Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P

Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P

Post by Jim Kunzma » Sun, 23 Apr 1995 04:00:00



Is anyone using the Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P card with XFree86
3.1.1?  If so, what resolution and are you satisfied with the card?  I would
appreciate any experiences others have had with this card.


Thanks in advance.
-Jim

 
 
 

Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P

Post by Mihail Ioto » Sun, 23 Apr 1995 04:00:00



>Is anyone using the Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P card with XFree86
>3.1.1?  If so, what resolution and are you satisfied with the card?  I would
>appreciate any experiences others have had with this card.

Works OK. The only drawback is the 6 bit RAMDAC, if you run it in 8 bpp mode.
On the other hand it will do 1024x768NI in 16 bpp at up to 74 Hz, which is
pretty good for a DRAM card and I understand is possible because of
some special trickery of the Trio chip. Of course, in 16bpp the 6 bit RAMDAC
does not matter since the resolution is 6 or 5 bits per channel anyway.
That would probably mean that true 24 bit modes are impossible, however.

 
 
 

Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P

Post by Harald Koen » Mon, 24 Apr 1995 04:00:00



Quote:> Is anyone using the Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P card with XFree86
> 3.1.1?  If so, what resolution and are you satisfied with the card?  I would
> appreciate any experiences others have had with this card.

works fine e.g. with 1280x1024/8bpp (1600x1200 is only possible with 60 Hz),
1024x768/16bpp and 800x600/24bpp.

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
24 hours prior to complete hardware failure!      <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
Harald Koenig,                                         \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Inst.f.Theoret.Astrophysik                              //  /     \\  \

 
 
 

Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P

Post by Harald Koen » Mon, 24 Apr 1995 04:00:00



Quote:> Works OK. The only drawback is the 6 bit RAMDAC, if you run it in 8 bpp mode.
> On the other hand it will do 1024x768NI in 16 bpp at up to 74 Hz, which is
> pretty good for a DRAM card and I understand is possible because of
> some special trickery of the Trio chip. Of course, in 16bpp the 6 bit RAMDAC
> does not matter since the resolution is 6 or 5 bits per channel anyway.
> That would probably mean that true 24 bit modes are impossible, however.

the last conclusion is wrong. both the S3 SDAC ramdac and the Trio32/64
chips have three 8 bit wide DACs which allow real 24bit TrueColor,
only the LUT (RAM) is limited to 6bit/color.

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
24 hours prior to complete hardware failure!      <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
Harald Koenig,                                         \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Inst.f.Theoret.Astrophysik                              //  /     \\  \

 
 
 

Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P

Post by Pramod Jo » Tue, 25 Apr 1995 04:00:00




>> Works OK. The only drawback is the 6 bit RAMDAC, if you run it in 8 bpp mode.
>> On the other hand it will do 1024x768NI in 16 bpp at up to 74 Hz, which is
>> pretty good for a DRAM card and I understand is possible because of
>> some special trickery of the Trio chip. Of course, in 16bpp the 6 bit RAMDAC
>> does not matter since the resolution is 6 or 5 bits per channel anyway.
>> That would probably mean that true 24 bit modes are impossible, however.
>the last conclusion is wrong. both the S3 SDAC ramdac and the Trio32/64
>chips have three 8 bit wide DACs which allow real 24bit TrueColor,
>only the LUT (RAM) is limited to 6bit/color.

Hi,
        So how exactly does the 6-bit LUT affect the number of colors
available etc.  So true color is possible ?

thanks,

Pramod

>Harald
>--
>All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
>be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
>24 hours prior to complete hardware failure!      <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
>                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
>                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
>Harald Koenig,                                         \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
>Inst.f.Theoret.Astrophysik                              //  /     \\  \


--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pramod John                     Optical and Discharge Physics

Voice: (217)333-2483            University of Illinois  Urbana-Champaign

      "Blessed are the peacemakers"- Jesus Christ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P

Post by Harald Koen » Wed, 26 Apr 1995 04:00:00



Quote:> >the last conclusion is wrong. both the S3 SDAC ramdac and the Trio32/64
> >chips have three 8 bit wide DACs which allow real 24bit TrueColor,
> >only the LUT (RAM) is limited to 6bit/color.
>    So how exactly does the 6-bit LUT affect the number of colors
> available etc.  So true color is possible ?

you can only display 64 shades of red,green,blue,gray etc. (6 bit)
instead of 256 shades of ... in 8bpp PseudoColor mode, but you can
dusplay 256 different colors anyway.

TrueColor (real 24 bit or 16.7M colors) is no problem, works fine
(but I'd need a 4096*4096 pixel screen to display them all at once ;-)

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
24 hours prior to complete hardware failure!      <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
Harald Koenig,                                         \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Inst.f.Theoret.Astrophysik                              //  /     \\  \

 
 
 

Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P

Post by Yanming PEN » Fri, 28 Apr 1995 04:00:00


|> Is anyone using the Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM Trio S3 86C764-P card with XFree86
|> 3.1.1?  If so, what resolution and are you satisfied with the card?  I would
|> appreciate any experiences others have had with this card.
|>

|>
|> Thanks in advance.
|> -Jim
|>
I use miroCRYSTAL 12SD S3 trio32 with 1MB DRAM and MicroScan 5ap/ADI.
I have setup 640x480,800x600,1024x768,1152x864. I use the last 2 resolutions.

ModeLine "1024x768" 65 1024 1032 1176 1244 768 771 777 806
ModeLine "800x600"  50 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666
ModeLine "1152x864" 75 1152 1176 1408 1440 864 867 872 902
ModeLine "640x480" 25.175 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525

Hope it helps.

Good luck!