Here are the ones I have:

Netscape.Navigator.geometry: =800x500+0+0
emacs.geometry: 80x25
XTerm:VT100*geometry: 80x80+10+50

You can also run the command like this on some apps:

rxvt -geometry 100x40+10+10
xterm -geometry 80x50-50+150

You say that your monitor will only do this low resolution.  Why is that?
What are the horiz and vert ranges on it?  What version of X are you using?
The reason I ask, is that it is possible to edit Modelines and sometimes
custom make one if the ranges are not enough to run higher resolutions.

Anita

640X480 monitor- I can't size X windows!

Post by Steve in Ph » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:34:51

Thanks for the response!  The monitor I have for this linux machine is an
old VGA 640X480.  The video card is better than that, but I'm stuck with
this monitor.

I was hoping for a simpler solution to this problem.  I assured myself there
wasn't any way someone would have designed application window sizes bigger
than 640X480, but it seems I was wrong.  Doesn't this seem like a problem?
I don't even get scroll bars-- the windows just appear larger than my screen
size, with no way to click the OK and CANCEL buttons.  I can tab to them,
but I end up guessing what button has control when I can't see it.

I don't suppose a different window software would help, would it?  Gnome?
So if I'm opening up these windows in KDE, how and where would I enter these
geometries?  On the command line when opening the application?  Where is
this documented?
Thanks!

Post by Toby Hayne » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:30:12

> Thanks for the response!  The monitor I have for this linux machine is an
> old VGA 640X480.  The video card is better than that, but I'm stuck with
> this monitor.

> I was hoping for a simpler solution to this problem.  I assured myself there
> wasn't any way someone would have designed application window sizes bigger
> than 640X480, but it seems I was wrong.  Doesn't this seem like a problem?
> I don't even get scroll bars-- the windows just appear larger than my screen
> size, with no way to click the OK and CANCEL buttons.  I can tab to them,
> but I end up guessing what button has control when I can't see it.

> I don't suppose a different window software would help, would it?  Gnome?
> So if I'm opening up these windows in KDE, how and where would I enter these
> geometries?  On the command line when opening the application?  Where is
> this documented?
> Thanks!

You can go virtual - actually have a desktop which is larger than the screen
resolution and have the screen scroll when you get close to the edge. This may
drive you mad instead, but it should work.

If you are running XFree86 4.0.x or 3.3.x, find the SubSection "Display" for
the colour depth you are using and add the line

        Virtual 1024 768

inside it. Change this to 1280 1024 if you need even more area.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes
--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

Post by Norman Levi » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:54:42

> HELP!  I've got a big problem.  The monitor on my linux machine can only
> display 640X480 resolution.  Many of the X window screens (especially with
> LINUXCONF) are bigger than that, therefore I can't get to the window buttons
> on the bottom of the windows.
> How can I get past this?  Is there any way to setup KDE to fit the screens
> within the screen size?
>  PLEASE HELP!

** if your monitor really can't get past that resolution (and at the price of monitors
now a days I'm surprised that you put up with it), X supports a 'virtual screen'
concept where the screen can be bigger than the physical screen.  You need to look
at /etc/X11/XF86Config and look for a section like:

  Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     800 600    # and add this line.
    EndSubsection
--
Norman Levin

greatest power, the village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the
leader.'"

Post by Anita Lew » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:13:55

>> HELP!  I've got a big problem.  The monitor on my linux machine can only
>> display 640X480 resolution.  Many of the X window screens (especially with
>> LINUXCONF) are bigger than that, therefore I can't get to the window buttons
>> on the bottom of the windows.
>> How can I get past this?  Is there any way to setup KDE to fit the screens
>> within the screen size?
>>  PLEASE HELP!
>** if your monitor really can't get past that resolution (and at the price of monitors
>now a days I'm surprised that you put up with it), X supports a 'virtual screen'
>concept where the screen can be bigger than the physical screen.  You need to look
>at /etc/X11/XF86Config and look for a section like:

>  Subsection "Display"
>        Depth       8
>        Modes       "640x480"
>        ViewPort    0 0
>        Virtual     800 600    # and add this line.
>    EndSubsection
>--
>Norman Levin

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe I tried that once when I had a
similar situation and I could only get Virtual as high as what my monitor
could actually do.  For example here, if this monitor will not do 800x600,
it is not possible to get a Virtual of 800 600.  I would be interested in
hearing back from the original poster to find out if this Virtual works for
them.

Anita

640X480 monitor- I can't size X windows!

Post by <jos.. » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:14:56

Virtual will go as far as the video card will allow such a resolution.
You cannot do 1600x1200x24  virtual on a 4 MB card, but you sure can do it
on a 8MB card.

> >> HELP!  I've got a big problem.  The monitor on my linux machine can
only
> >> display 640X480 resolution.  Many of the X window screens (especially
with
> >> LINUXCONF) are bigger than that, therefore I can't get to the window
buttons
> >> on the bottom of the windows.
> >> How can I get past this?  Is there any way to setup KDE to fit the
screens
> >> within the screen size?
> >>  PLEASE HELP!
> >** if your monitor really can't get past that resolution (and at the
price of monitors
> >now a days I'm surprised that you put up with it), X supports a 'virtual
screen'
> >concept where the screen can be bigger than the physical screen.  You
need to look
> >at /etc/X11/XF86Config and look for a section like:

> >  Subsection "Display"
> >        Depth       8
> >        Modes       "640x480"
> >        ViewPort    0 0
> >        Virtual     800 600    # and add this line.
> >    EndSubsection
> >--
> >Norman Levin

> I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe I tried that once when I had a
> similar situation and I could only get Virtual as high as what my monitor
> could actually do.  For example here, if this monitor will not do 800x600,
> it is not possible to get a Virtual of 800 600.  I would be interested in
> hearing back from the original poster to find out if this Virtual works
for
> them.

> Anita

640X480 monitor- I can't size X windows!

Post by Steve in Ph » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:40:13

Just an FYI to all that contributed to this discussion, it worked!
It works very well!  Thanks especially to Norman and Anita!
I was to the point of giving up on Linux, thinking how insane it was to have
designed application dialog windows that wouldn't fit into a standard
640X480 screen, and was considering replacing it with Microsoft, when I got
this answer and found the solution to my problem.
Thank you again!
-Steve in Phx.

> >> HELP!  I've got a big problem.  The monitor on my linux machine can
only
> >> display 640X480 resolution.  Many of the X window screens (especially
with
> >> LINUXCONF) are bigger than that, therefore I can't get to the window
buttons
> >> on the bottom of the windows.
> >> How can I get past this?  Is there any way to setup KDE to fit the
screens
> >> within the screen size?
> >>  PLEASE HELP!
> >** if your monitor really can't get past that resolution (and at the
price of monitors
> >now a days I'm surprised that you put up with it), X supports a 'virtual
screen'
> >concept where the screen can be bigger than the physical screen.  You
need to look
> >at /etc/X11/XF86Config and look for a section like:

> >  Subsection "Display"
> >        Depth       8
> >        Modes       "640x480"
> >        ViewPort    0 0
> >        Virtual     800 600    # and add this line.
> >    EndSubsection
> >--
> >Norman Levin

> I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe I tried that once when I had a
> similar situation and I could only get Virtual as high as what my monitor
> could actually do.  For example here, if this monitor will not do 800x600,
> it is not possible to get a Virtual of 800 600.  I would be interested in
> hearing back from the original poster to find out if this Virtual works
for
> them.

> Anita

640X480 monitor- I can't size X windows!

Post by Rob Malpas » Mon, 05 Mar 2001 02:56:56

OK, I have exactly the same problem - I need to run in 640x480 and I have
deleted the lines containing virtual from my /etc/xf86config file.

Now here's the wrinkle - it's made no difference!   Opening control-center
still opens a window which is too big for the screen.   Any more ideas?

Cheers
Rob

Post by Anita Lew » Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:44:06

>OK, I have exactly the same problem - I need to run in 640x480 and I have
>deleted the lines containing virtual from my /etc/xf86config file.

>Now here's the wrinkle - it's made no difference!   Opening control-center
>still opens a window which is too big for the screen.   Any more ideas?

>Cheers
>Rob

I'm not able to retrieve the earlier messages, but I thought that you would
want to add Virtual to /etc/X11/XF86Config, like so:

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "Accel"
   Device          "Primary Card"
   Monitor         "Primary Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 16
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "640x480"
      Virual       1024 768
   EndSubSection

This would give you a bigger screen to scroll around on so that you could at
least reach the top of the window to resize it.

You might also look at the X Window User HOWTO at www.linuxdoc.org in the
Hosto section and see if you can do something with geometry in .Xdefaults
An example of this is:
Netscape.Navigator.geometry: =800x500+0+0

Anita

640X480 monitor- I can't size X windows!

Post by Steve in Ph » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 12:51:00

It didn't work for me the first time I added the virtual line in my .conf file.  There were about 5 Subsection "Display" in my /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  So what I did next was add the same line:
Virtual     800 600
to each Subsection, then rebooted.  Give that a shot, and see if it helps.
Would it help if I sent my whole /etc/xf86Config file?
-Steve in Phx.

> OK, I have exactly the same problem - I need to run in 640x480 and I have
> deleted the lines containing virtual from my /etc/xf86config file.

> Now here's the wrinkle - it's made no difference!   Opening control-center
> still opens a window which is too big for the screen.   Any more ideas?

> Cheers
> Rob

640X480 monitor- I can't size X windows!

Post by Rob Malpas » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:09:29

Couldn't do any harm - yes thanks.   Actually that was a curious turn of
phrase, as I understood the older versions if you supply them with the wrong
info, you can damage your monitor.   Anyway, I'll edit your file as
required.

Cheers
Rob

Post by Anita Lew » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:41:47

>Couldn't do any harm - yes thanks.   Actually that was a curious turn of
>phrase, as I understood the older versions if you supply them with the wrong
>info, you can damage your monitor.   Anyway, I'll edit your file as
>required.

>Cheers
>Rob

The information that you have to be careful with is that which goes in the
Monitor Section - the horiz and vert sync rates.  So do be sure that this
information is correct for your monitor and edit it if it is not.  That is
the danger of using someone else's XF86Config.  And that danger is still
there even with the new versions of X, especially with an older monitor.

Anita

640X480 monitor- I can't size X windows!

Post by Josep » Sun, 25 Mar 2001 08:16:49

IIRC you can only virtual to the largest resolution defined for the
driver in the config file.
Joseph

> >> HELP!  I've got a big problem.  The monitor on my linux machine can only
> >> display 640X480 resolution.  Many of the X window screens (especially with
> >> LINUXCONF) are bigger than that, therefore I can't get to the window buttons
> >> on the bottom of the windows.
> >> How can I get past this?  Is there any way to setup KDE to fit the screens
> >> within the screen size?
> >>  PLEASE HELP!
> >** if your monitor really can't get past that resolution (and at the price of monitors
> >now a days I'm surprised that you put up with it), X supports a 'virtual screen'
> >concept where the screen can be bigger than the physical screen.  You need to look
> >at /etc/X11/XF86Config and look for a section like:

> >  Subsection "Display"
> >        Depth       8
> >        Modes       "640x480"
> >        ViewPort    0 0
> >        Virtual     800 600    # and add this line.
> >    EndSubsection
> >--
> >Norman Levin

> I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe I tried that once when I had a
> similar situation and I could only get Virtual as high as what my monitor
> could actually do.  For example here, if this monitor will not do 800x600,
> it is not possible to get a Virtual of 800 600.  I would be interested in
> hearing back from the original poster to find out if this Virtual works for
> them.

> Anita

1. Xtetris, Xmahjongg that fit in 640x480 window/monitor????

    I can't say much about Xmahjongg, but Xtetris has a nice option "-boxsize"
which allows you to pick the size of the pieces. The default is something
around 20. If you want it to fit it on your smaller screen, try with something
like 10. In other words:

xtetris -boxsize 10

    Have fun!

--

 "Police are anxious to speak to anyone who saw the crime... ladies with
  large breasts... or just anyone who likes policemen." --- Monty Python

2. Who maintains menuconfig ?

3. XFree, id'ing monitor, is IIT XGraphic ok at 640x480 (Until I Stlth64?!)

4. libpthread.so.14.not found

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. *What program can be used to scan for open ports?*

7. Mail change owner!!

8. Q: 'XtSetSensitive()' re-sizing a window

9. default windows size too large for my monitor

10. how to have window application the same size as monitor

11. Monitoring window size

12. Trident 9685/TV out (2MB), 17inch monitor - only get 640x480 (8bit)