4.x won't let me set virtual screen size with XF86Config's "Virtual"

4.x won't let me set virtual screen size with XF86Config's "Virtual"

Post by SubSol » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:37:14

I just got an ATI 64 meg DDR Radeon AGP card and everything works in
XFree86 4.x (tried 4.0.3, 4.0.2 and cvs) except that it won't use my
virtual desktop screen size settings that I put in /etc/X11/XF86Config
using the "Virtual" option under the subsection "Display." According
to the log, it's probing the virtual size setting instead of reading
it from the the XF86Config file:

(--) RADEON(0): Virtual size is 1920x1440 (pitch 1920)

it will set the virtual size to the highest resolution I have set
under "Modes" for instance my line is:

Modes       "1024x768" "1600x1200" "1792x1344" "1856x1392" "1920x1440"

I really only use 1024x768 but I set it to 1920x1440 just so the
virtual screen size will be bigger.  My goal is to have my Virtual
screen size to be 2048 1536, and I have set it that way in the config
like so:

Virtual     2048 1536

I set it to that virtual screen size in XFree86 3.3.6 with my Banshee
AGP card and I've never had problems with X setting the virtual size
to whatever I tell it to in XF86Config with any card for that matter
in 3.x.

A friend told me he had the same problem in XFree86 4.x and he solved
it by setting a "Modeline."  I'm using a ViewSonic PF790 and have
tried many settings in xf86config including custom setting the
horizontal and vertical syncs from the manual and have even copied the
old "Modelines" that the 3.3.6 XF86Config file had in it for this
monitor and have even used the modeline xvidtune gave me.  Still, X
is ignoring my Virtual line.  I've also used radeonconfig and setrage
programs with no luck and have made countless web searches trying to
see if anyone else has had the same problem but no one seems to use
virtual screens bigger than their video resolution these days!

Am I doing something wrong?  How do I get XFree86 4.x to use my
Virtual setting in XF86Config to create the desired virtual size
instead of it probing and setting it itself when I start X?  Or is the
feature of setting a virtual desktop bigger than the video resolution
not implemented yet in the Radeon driver?  Please help!

P.S.

My XF86Config and XFree86.0.log files are on http://solarium.2y.net/xa

1. Save and set KDE 3.x virtual desktop I'm "in"?

One app nicety is to save and restore the size of any open windows and their
position, for restoration when the user runs your app again.  I'd like to
also save and restore the current KDE 3.x "virtual desktop" I'm on.  Anyone
know if there is an API call to get/set that the virtual desktop number and
if so, a little explanation on how to use it?

thx

2. Home LAN + cable modem

3. Screen doesn't unblank with "screenblank" and "xlock" under 2.3

4. /dev/st0 /dev/nst0

5. Second drive (/dev/fd1) won't "DO IT" and "DO IT"

6. Diamond Rio PMP 300

7. Does select return "read ready" or "won't block" status?

8. m$ deletes more evidence, spurs further investigations !

9. "syslogd: unknown priority "24" " error - won't boot!

10. Second drive (dev/fd1) won't "DO IT" and "DO IT"

11. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

12. virtual console/screen -> small/tiny "screen" app??

13. STARTX: "No Screens Found"/"Can't find Display"