Ftp problems

Post by Jeff » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I am using redhat 4.2.  I can connect to my isp while I am in x-windows
but when I go to an xterm window and try to ftp to any site other than
my isp all I get is Host Name Lookup Failure.  If I ftp to my isp it
works fine.  Thanks for any help.

Ftp problems

Post by Don Krau » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I am using redhat 4.2.  I can connect to my isp while I am in x-windows
>but when I go to an xterm window and try to ftp to any site other than
>my isp all I get is Host Name Lookup Failure.  If I ftp to my isp it
>works fine.  Thanks for any help.

Check your /etc/resolv.conf file. It needs to have the IP address
of you ISPs nameserver listed. The nameserver is what does the
Host Name Lookup. You may have to email your ISP to get this information.

The pertinate lines from my /etc/resolv.conf:

search gte.net
nameserver 206.124.64.253
nameserver 206.124.65.253

This lists the primary, and secondary nameservers.

=Don=

Ftp problems

Post by Jay Daniel » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >I am using redhat 4.2.  I can connect to my isp while I am in x-windows
> >but when I go to an xterm window and try to ftp to any site other than
> >my isp all I get is Host Name Lookup Failure.  If I ftp to my isp it
> >works fine.  Thanks for any help.

> Check your /etc/resolv.conf file. It needs to have the IP address
> of you ISPs nameserver listed. The nameserver is what does the
> Host Name Lookup. You may have to email your ISP to get this information.

> The pertinate lines from my /etc/resolv.conf:

> search gte.net
> nameserver 206.124.64.253
> nameserver 206.124.65.253

> This lists the primary, and secondary nameservers.

> =Don=

  You can add your DNS server address's with Netconfig under control panel
where it says name.  Remember to put them on separate lines.

1. FTP problem using TIS ftp-gw

Hi,

I have a very strange problem, that I'd like some input on. We have
built a firewall looking like this:

                                THE INTERNET

                                  |\ |
                                  | \|

            +-----+   +-----+   +-------+
            | Sun |   | VAX |   | Cisco |
            +-----+   +-----+   +-------+
               |         |          |

   +-----------+
   | Wellfleet |
   +-----------+

  -------------------

           +-------+
           | Alpha |
           +-------+

The Sun is the proxy-gateway with TIS fwtk installed. Now, what we want
to do is to FTP large (1.6Gb max) amounts of data from the Alpha to the
VAX, via the Sun using ftp-gw as proxy server.

What happens is that when we do it this way, 50 Mb takes about an hour,
instead of taking a couple of minutes, which would be normal.

When we FTP from the Alpha to the Sun (direct FTP, no ftp-gw involved),
the transfer rate is normal. If we FTP from the Sun to the VAX is also
normal. And the most astonishing thing is that if we FTP from the Alpha
via the Sun (now using ftp-gw) back to the Alpha (twice through the
Wellfleet) the transfer rate is also normal.

I've checked the traffic with an analyzer, and it looks quite alright.
I've tried fooling around with the MTU size, to get all packets to be
the same size, but still no success.

It seems that ftp-gw upsets the TCP kernel in the Sun (running SunOS 4.1.4)
in some strange way.

I'd very much appreciate some suggestions on this one, especially from
the TIS guys, if you read this.

Thanks,
Peter

2. Magic 6.4.4 for Linux uploaded to sunsite.unc.edu

3. FTP problem about using Win95 ftp

4. GCC compiled for SCO?

5. Linux FTP problem -- A VERY ODD problem

6. Proxy-aware ftp clients

7. MEMORY Problems/FTP problems

8. diag - must specify a device to test - ??

9. FTP problems - possible ipfwadm problem?

10. Talk problem and ftp problem with my Linux(2.0.33)

11. Linux FTP problem -- A VERY ODD problem

12. Firewall+FTP Problems HELP!!!

13. Ftp problems with Netscape from unix server