help with linux configuration

Post by Jack L » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I've been trying to get X up for a while and the video section (apparently
one of the hardest) seems to be working fine, although it doesn't fill up
the whole screen as it should (but that's a separate problem). I have an
NEC MultiSync 2A with Cirrus 5430 video card running at 2 Mb.
        The main problem however is the mouse and it just doesn't seem to be
working right. I'm not sure what model it is because it's kind of old but
it's a Logitech 3 button serial mouse. The shape is squarelike and it's at
least 5 or so years old. The back inscription says Model No. C7 (and in
printed letters (3F-9F) next to it) if that means anything to anybody.
Well, I tried loading it gpm with mouseman and microsoft with com 1 as my
default. I've tried the others but they either don't work even more or it
locks up my system. The irq and i/o are the correct specifications, since
that's what it is for my dos environment, but when I try it in linux, it
just moves erratically and clicks and highlights things without me actually
clicking it. I noticed this problem in X and is seems to stem from the
normal linux mode as well. I'm at a lost and any help that anybody can
provide would be greatly appreciated Thanks for taking the time.

jack

1. Newbie needs help with Linux configuration!

I am a newbie at Linux and am having a problem I just cannot solve.  I
have looked in the Bible, Walsh's books, all relevant How-To's and lurked
here for some time and cannot find the answer.

I am running Linux from OS/2 boot manager on PC's at home and work.
Identical installations from the same disks, etc, etc.  The specs are as
follows:

Work:   Compudyne P-90
        40 Mb Ram
        PCI/VLB w/ AMD bios
        WD 1Gb IDE C: drive
        Seagate 420 Mb IDE D: drive
        Diamond Stealth 64 w/ 4Mb Vram
        SB16/ASP MultiSCSI
        Plextor 4X Internal CD
        Linux on 380 Mb logical partition w/ 20 Mb swap

This configuration boots great, sees everything, gives me a cute daily
saying when I log in, and loads new software like nobody's business!

Home:   Clone P-90
        32 Mb Ram
        PCI/VLB w/ AMD Bios
        Promise 4030 VLB-2 Controller w/16 Mb ram
        Seagate 31220 1Gb IDE C: drive
        Seagate 31220 1Gb IDE D: drive
        Maxtor 540 Mb E: drive
        Maxtor 546 Mb F: drive
        Hercules Dynamite Pro
        SB16 ASP MultiSCSI w/Roland SCD-15 Midi daughterboard
        Plextor 4X CD-Rom
        Linux on 380 Mb logical partition w/ 20 Mb swap

This also boots fine.  I don't get the daily wisdom but no biggie.  BUT,
when I type 'setup' to load new things, the screen goes dark and nothing
ever comes up.  I have tried many different installations with different
boot and root disks, tried turning off the cache on the Promise card,
making it a 2 drive card - everything short of pulling it out all
together.  I have even done all the tricks from eide.txt with no effect.

I half suspect that my controller (or the caching) is the culprit here but
am not sure. If this is the case, is it the card itself that is
incompatable with Linux or just the caching function?  I do have the
option of moving to a SCSI HD setup but have a number of oncerns/questions
before moving that way.  Mainly:

- Would a conversion to SCSI solve the problems I've described?
- Are the restrictions for SCSI HD's and Linux the same as IDE and Linux?
- What is a good controller (preferably PCI with caching if possible)?

Sorry for the long question.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

bob

2. If I cannot in good conscience use M$...

3. Help with Linux configuration

4. Where is ip_masq_pptp in 2.2.19?

5. Help texts for Kernel configuration (was: Kernel configuration utility)

6. Boot from 5th IDE device.

7. Help installing Slakware (Linux configuration & installation book)

8. HELP: Things don't Compile under 3.0

9. I need help with a Linux server configuration

10. Need help on Samba/Linux Configuration..

11. help:Linux X windows configuration for S3 prosavage DDR b

12. Linux dialup configuration and inittab file help.

13. Help needed for Linux X configuration with ATI Rage Mobility-M PCI