Help

Post by Ramse » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Greetings,

I could really use some help from some more experienced users out
there.  I downloaded Xfree86 3.3.6 and installed it, ran Xconfigurator
selected the Geforce DDR and everything was fine when it tested the
server..  When I rebooted my machine is where I ran into the problem..
It halts when it gets to Loading XFont Server.  The only thing I could
find in the docs was something along these lines

"The bitmap fonts distributed with this release are compressed using
fzip rather than compress.  This means that you will probably want to
remove the old versions.  The Xservers and font server in releases
prior to 3.2a cannot read gzipped fonts, so keep a copy of the old
fonts if wish to run older servers"

 -- well I don't know what the hell this really means, I installed
over version 3.3.5 on Mandrake 6.1.  Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.