/etc/X11

Post by mike » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I use rh 5.2

I am confused ( that is normal ). The /etc/X11 directory has a lot of
the config files that are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. I checked for symbolic
links had none, directory linked "none", Hard links " YES!!!" ( first
question why when I take a listing of the directory the hard link number
is still at 1, is the number wher useing "ls" the hard link count).
There is a X86Config under the /etc/X11 and one under the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 but they are not hard linked.

I have been making all my changes to the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. ( I think i
moved the X86Config to a different name for a back up and cp it back. So
I that could have screwed up the hard link.)

So can some one tell me if theirs are hard linked together.

I also would like a good linux book if one could suggestes a book I
bought the Unleashed linux third edition but it reminds me of the man
pages. not specific enough. Is "running lunix" a good book.

mike

/etc/X11

Post by Somethin » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I use rh 5.2

> I am confused ( that is normal ). The /etc/X11 directory has a lot of
> the config files that are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. I checked for symbolic
> links had none, directory linked "none", Hard links " YES!!!" ( first
> question why when I take a listing of the directory the hard link number
> is still at 1, is the number wher useing "ls" the hard link count).
> There is a X86Config under the /etc/X11 and one under the
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 but they are not hard linked.

> I have been making all my changes to the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. ( I think i
> moved the X86Config to a different name for a back up and cp it back. So
> I that could have screwed up the hard link.)

> So can some one tell me if theirs are hard linked together.

On my system symbolic links are used.  You can make sym links using ln
-s.

Quote:> I also would like a good linux book if one could suggestes a book I
> bought the Unleashed linux third edition but it reminds me of the man
> pages. not specific enough. Is "running lunix" a good book.

Read through the Linux documentation project.

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/LDP/gs/gs.html
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html#ss3.1
http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/

/etc/X11

Post by Jeff Ivers » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Here are some books which may help:

Running Linux
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565921518/iversonsoftwarecA

A Practical Guide to Linux
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201895498/iversonsoftwarecA

Linux : The Complete Reference (Complete Reference)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0078824613/iversonsoftwarecA

>I use rh 5.2

>I am confused ( that is normal ). The /etc/X11 directory has a lot of
>the config files that are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. I checked for symbolic
>links had none, directory linked "none", Hard links " YES!!!" ( first
>question why when I take a listing of the directory the hard link number
>is still at 1, is the number wher useing "ls" the hard link count).
>There is a X86Config under the /etc/X11 and one under the
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 but they are not hard linked.

>I have been making all my changes to the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. ( I think i
>moved the X86Config to a different name for a back up and cp it back. So
>I that could have screwed up the hard link.)

>So can some one tell me if theirs are hard linked together.

>I also would like a good linux book if one could suggestes a book I
>bought the Unleashed linux third edition but it reminds me of the man
>pages. not specific enough. Is "running lunix" a good book.

>mike

Kind Regards,
Jeff Iverson
--
Iverson Software Co.  507-235-9209 - voice
418 N. State St. #7   507-235-8835 - fax

1. Upgrading to 4.6.2...X11 config in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 or /etc/X11?

During the next week, I plan to upgrade my machine to 4.6.2.  When I
installed the installation of X11 that I have now, I built it from
source with the ports tree, and it put the config files in the normal
location /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.
        However, I'm aware that in the past, FreeBSD has packaged the
X configs to go into /etc/X11, and I also remember that back when I was
running 4.4 on a different machine, the port asked you before the build
which of the two locations you'd like your X configs to go to.
        What I'm wondering is this:  If I do the upgrade, and have it
upgrade my X-Window installation, is it going to be smart enough to see
which place to look for my configuration?  I like freedom of choice with
things like this, but I hope the package tools are keeping all this
freedom in mind at upgrade time.

Anybody done the upgrade already on a machine with the configs in /usr?

--
|-+{ Brent A. Busby  } +-|  "Elstree...? Remember me? I had a part in |

|-+  Normal, IL  (USA) |-|   history. Look at me. Now I work for the  |
|-*  FreeBSD UNIX 4.5  *-|   BBC.   Life is not what it used to be."  |

2. bad substitution

3. X11 error: execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)

4. Does Linux support 3Com Fast Etherlink XL 10/100MB card?

5. execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)

6. How to assign a question mark

7. problems customizing xdm with /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources

8. HP Deskjet printer set-up

9. R5 install problem: "execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)"

10. /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole

11. Need a copy of the Red Hat 6.2 default xinitrc (from /etc/X11/xinit/)

12. debian xfree86 cannot stat /etc/X11/X

13. XFree86 will not read /etc/X11/XF86Config