xfs won't start at boot time

Post by Andreas Treto » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

since I installed XFree 4, my system is unable to start xfs at boot
time, giving me the following output to /var/log/messages:

Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: usage: xfs [-config config_file] [-port
tcp_port]
Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: xfs startup failed

It runs without any problem when I start it manually. What am I missing
? Suggestions are greatly apprecciated.

Thanks
--
Andreas Tretow

xfs won't start at boot time

Post by Hal Burgi » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>since I installed XFree 4, my system is unable to start xfs at boot
>time, giving me the following output to /var/log/messages:

>Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: usage: xfs [-config config_file] [-port
>tcp_port]
>Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: xfs startup failed

>It runs without any problem when I start it manually. What am I missing
>? Suggestions are greatly apprecciated.

Turn it off. You don't need it. 4.0 has the same capabilites built in.

--
Hal B

--

xfs won't start at boot time

Post by S. Uma » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Did you upgrade xfs with 4.0? Also, since truetype suppport is built
into xf86 now you can just use the XF86Config file FontPath's instead
of xfs (unless you are serving fonts to someone else).
--

Prof. S. Umar
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy

http://compsci.cas.vanderbilt.edu/~umar/resu.htm

Post by Eric D. Fethe » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> since I installed XFree 4, my system is unable to start xfs at boot
> time, giving me the following output to /var/log/messages:

> Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: usage: xfs [-config config_file] [-port
> tcp_port]
> Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: xfs startup failed

> It runs without any problem when I start it manually. What am I missing
> ? Suggestions are greatly apprecciated.

> Thanks
> --
> Andreas Tretow

Logon as root and type (without ' marks):

'chkconfig --level 35 xfs on'

This will turn on xfs on runlevels 3 and 5 which is what you will normally
run X from.

Later,

Eric D. Fether

"Stupdity should be painful!"

xfs won't start at boot time

Post by o1flam » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

chkconfig --del xfs
I had the same problem in XFree-3.3.5 and that solved it.
If you don't want to do that, make sure that your /tmp directory is not
full.
do df to find out.

o1flame

> Hi,

> since I installed XFree 4, my system is unable to start xfs at boot
> time, giving me the following output to /var/log/messages:

> Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: usage: xfs [-config config_file] [-port
> tcp_port]
> Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: xfs startup failed

> It runs without any problem when I start it manually. What am I missing
> ? Suggestions are greatly apprecciated.

> Thanks
> --
> Andreas Tretow

xfs won't start at boot time

Post by Scott Hasse » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

You really shouldn't do that. First of all 4.0 comes with a new font
server if you feel the need to use xfs at all, and the parameters are
not the same. Secondly, 4.0 supports truetype fonts in the standard
fontpath, so there really is no reason to run the extra daemon.

> > Hi,

> > since I installed XFree 4, my system is unable to start xfs at boot
> > time, giving me the following output to /var/log/messages:

> > Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: usage: xfs [-config config_file] [-port
> > tcp_port]
> > Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: xfs startup failed

> > It runs without any problem when I start it manually. What am I missing
> > ? Suggestions are greatly apprecciated.

> > Thanks
> > --
> > Andreas Tretow

> Logon as root and type (without ' marks):

> 'chkconfig --level 35 xfs on'

> This will turn on xfs on runlevels 3 and 5 which is what you will normally
> run X from.

> Later,

> Eric D. Fether

> "Stupdity should be painful!"

xfs won't start at boot time

Post by Leslie Smit » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have this same problem on my redhat system, it is in your
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs script

The trouble is that your old options you could use have changed with the
new xfs.
Hence it is telling you that the parameters are wrong

If you are in redhat 6.x

login as root and type setup
choose system services
un * xfs
choose OK

It will not bother you anymore
I believe that you now do not need it.

Les

> Hi,

> since I installed XFree 4, my system is unable to start xfs at boot
> time, giving me the following output to /var/log/messages:

> Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: usage: xfs [-config config_file] [-port
> tcp_port]
> Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: xfs startup failed

> It runs without any problem when I start it manually. What am I missing
> ? Suggestions are greatly apprecciated.

> Thanks
> --
> Andreas Tretow

xfs won't start at boot time

Post by Derek Clarkso » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
    Are you saying that the XFS server is no longer needed in X4.0.1 ??? My
font server is so stuffed up it just hangs if I try and start it either
manually or when booting.

Regards,
Derek.

> I have this same problem on my redhat system, it is in your
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs script

> The trouble is that your old options you could use have changed with the
> new xfs.
> Hence it is telling you that the parameters are wrong

> If you are in redhat 6.x

> login as root and type setup
> choose system services
> un * xfs
> choose OK

> It will not bother you anymore
> I believe that you now do not need it.

> Les

> > Hi,

> > since I installed XFree 4, my system is unable to start xfs at boot
> > time, giving me the following output to /var/log/messages:

> > Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: usage: xfs [-config config_file] [-port
> > tcp_port]
> > Jun 20 14:57:19 locutus xfs: xfs startup failed

> > It runs without any problem when I start it manually. What am I missing
> > ? Suggestions are greatly apprecciated.

> > Thanks
> > --
> > Andreas Tretow

xfs won't start at boot time

Post by Kenneth R?rv » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>    Are you saying that the XFS server is no longer needed in X4.0.1 ???
>    My
>font server is so stuffed up it just hangs if I try and start it either
>manually or when booting.

As long as there is no need to serve fonts to other machines, there is no
need for xfs either. Setting the FontPath in XF86Config will work just
fine, probably better in your case ;) For truetype fonts, I use the
freetype module, just add 'Load "freetype"' (or xtt) in the Modules section
of XF86Config.

--
Kenneth R?rvik         91841353/22718452

0554 OSLO               home.no.net/stasis

xfs won't start at boot time

Post by Aaron » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hey:

Maybe you can help me with this.  I have been trying to use Type1 fonts
and Speedo fonts and they are in my FontPaths in XF86Config, but
when I run startx and check my logs they say that those paths for
those two types of fonts are invalid.  Any idea why?

Thanks for any help,

Aaron
ender at provalue.net

xfs won't start at boot time

Post by Kenneth R?rv » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Maybe you can help me with this.  I have been trying to use Type1 fonts
>and Speedo fonts and they are in my FontPaths in XF86Config, but
>when I run startx and check my logs they say that those paths for
>those two types of fonts are invalid.  Any idea why?

Have you checked that the font directories have valid fonts.dir and
fonts.scale entries??

--
Kenneth R?rvik         91841353/22718452

0554 OSLO               home.no.net/stasis

1. httpd won't start at boot time

My httpd wasn't coming up at boot time, so I ran the SysV Init Editor and
pulled httpd into the 'runlevel 3 start' window.

When I reboot, I don't see httpd start, and I can't get to my web server.
However, when I run SysV Init Editor, it shows httpd running in runlevel 3.
 If I try to stop the service, it fails (probably because it's not
running), and if I then start it again, eveything is OK, and my server
works fine.

I obviously didn't go about installing httpd into my startup scripts
successfully.

My question is: Can someone give me hint on how to go about installing a
daemon like httpd into my startup scripts?

Thanks,
Jeff

2. Redial script for pppd...

3. xdm won't start at boot time

4. Problem with NIS under Debian

5. wwwoffled won't start at boot time

6. Questions on setting Linux up

7. Apache won't start at the boot time

8. Misc problems

9. xfs won't start?

10. xfs daemon won't start, any ideas ?

11. kppp won't start first time

12. xfs problems ; xfs fails to start properly.??

13. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install