dvips doesn't look good

Post by Ari Yochanan Shapi » Sun, 28 May 1995 04:00:00

When I use dvips and use the -o option, which converts the .dvi file
into a postscript file, the characters look very jagged.  I am using the
regular computer modern fonts.  The only way I can get the characters
to look reasonable is to magnify the picture 4 times , and then shrink
it down again.  Is there any way to make the fonts come out smooth?

Ari Shapiro

1. Why doesn't X-Windows look as good as MS Windows?

I've installed Linux many times on several machines
and my experience in every case is that
X Windows produces a decidedly grainy and off-color
look to things compared with what I see under
Windows.  At this moment I'm looking at two
machines, each showing the same web page under
Netscape.  Both machines use ATI boards, both use
Viewsonic monitors.  No contest.  I used Red Hat 5.2
to install the Linux this time, so what I have are
Red Hat settings.  (They're no different in quality
than what I used to get under 5.0 when I did my own
configuring.)

Is my experience atypical?  I'd love to hear that by
making some simple adjustment I might be able to get
Linux (which I prefer over NT for a number of
reasons) to look as good as its
less stable rival.

Norman Miller

2. Can't get variable address in hex

3. Why doesn't XFree look as good as under Win95?!!

4. umask error with Sun mounting Linux NFS

5. 3c574TX looks good, but doesn't work

6. XSSI - variable testing??

7. Why doesn't XFree look as good as under Win95?!!

8. Personal Search Agent

9. DVIPS doesn't run with 1.3.76 !

10. DVIPS doesn't run with 3.1.76 !

11. known-good serial port doesn't work under FreeBSD

12. ipmasqadm everything looks good but it don't work

13. Looking for a good application to play Audio Cd's