Want to set up GNOME. What's the shortest path?

Want to set up GNOME. What's the shortest path?

Post by Jeff Johnso » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm using Red Hat 5.1. Which RPMs should I grab to have a working
environment?

I already have X installed (and KDE, but I want to take a look at GNOME
too).

Post by James M. Cap » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I'm using Red Hat 5.1. Which RPMs should I grab to have a working
> environment?

> I already have X installed (and KDE, but I want to take a look at GNOME
> too).

ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/redhat/latest/i386/ has all the
latest RPMS. Also, definately get the GRPM tool for RPM
management (it works great, and actually looks decent -- as
opposed to RedHat's GLINT), and the GTOP tool for system info (a
graphical version of the top command).

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals
     are more equal than others."
         -- George Orwell, Animal Farm

Post by Jeff Johnso » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> I'm using Red Hat 5.1. Which RPMs should I grab to have a working
>> environment?

>ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/redhat/latest/i386/ has all the
>latest RPMS. Also, definately get the GRPM tool for RPM
>management (it works great, and actually looks decent -- as
>opposed to RedHat's GLINT), and the GTOP tool for system info (a
>graphical version of the top command).

Thanks. I got the following files:

glib-1_1_3-1_i386.rpm
gnome-admin-0_30-1_i386.rpm
gnome-core-0_30-1_i386.rpm
gnome-games-0_30-3_i386.rpm
gnome-libs-0_30_1-1_i386.rpm
gnome-media-0.30-1.i386.rpm
gnome-utils-0.30-1.i386.rpm
gnumeric-0_3-1_i386.rpm
gtk+-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm
gtop-0_28-1_i386.rpm

Do I need anything else to get up and running? What about the glib10* or
gtk+10* files? imlib*? lib*?

Want to set up GNOME. What's the shortest path?

Post by msis.. » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 18:23:10 -0400, "Jeff Johnson"

>I'm using Red Hat 5.1. Which RPMs should I grab to have a working
>environment?

>I already have X installed (and KDE, but I want to take a look at GNOME
>too).

Haha, if by the shortest path you mean the path that requires the
least effort, then that would be to wait until they actually make a
release, as in version 1.0.

Nowadays, the only path is to fend for yourself. The stuff is changing
so rapidly, that even if you get an installation working with one
version, that doesn't help you if you try to upgrade a component. I
did have a copy working a couple of months ago, but these days, I
just get failed dependency this, failed that, installing a new lib
gives a conflict with this, upgrade to v.30 of that requires v1.3 of
this lib which is needed by v.28 of some other part...and there are
libs that I can't seem to find anywhere. This is really turning me
off of rpms. Perhaps tarballs weren't so bad afterall...

Post by James M. Cap » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >> I'm using Red Hat 5.1. Which RPMs should I grab to have a working
> >> environment?

> >ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/redhat/latest/i386/ has all the
> >latest RPMS. Also, definately get the GRPM tool for RPM
> >management (it works great, and actually looks decent -- as
> >opposed to RedHat's GLINT), and the GTOP tool for system info (a
> >graphical version of the top command).

> Thanks. I got the following files:

> glib-1_1_3-1_i386.rpm
> gnome-admin-0_30-1_i386.rpm
> gnome-core-0_30-1_i386.rpm
> gnome-games-0_30-3_i386.rpm
> gnome-libs-0_30_1-1_i386.rpm
> gnome-media-0.30-1.i386.rpm
> gnome-utils-0.30-1.i386.rpm
> gnumeric-0_3-1_i386.rpm
> gtk+-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm
> gtop-0_28-1_i386.rpm

> Do I need anything else to get up and running? What about the glib10* or
> gtk+10* files? imlib*? lib*?

You should probably get all of them. The g*10 packages are
designed to allow you to have both GTK+ 1.1.x (which is
developmental and what GNOME uses) and GTK+ 1.0.x (which is
stable and what GIMP and some other programs use). ImLib is the
image rendering libraries that GNOME uses and is required
(AFAIK). I'm not sure about the libXml or libGtop or libHttp
stuff, but a good practice would be to download everything in the
directory.

Post by brent verne » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 18:23:10 -0400, "Jeff Johnson"

> >I'm using Red Hat 5.1. Which RPMs should I grab to have a working
> >environment?

> >I already have X installed (and KDE, but I want to take a look at GNOME
> >too).

> Haha, if by the shortest path you mean the path that requires the
> least effort, then that would be to wait until they actually make a
> release, as in version 1.0.

> Nowadays, the only path is to fend for yourself. The stuff is changing
> so rapidly, that even if you get an installation working with one
> version, that doesn't help you if you try to upgrade a component. I
> did have a copy working a couple of months ago, but these days, I
> just get failed dependency this, failed that, installing a new lib
> gives a conflict with this, upgrade to v.30 of that requires v1.3 of
> this lib which is needed by v.28 of some other part...and there are
> libs that I can't seem to find anywhere. This is really turning me
> off of rpms. Perhaps tarballs weren't so bad afterall...

.rpm? ok, so i have to do a little manual cleanup sometimes. is there
some other benefit to the package formats?

--brent

Want to set up GNOME. What's the shortest path?

Post by brent verne » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >> I'm using Red Hat 5.1. Which RPMs should I grab to have a working
> >> environment?

> >ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/redhat/latest/i386/ has all the
> >latest RPMS. Also, definately get the GRPM tool for RPM
> >management (it works great, and actually looks decent -- as
> >opposed to RedHat's GLINT), and the GTOP tool for system info (a
> >graphical version of the top command).

> Thanks. I got the following files:

> glib-1_1_3-1_i386.rpm
> gnome-admin-0_30-1_i386.rpm
> gnome-core-0_30-1_i386.rpm
> gnome-games-0_30-3_i386.rpm
> gnome-libs-0_30_1-1_i386.rpm
> gnome-media-0.30-1.i386.rpm
> gnome-utils-0.30-1.i386.rpm
> gnumeric-0_3-1_i386.rpm
> gtk+-1.1.2-1.i386.rpm
> gtop-0_28-1_i386.rpm

> Do I need anything else to get up and running? What about the glib10* or
> gtk+10* files? imlib*? lib*?

don't forget the ORBit-0.30. this is one of the most important
components of the GNOME. i installed from tarballs, and w/o the ORBit,
many of the apps/utils don't compile/install.

hth.
--brent

Post by jc.. » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 18:23:10 -0400, "Jeff Johnson"

> > >I'm using Red Hat 5.1. Which RPMs should I grab to have a working
> > >environment?

> > >I already have X installed (and KDE, but I want to take a look at GNOME
> > >too).

> > Haha, if by the shortest path you mean the path that requires the
> > least effort, then that would be to wait until they actually make a
> > release, as in version 1.0.

> > Nowadays, the only path is to fend for yourself. The stuff is changing
> > so rapidly, that even if you get an installation working with one
> > version, that doesn't help you if you try to upgrade a component. I
> > did have a copy working a couple of months ago, but these days, I
> > just get failed dependency this, failed that, installing a new lib
> > gives a conflict with this, upgrade to v.30 of that requires v1.3 of
> > this lib which is needed by v.28 of some other part...and there are
> > libs that I can't seem to find anywhere. This is really turning me
> > off of rpms. Perhaps tarballs weren't so bad afterall...

> .rpm? ok, so i have to do a little manual cleanup sometimes. is there
> some other benefit to the package formats?

> --brent

Other than being able to upgrade, install, and remove entire
programs/libraries/whatever from a single command line, no there
isn't a benefit. But that factor in and of itself is a good
enough reason for me to use RPMs -- there is also the problem of
programs that don't compile (I use GCC 2.8.1 -O9
-march=pentiumpro), for which RPMs are the easiest answer.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals
     are more equal than others."
         -- George Orwell, Animal Farm

Want to set up GNOME. What's the shortest path?

Post by Jeff Johnso » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I'm using Red Hat 5.1. Which RPMs should I grab to have a working
>environment?

>I already have X installed (and KDE, but I want to take a look at GNOME
>too).

Okay, I got everything that was recommended except ORB*, which I'll get
soon. However, when I went to install the first package, glib-1.1.3-1, it
said it depended on glib10. Okay, so I tried to install that, and I got

/usr/lib/libglib.so.1 conflicts with file from glib-1.0.1-2

Help!

Want to set up GNOME. What's the shortest path?

Post by brent verne » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Other than being able to upgrade, install, and remove entire
> programs/libraries/whatever from a single command line, no there
> isn't a benefit. But that factor in and of itself is a good
> enough reason for me to use RPMs -- there is also the problem of
> programs that don't compile (I use GCC 2.8.1 -O9
> -march=pentiumpro), for which RPMs are the easiest answer.

>     Jim Cape
>     http://www.jcinteractive.com

>     "All animals are equal, some animals
>      are more equal than others."
>          -- George Orwell, Animal Farm

gotcha! i can see well the compiling issue, but when using the
pre-packaged stuff, how much control do you have over where the install
is aimed? are you committed to using the packaged stuff once you begin
using it (due to compiled-in */lib locations for example)?

--brent

Want to set up GNOME. What's the shortest path?

Post by brent verne » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Okay, I got everything that was recommended except ORB*, which I'll get
> soon. However, when I went to install the first package, glib-1.1.3-1, it
> said it depended on glib10. Okay, so I tried to install that, and I got

> /usr/lib/libglib.so.1 conflicts with file from glib-1.0.1-2

> Help!

Jeff,

you may need to use /usr/local/* (this is what i use) or /opt/* (others
use this for GNOME) rather than the /usr/* directory to install
post-initial-install progs and necessary libs. i've found this to be the
simplest solution to avoid conflicting libs. i'm not sure how the
package systems work, however...

hth.
--brent

Want to set up GNOME. What's the shortest path?

Post by brent verne » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Jeff,

you may want to use /usr/local/* (this is what i use) or /opt/* (others
use this for GNOME) rather than the /usr/* directory to install
post-initial-install progs and necessary libs. i've found this to be the
simplest solution to avoid conflicting libs. i'm not sure how the
package systems work, however...

hth.
--brent

Want to set up GNOME. What's the shortest path?

Post by brent verne » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Jeff,

you may want to use /usr/local (this is what i use) or /opt (others use